Hide
23 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: How many minis have you assembled and/or painted so far? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
I got the core game in Feb this year and all the expansion in May.

- Assembled all the monsters
- Painted Lion, Gorm, Kingsman, Butcher, Antelope and Dragon Tyrant
- Assembled 34 survivors
- Painted 20 survivors

I'm a total beginner painter and it takes me 3 days, on average, to paint a survivor. It really takes me a loooooong time. Anyone else in the same boat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hwknight wrote:

- Assembled 34 survivors
- Painted 20 survivors

I'm a total beginner painter and it takes me 3 days, on average, to paint a survivor. It really takes me a loooooong time. Anyone else in the same boat?

I have assembled the 7 monsters + around 20 survivors. Wouldn't dare to paint them, for I lack the knowledge and/or the skill to do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
voltemands voltemands
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Your doing well!

I've a history in mini painting when I was younger but haven't painted a single mini yet. But as above, i doubt I ever will. I wouldn't dare deface such beautiful models. I'll commission their painting in the future.

I have built the starting survivors and the monsters I have faced so far: white lion, SA, butcher, phoenix, the hand, Kings man and a few raw hide survivors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. R.
Lithuania
flag msg tools
badge
Miss! Does no damage to Liquid Metal Slime!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the game for about two months now, played it in 9 sessions and so far I have only assembled all the monsters besides the Watcher and Phoenix. Also assembled Starting,Rawhide,Intimacy and additional cloth survivors.

Haven't started painting, but I will only touch the minis only after I had some exercise with the other miniatures (have a starter set for WH40K).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
voltemands wrote:
Your doing well!

I've a history in mini painting when I was younger but haven't painted a single mini yet. But as above, i doubt I ever will. I wouldn't dare deface such beautiful models. I'll commission their painting in the future.

I have built the starting survivors and the monsters I have faced so far: white lion, SA, butcher, phoenix, the hand, Kings man and a few raw hide survivors.

Thanks

My painting is pretty crap, but I like the feeling of pride that every mini I've painted myself. I'd prefer to get them commissioned, but simply can not afford it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy O'Connell
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Painting is like anything though: the more you do it, the better you get at it.

When I first started on the KD minis I was coming back to painting after a years-and-years long hiatus and it was real slow going: it definitely took multiple days to bang out a survivor and weeks for the monsters and the results after all that time were...not good.

But, you know, you get better as time goes on, and I can knock out a pretty decent-looking survivor in a few hours (not including drying times).

I did the Sunstalker a little while ago to the green/brown reference from the adult Sunstalker one-off, and I've been working on painting to the references since then, and I find that actually speeds up the process quite a bit: that might be something that you find helpful.

Another thing that helps is watching Youtubes. It might not seem like it, but spending some time with Kujo and Dr Faust, just watching their workflow is another thing that gets you to better results faster.

Also, get good with colored inks: that's been my biggest time-saving/output-improving revelation during the last year or so.

Bottom line is that if you keep at it, you're practically guaranteed to get better. And, until you do, Simple Green is hella cheap at the Autozone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a beginning painter too, and while my stuff looks bad compared to an experienced painter, I was surprised how it isn't hard to have it look at least as good as a prepainted figure you would buy. When I look at my stuff on the board I get excited and proud of myself lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
freudianslip27 wrote:
I'm a beginning painter too, and while my stuff looks bad compared to an experienced painter, I was surprised how it isn't hard to have it look at least as good as a prepainted figure you would buy. When I look at my stuff on the board I get excited and proud of myself lol

Agreed, I suppose the Butcher and my Zanbato survivor are my favourites,
I don't finish my minis off with the matte spray, just in case I decide to do a few touch ups. Patience, a good brush and a steady hand can produce some decent results. I have Serastro's YT channel to thank for much of what I've learned so far.

image hosting over 2mb

image share
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Battarra
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mb

Monsters:

- all 7 of the core box
- Gorm, Sunstalker, Lion God

Survivors:

Around 21-21 plus a couple of pin ups
I built all the unarmored, rawhide, leather and lion figures.
After that some spare Gorm and Screaming figures as the campaigns progress.

Pretty much stuck on painting.
I painted too much chibi models lately (Super Dungeon explore and Arcadia Quest)and I find the KD ones a bit fiddly. Also I don't have an airbrush and the biggest monsters are not really doable without one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Assembled all the kickstarter content + Pinups of Death + various Pinups

Waiting for a friend of mine who's going to paint my set

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sai harris
msg tools
I'm a maniac. I bought and painted everything to a very high standard within a month. I literally went to work, came home and did hobby for about 8 hours. I couldnt let it go unpainted.

My mini collection always needs to be fully painted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My personal collection is around 50 painted, think I've done probably about the same in commission work, more monsters, fewer survivors
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Martyn
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Styfen wrote:
hwknight wrote:
I don't finish my minis off with the matte spray, just in case I decide to do a few touch ups.

Don't worry about that, you can do touch ups afterwards easily when you're dealing with Matte spray and even reseal afterwards. I (and quite a few others) will matte spray part way through a paint jobs to protect what's been painted so far.

What matte spray would you recommend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathon pendleton
msg tools
Ive painted all the monsters except manhunter and most of lion knight. Ive probally assmebled and painted 30-40 Surviors try to have a broad mix of gear and weaponry.

it takes me about an hour id say to build and paint. I have very little talent in it, but i do find it enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
testors dullcote- nothing beats it for matte varnish, at least that I've ever tried (which includes at least a half-dozen brands). stuff's expensive, but unlike other stuff like primer, there's no cheaper brand I've ever found that compares.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captn_Winkle .
msg tools
I always paint right after I assemble so I have ready:
White Lion
Butcher
Kings' Man
White Speaker
Beyond the Wall
Chosen
Gold Smoke Knight
King
Mother
Nightmare Ram
Phoenix
Pin Up Architect
Pin Up Lioness
Pin Up Savior
Slender Man
Spidicules and babies
Starting Survivors
The Hand
The Watcher
Visionary (female)
Candy & Cola
Kara
Messenger of the Spiral

Aaaaand I think that's it so far

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
hwknight wrote:

- Assembled 34 survivors
- Painted 20 survivors

My progress is very similar to yours, nearly identical. I'm not a new painter at all, but I am still slow (plus I paint fairly sporadically).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lehane Richards
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I've assembled and painted the four starter survivors, all base monsters, and all expansions except for the Sunstalker, the Dung Beetle Knight and the Manhunter. The Sunstalker is assembled and partially painted, and the DBK and Manhunter are partially assembled as I'm going to paint certain parts of them in pieces to make the painting easier.

Prior to KD:M I had only painted a very small handful of minis. I knew from the get-go that I would never be able to match some of the paint jobs that you see online. This hasn't bothered me as you don't see other people's paint jobs when you play, only your own, and they look a lot better than the drab grey of an unpainted piece!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Martyn
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This one? There's a lot of products that come up under that name...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Testors-Dullcote-Lacquer-Aerosol-9...gcgkAAOSwPcVVr59J

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lehane Richards
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Dullcote leaves an awesome finish BUT it's very soft. Light bumps can still result in paint chips.

My finishing regime is to give my models two coats of Krylon Crystal Clear. It's a gloss and it dries VERY hard. Over that I put a coat or two of Dullcote.

I have compared minis sprayed only with Dullcote to ones sprayed with Crystal Clear and Dullcote and couldn't detect any visible difference. Any parts of the mini that need to shine I then paint 'Ardcoat.

When you coat a mini just with Dullcote, when the Dullcote wears away due to handling you're exposing the paint, which can now be easily damaged. If you have Crystal Clear underneath, you'll see the gloss show through when the Dullcote wears down. It's an easy to see indicator of you needing to add some more Dullcote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's definitely worth considering for metal models, but I generally don't have any problem with chipping on plastic or resin...I occasionally re-prime things but, IDK, maybe just lucky or anal about how I handle models.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G H

California
msg tools
I've assembled all the monsters both core and expansion. Some promo figures as well. About 20 survivors from the core game including starting and intimacy.

I've painted a huge total of ZERO. I can't paint for shit. I've had plenty of failed attempts through my years of playing Warhammer. My minis will probably go unpainted forever soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greasy Reese
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Styfen wrote:
spiralingcadaver wrote:
testors dullcote- nothing beats it for matte varnish, at least that I've ever tried (which includes at least a half-dozen brands). stuff's expensive, but unlike other stuff like primer, there's no cheaper brand I've ever found that compares.

Absolutely this. It's the only matte varnish that I can use without any fear of frosting ruining the model.

I absolutely do NOT recommend Army Painter Matte Varnish, that stuff... Oh the number of models I've had to rescue with Testors + a hairdryer after it's decided to ruin them.

Thank you so much for this. The matte finish I have has completely muted the colours of the paint. I'm guessing that's what you mean by "frosting", because that's exactly what it looks like. I was super disappointed to see my hours of work on my first ever painted mini washed out by the matte finish. I'm going to have to try this other product.

Also...

7 Monsters Assembled, 2 Painted (*):
Lion*, Antelope*, Phoenix (still need to attach hands), Butcher, King's Man, The Hand, Gorm

12 Survivors Assembled, 7 Painted(*):
4 Starting(*), 3 Rawhide(*), 3 Lion, Twilight Knight, Adam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.