A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Persistent confusion re Minion Chart rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Smith
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you tell when you're supposed to roll any result on the minion chart and when you're supposed to roll a Minion specifically?

If a card says 'Roll once on the Minion Chart and place *that minion* at a random location', does that mean reroll any event results or not? And if a card (or effect) is a type of attack, does the villain attack result count for that or not (villain attack is always described as an 'event', not a 'minion')?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grendelsbayne wrote:
How do you tell when you're supposed to roll any result on the minion chart and when you're supposed to roll a Minion specifically?

If a card says 'Roll once on the Minion Chart and place *that minion* at a random location', does that mean reroll any event results or not? And if a card (or effect) is a type of attack, does the villain attack result count for that or not (villain attack is always described as an 'event', not a 'minion')?

There has been an errata to change the wording on these types of cards to things like: "Roll once on the Villain’s Minion Chart and work out the result..."

Agents of Evil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grendelsbayne wrote:

Basically, unless the card or effect says to re-roll events, or to re-roll non-events, you work out the result. So "work out the result" becomes the default (whether it's stated or not) and you follow any instruction that is an exception to that.

If you are lingering, for example, and you are attacked for rolling a 1 on your lingering check, you work out the result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
As the previous posters said, there's a few errata'd exceptions - otherwise you get the thrill of an event happening at a location nobody's present at because of the random Lair card draw.

I'm sorry I can't provide anything more specific than this. I'm afraid trawling all the old rules posts in the forums is the only way to find something more specific.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, as others have said, event results count too in those cases. It would have been better if it had been worded "if you get a minion result, place in a random location", as the given wording does suggest the result must be a minion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so, just for 100% clarity, the consesus is even if a card specifically says something like 'you're attacked by a minion', the result of the roll can still be an event (unless explicitly ruled out). Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grendelsbayne wrote:
Ok, so, just for 100% clarity, the consesus is even if a card specifically says something like 'you're attacked by a minion', the result of the roll can still be an event (unless explicitly ruled out). Correct?

Technically correct, however there aren't any cards that say "you're attacked by a minion". There are some that say "you're attacked, roll on the chart to see what has attacked you" (or something close to that), in which case you could roll an Event and not a Minion. You would work out the result unless the instruction told you to re-roll events or something specific.

The net effect of all the errata is that "work out the result" is the default, unless something tells you specifically to re-roll certain results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But you're correct that you sometimes have to adjust the theme of the card in your head a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcking wrote:
grendelsbayne wrote:

Technically correct, however there aren't any cards that say "you're attacked by a minion". There are some that say "you're attacked, roll on the chart to see what has attacked you" (or something close to that), in which case you could roll an Event and not a Minion. You would work out the result unless the instruction told you to re-roll events or something specific.

The net effect of all the errata is that "work out the result" is the default, unless something tells you specifically to re-roll certain results.

Right, those are the ones I was thinking of. Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Since some of the Villains (including fan-designed ones) have no Minions, just Events, the adjustments mentioned above had to be made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe O'Donnell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they took care of this ambiguity for the most part on the expansion cards and in erratas as mentioned. Whenever I come across something like this, I just ask myself what makes more sense thematically. If I'm attacked, I reroll Events, if it's supposed to be an Event, I reroll minions. This is a game about making a story, at least how I see it, so having it make sense thematically is more important than following everything to the letter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.