Subject: How long will this be playable? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Hoffmann
United States
Fort Lee
Virginia
flag msg tools
SO my LGS is selling a dented box copy of the base game for $15.

First off, is there still an App? And if so, will it allow new downloads/accounts/whatever I need to play? I ASSUME so, but...

Even if I can only play it for the next month, it'll be worth that. But assuming I can pick up expansions for 75% off or so, how long do you HONESTLY think I(we) will be able to play this game?

Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Markovich
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HBS has stated that they have no intention of pulling the app. As long as it still runs on versions of iOS and Android, it'll be available. It doesn't look like the app will be going anywhere for awhile.

It's well worth the $15 that your FLGS has it for. And if you're looking for expansions, add-ons, and what not for discounted prices, please take a look at a sale page I have of Golem Arcana stuff... http://clixaccessories.com/GAsalepage.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Salvato
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding on to what Karl said, the App, while very handy, is not absolutely necessary to play the game. The App only really does a few things:

1) It crunches the numbers. GA's combat system has quite a few variables when calculating hits and damage; since the App knows where the models are, it can do the math for you.

2) The App allows you to build armies, as the points values are not marked on the models or cards. This was done so that point values could be tweaked as necessary if overpowered units were discovered. Additionally, the Knights - or pilots for the golems - only exist in the app - there are no cards for them, and neither are there any physical representation of the various gods that you can use.

However, all of that app-only information is readily available here on BGG. There are a few excellent Excel spreadsheets that list every bit of data for the Knights, Relics, and Golems that I have used to plan out army building.

3) It can keep hidden information. There are a few scenarios where entering a map square triggers a hidden event - perhaps you find a piece of tech, or you're stuck in a trap, etc. The App can act sort of like a gamemaster. No app means no surprises, but honestly it's not that big of a deal.

4) It allows you to save and resume games. Not enough time to finish the game? Just save and clean up the pieces. The next time you fire up the app, the game will be waiting for you, keeping track of hit points, locations, everything.

Essentially the app just does the boring/bookkeeping stuff so you can focus on the gameplay. Minus the app, it's just like any other minis game, albeit perhaps a bit more mathematically complex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Markovich
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone actually created cars for the knights. Check here for details.... https://golemarcana.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=101&start...

I had them printed. They were a bit pricey for a one-off run (about $40 for all 3 factions, IIRC) but they look really good. They obviously wont be TDI encoded, but still make a great reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the game, and am one of its biggest fans, but I'd never want to play it without the app.

I'm very happy to know that the app is being maintained and isn't going anywhere anytime soon....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus there will always be people to make the app run. Whether it is through a virtual machine running a version of iOS that it will run on. People are innovative that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gimle Larsen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Has Anyone tried iOS10 with GA. I am rather reluctant to update it my iPad is really pushy on the issue. Really not respecting a no. So safe to
Update?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Huntington
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have access to my physical materials right now, but I loaded the app on my iPad Air running iOS 10 and it works just fine. I loaded the army builder and everything was there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.