Subject: Arkham Horror vs. Eldritch Horror? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cage P
Sweden
flag msg tools
Hi
Im wondering about the difference between the two. Ive heard both that
Eldrich Horror is a improved Arkham Horror AND that they are two very difeerent games. So im wondering wich is more accurate, if i get Eldritch do
i ever need to try Arkham? How similar are they thematic and gameplay wise?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! Welcome to BGG. This has been discussed at length several times. Allow me to point you to a few conversations:

Arkham Horror vs. Eldritch Horror never played either, pretty sure I would like both. If I was gonna buy one tomorrow which should I pick and why?
Should I try Arkham Horror when I have Eldritch Horror
Eldritch or Arkham for the best solo experience?
Worth getting it on 2016?

Both are fantastic games and have their fans. Odds are if you try one and love it, you'll start to wonder about the other too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want the nickel tour, here's my input and opinions:

Arkham Horror - A game about traveling around the town of Arkham, fighting monsters and closing gates. Best with 4-5 players, takes about 4-5 hours.

Eldritch Horror - A game about traveling the globe, searching for clues to solve a mystery. Best with 2-4 players, takes about 3-4 hours. Similar rules to Arkham but much has been streamlined and trimmed down.

They're both good games, IMHO, but I think the difference comes down to these factors:

1) Which concept appeals to you (exploring a town or traveling the world)
2) How many people you typically play with and how much time you have each session
3) How much complexity you can tolerate in the rules (Arkham, in general, has more detailed rules for many aspects)
4) Which experience appeals to you (whether you want more monster-fighting or more mystery solving)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldritch Horror requires at least one expansion to make it a complete base game aka Eldritch Horror: Forsaken Lore. Factor in the cost, thanks FFG. My feeling is you get a pricey, based on MSRP, demo game. It's been awhile, as I remember, that focus mechanism should have been included in Forsaken Lore, but you can add it in without buying another expansion. Then you have a game.

If you are not looking for horror, Lovecraft, Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island comes to mind as a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cage P
Sweden
flag msg tools
Thank you for the replies.
Youre right ill probably end up trying both as i am a big Lovecraft fan
Thank you for the links and info. Probably gonna start with Eldritch as
it seems easier and faster to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug L
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I love Arkham. It is a beast to setup and takes up a ton of space, but once its out, it plays really well. It is very immersive. I play solo with 4 characters and once you understand the rules (watch a couple of play throughs online) it flows pretty easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.