GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,325 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Antike Duellum» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Opening with ferrum rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was wondering if going heavy on iron early can be a viable strategy. At first sight, it looks like a mid-/late-game strategy.

Yesterday, I tried going for ferrum early and I soon realized I had to switch to aurum if I wanted it to work. I gathered a lot of ferrum in the meantime and when the time came to fight, I had some.

I ended up with a heavy gold production (+ commercium) and just my 3 inital ferrum cities.

I won the game, but I feel it was because:
- my opponent made quite obvious mistakes
- it was a long time after I developed Commercium that he did as well

So I am still not sure if early ferrum-aurum and ferrum-marmor are viable strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a ton of experience with this game, but my impression is that it would be hard to do a ferrum opening and win with it. I assume that focusing on ferrum would allow you to do more attacks, but the positions of the two sides are so far apart that it takes a number of regular move actions (or the investment of gold into the two appropriate knowhows) in order to get into position for a single attack -- and then your forces are gone and need to be militiaed again and then moved back into position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignatius Austriacus
msg tools
It can make sense to open ferrum, esp. when you go 2nd and the other guy has opened gold. It allows you to go ferrum-gold-marmor and then hit scientia with 4 of each resource and 4 coins for moneta, a VP and an extra legion.

Production-wise moneta is essentially worth 3 cities, which makes up for you delayed colonization start. But after iron-gold-militia-duellum, you have 3 units and can found 3 cities per duellum-turn.

ignatius

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Actually by "opening with ferrum", I meant building ferrum cities very early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.