Subject: Wow, that's a good game. A couple of rules questions though rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played last night Eldritch Horror with my girlfriend for the first time. I'm not sure how much she enjoyed it, but after just 1 play it has become my 2nd favorite game after Legendary Marvel (which cannot be topped, though). Of course we've lost, and of course I've lost an investigator mid-game, but it was a blast!

I'm sure we've made several mistakes throughout the game, but nothing too major as far as I remember. Some questions from the top of my head regarding the rules:

1. Gates can only be closed if you have an other-world encounter, right?

2. What is with the small text underneath some cities? Couldn't find anything in the rulebook/reference guide about that. For instance, it says underneath Tokyo 'Defeat a monster". I guess you have some beneficial effects from that, but how do you get them?

3. If you encounter the Expedition token, from what pile do you draw?

4. Why on earth is Azathoth the recommended Ancient One? As I did not look at the back of the cards, I was expecting to see what happens when he awakens, but apparently we lose as soon as he awakens... That was shocking!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:

Yes, and the card has to clearly state that the portal is closed. Some positive outcomes do not close the portal, they retreat doom or give you an artifact.

AdelinDumitru wrote:
2. What is with the small text underneath some cities? Couldn't find anything in the rulebook/reference guide about that. For instance, it says underneath Tokyo 'Defeat a monster". I guess you have some beneficial effects from that, but how do you get them?

It's a hint towards the most likely outcome. There's no guarantee, but it sets up expectations.

AdelinDumitru wrote:

The expedition deck.

AdelinDumitru wrote:
4. Why on earth is Azathoth the recommended Ancient One? As I did not look at the back of the cards, I was expecting to see what happens when he awakens, but apparently we lose as soon as he awakens... That was shocking!

He's not a very complicated ancient one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea R
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi Adelin,

here's the answer from my side:

AdelinDumitru wrote:

Mostly yes and if you succeed in them. You select as encounter a "Other world encounter" and resolve it; the cards will tell you when a gate can be closed.
AdelinDumitru wrote:

The text under the cities on the map is what you most likely will benefit from an encounter in those cities. This is a high possibility though.. not certainty.
AdelinDumitru wrote:

From the expedition deck. The expedition token goes on the location indicated on the back of the expedition deck. When you reach the token you can decide to do the expedition encounter to draw the first card (representing the location) and resolve it. Usually from these cards you get artifacts.
AdelinDumitru wrote:

The reason you'd start with Azatoth is because it doesn't add any particular rule\setup\consequence reaching 0 doom therefore the easiest to play and get used to the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both! Another question - each skill can be improved by improvement tokens just with +2 maximum, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Gilbert
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
Thank you both! Another question - each skill can be improved by improvement tokens just with +2 maximum, right?

Yep!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea R
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:

That is correct. You can't go beyond the +2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:

It's worth saying that it is possible for a gate to be closed (or discarded) through other means, but only in circumstances that cards explicitly dictate. For example, a Mythos card might say "discard one gate from any space" and that won't require you to have an Other World Encounter - you just discard the gate directly (this is also independent of whether any monsters are on that space; they will just remain there).

Without explicit card text, though, yes Other World Encounters are your way of closing gates (and as stated by others, in fact these still need to say "Close this gate" for the gate to be closed!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still don't understand something about the doom-omen connection. When the Omen token moves, do I also move the Doom token? Or do I move it only when there is a gate corresponding to the Omen sign on the board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
I still don't understand something about the doom-omen connection. When the Omen token moves, do I also move the Doom token? Or do I move it only when there is a gate corresponding to the Omen sign on the board?

When the Omen moves, advance Doom by 1 for each gate corresponding to the Omen sign on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heck, we could have solved the 2nd mystery had we known that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea R
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
Heck, we could have solved the 2nd mystery had we known that!

Be aware that if you have.. say.. 3 gates with the same sign, you move the Doom by 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, we've managed to close most of the gates throughout the game. We played by moving the Doom token whenever the Omen token moved, and by adding +1 for each gate corresponding to the current sign on the Omen track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
Yeah, we've managed to close most of the gates throughout the game. We played by moving the Doom token whenever the Omen token moved, and by adding +1 for each gate corresponding to the current sign on the Omen track.

Wow, must have been a short game! Also, don't forget that when an investigator dies, you also advance the Doom by 1. Most insane/wounded encounters on the back of the investigator card give you an opportunity to retreat that Doom though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a 2nd game tonight, and now I have even more questions! For the moment, though, a basic one: how do you defeat monsters? what is a monster's tokens? i thought its toughness is indicated by the number in the right corner, and if you place that many health + sanity tokens on it you defeat it. i'm not so sure after looking it up on the internet though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
Played a 2nd game tonight, and now I have even more questions! For the moment, though, a basic one: how do you defeat monsters? what is a monster's tokens? i thought its toughness is indicated by the number in the right corner, and if you place that many health + sanity tokens on it you defeat it. i'm not so sure after looking it up on the internet though...

Not precisely.

You have two rolls to make whenever you fight a monster... at least most monsters. The first one is a will check, at whatever modifier is by the will symbol (head) on the top line. If you get a number of successes equal or exceeding the other number on the line, you take no damage. Otherwise, you take sanity (brain) damage equal to the difference. The monster takes no damage from this roll.

You repeat the process on the next line, except that you use strength (guy flexing) for the test, and you take health (heart) damage equal to the difference if you don't get enough successes. However, this roll also does damage to the monster equal to the number of successes you get (even if you take damage at the same time). If the damage the monster takes is greater than his toughness, he dies. Otherwise, you put the damage on him and he lives, although wounded.

At least that's the way most monsters work. There are a few exceptions, but they'll be listed on the monster token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cali _Gozer
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oef....guess I've been playing wrong for a while then...

I've always assumed that if you don't roll enough successes in a combat encounter to overcome the monster's damage, you do not deal any damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Another question: why do some AOs tell you to set aside some monsters? For instance, Shub-Niggurath tells you to set aside x monsters. what do you do with them afterwards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cali _Gozer
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There will be certain events later on in the game that will call on these monsters specifically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it's just so that you'll have easier access to them ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:

Partially; it definitely helps, when being ambushed, to have the monster close at hand. There are also some thematic reasons, and in the case of a few AOs who have you set aside a bunch of cultists, it affects game balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:

In the case of Shub (at least) the monsters spawn as an effect of the reckoning. Having them to one side means (a) it's easier to find and (b) the monsters aren't already on the board - which is important since these provide your counter limit before getting the big one (you can choose what to spawn, so obviously you pick Goat Spawn while one is available).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
AdelinDumitru wrote:

In the case of Shub (at least) the monsters spawn as an effect of the reckoning. Having them to one side means (a) it's easier to find and (b) the monsters aren't already on the board - which is important since these provide your counter limit before getting the big one (you can choose what to spawn, so obviously you pick Goat Spawn while one is available).

You're right! We've managed to defeat all cultists before any reckoning and thus those specific monsters have not been spawned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
Thanks! Another question: why do some AOs tell you to set aside some monsters? For instance, Shub-Niggurath tells you to set aside x monsters. what do you do with them afterwards?

You just keep them set aside if they're not in play. The other effect this has is that it means they won't be available to draw from the monster cup should a random monster spawn or one ambush you due to an encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knapp
United States
Yellowstone National Park
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
AdelinDumitru wrote:

(you can choose what to spawn, so obviously you pick Goat Spawn while one is available).

Whoa I didn't know this. This makes the cultists much less scary than I thought they were. I've been randomly drawing one of the three each time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to report that in the 3rd game I do not think we have made any egregious mistake!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.