$30.00
Vincent van Beelen
Netherlands
Wageningen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What happened to me is that I had Durin's Bane at -24 HP, The Dark Pit as the active location, enough characters to exhaust, but no cards in my drawing pile/deck.

Did I win because zero is more than -24

or

Did I loose because with no deck left, I cannot win?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Munn

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, when you say you had Durin's Bane at -24 HP, do you mean that you had managed to place 24 damage on him? Because then his remaining HP would be 3, since it starts at 27. Or did you actually manage to place 51 damage on him? If so, well done; how did you manage that?

Now to answer your question. X on cards is allowed to be 0, including when you choose for it to be 0. For example, I've often seen We Are Not Idle included in non-Dwarf decks, just to cycle through one's deck faster. When the player drew We Are Not Idle, he would play it, say "I'm exhausting 0 Dwarf characters to gain 0 resources," and then draw 1 card. Result: every time he drew that card, he would put it in his discard pile and draw another one to replace it -- so his deck effectively contained 47 cards instead of 50, and so he could get to his "good" cards that much quicker.

Therefore, I think you're allowed to voluntarily choose to exhaust 0 heroes to discard 0 cards. The combined printed cost of 0 cards is, of course, 0. And 0 is indeed greater than -24, so I'd say that you won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mabry
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmunn wrote:
First, when you say you had Durin's Bane at -24 HP, do you mean that you had managed to place 24 damage on him? Because then his remaining HP would be 3, since it starts at 27. Or did you actually manage to place 51 damage on him? If so, well done; how did you manage that?

Now to answer your question. X on cards is allowed to be 0, including when you choose for it to be 0. For example, I've often seen We Are Not Idle included in non-Dwarf decks, just to cycle through one's deck faster. When the player drew We Are Not Idle, he would play it, say "I'm exhausting 0 Dwarf characters to gain 0 resources," and then draw 1 card. Result: every time he drew that card, he would put it in his discard pile and draw another one to replace it -- so his deck effectively contained 47 cards instead of 50, and so he could get to his "good" cards that much quicker.

Therefore, I think you're allowed to voluntarily choose to exhaust 0 heroes to discard 0 cards. The combined printed cost of 0 cards is, of course, 0. And 0 is indeed greater than -24, so I'd say that you won.

I'm not sure this is correct. The FAQ says no values can be negative. This includes hit points (even though you are allowed to place more damage tokens on them than their total hit points).

Since 0 is not greater than 0, you cannot discard Durin's Bane from play.

(1.43) Modifiers of variable quantities

The game state constantly checks and (if necessary) updates the count of any variable quantity that is being modified. Any time a new modifier is applied, the entire quantity is recalculated, considering all active modifiers.

A quantity cannot be reduced below zero: a card cannot
have “negative” cost, stats, keywords, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent van Beelen
Netherlands
Wageningen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I had it at 51 damage. 3 Erebor Battle Masters in play -- with 9 dwarf allies in total -- can do a lot of damage. Add Dain for another +1. That's even more.

Alright. If a number cannot become negative in LOTR LCG, than I cannot beat 0 wounds with 0 points. So, I lost, fair and square. Hadn't thought about leaving cards in my deck for Dark Pit until it was too late.

In the end, I removed Beravor from the deck; too much card draw. I played again and this time I won.

Thank you for your replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.