Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Say
England
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I have just returned from a vacation in the US and in my travels from Washington to Boston I visited numerous Game Stores -

The objective of the visits was to pick up as many of the Adventure Packs as was possible whilst at the same time obscuring just how much it was costing from my wife....

Both objectives were completed in that I managed to pick up every single AP [other than the POD Gencon ones] ever produced and I am still alive to tell the tale. I also picked up the DE packs before I went on holiday.

I now need to organise and store them. I have a custom made wooden box on it's way which will hold 3,500+ cards so I have the physical storage sorted but I would like some advice on how others organise and divide their collection.

Do folks keep each DE/AP together? Do you split them up and store things by card type ie Encounter Deck/Heroes/Allies etc. Do people then further divide the card types by sphere or do folks do it a completely different way?

The cards will be stored vertically and so I also need some guidance on the 'divider' cards to use/label. Obviously though the divider labels depend very much on how you organise the cards.

All thoughts/oservations welcomed.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Burbidge
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely want to hear more about this wooden box. Any pictures? Where did you score something that will hold all the cards? The thing must be giant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike De Groote
Belgium
Heist-op-den-berg
antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I store and sort them using the dividers found here

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/124760/lord-rings-lcg-ver...

these are the vertical ones I use the horizontal ones. they look great are easy to make and make it easy to find your stuff again when you need it

this is how my collection looks like

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Frazer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
For encounter cards I keep the Deluxe Expansion with the Adventure Packs. I store the scenarios in order first and the encounter sets behind them. For the player cards I sort them by sphere.

I keep all my cards sleeved (penny sleeves for the encounter cards and more substantial sleeves for the player cards.

I use BCW cardboard boxes for storage (I'm using the 550's which work well for storing 3 Saga expansions at a time but are a bit large for a single DE/AP combo and a bit small for 2 of them. If I reorganize I'll either go up or down a size and see how that goes.

I make my own dividers for the encounter cards (printed return address labels stuck onto custom cut manilla folders):

The player cards are divided by type (Ally, Attachment, Event):

3500+ cards sounds... really heavy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Krogmeier
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is shameless self promotion, but if you're looking for vertical dividers, I can recommend these: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/103472/vertical-themed-di...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Say
England
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Here you go....

There is a guy in the UK just starting out to make bespoke storage solutions. He is up for making just about anything. What started out as a generic catch-all storage solution soon morphed into bespoke requests for a bunch of folks. He is happy to ship to the US but the postage costs might be high'ish.

Check out Game Store Pro on KS and email him.

He is usually quick to reply although I know he is currently busy fulfilling orders from the KS so it may take him a little longer than normal.

Regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Troutman
msg tools
mbmb
I store encounter and quest cards in the core box, with a Broken Token organizer and dividers by Ryno. I used dividers by GeckoTH initially, but they kept getting bent due to their shape. Turns out having text on the dividers helps me find what I want easier, so I greatly prefer Ryno's at this point. I have found that putting player cards in the core box makes it somewhat difficult to examine them for ease of building a player deck, and it also fills up the box by quite a lot which leaves much less room for expansions.

So, I took a leaf out of Master of Lore's book and put my player cards in a binder. Now, his binder uses Legolas as cover art, but I replaced it with Arwen.

If you're just going to hand me a pile of player cards in a box, albeit sorted by type (hero, ally, event), I'm not going to know what I want, nor will it be easy to ensure I have 3 of each. (Also, I sleeve my player cards. I used to sleeve encounter cards also, but they don't get shuffled much; it was filling up my box; and my sleeves of choice are not cheap.)

... Slight off-topic, I use ScorePal for Android to log my game sessions, so I know what quests I've played, but you can also use FFG's official LOTR Quest Log. At the very least, I recommend some sort of quest logging, because it creates incentive to play new quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
store the scenarios in order first and the encounter sets behind them. For the player cards I sort them by sphere.

Me too. I have the scenarios and encounters in a Hobby Lobby Artist Case with Broken Token dividers, and the player cards in a separate (different style) artist's case with home made wooden lathe dividers.

For extra geekiness, I decorated each box with a vinyl sticker (usually used for the back windows of cars). They cost maybe $10 total.

Chyron8472 wrote:

If you're just going to hand me a pile of player cards in a box, albeit sorted by type (hero, ally, event), I'm not going to know what I want, nor will it be easy to ensure I have 3 of each. (Also, I sleeve my player cards. I used to sleeve encounter cards also, but they don't get shuffled much; it was filling up my box; and my sleeves of choice are not cheap.)

1) How do you organize the player cards? Alphabetical won't work with the flood of expansions so I imagine it's chronological?

2) I also stopped sleeving the encounter cards. There are so many scenarios, none of them are getting specifically shuffled more than another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Troutman
msg tools
mbmb
Robrob wrote:
Chyron8472 wrote:

1) How do you organize the player cards? Alphabetical won't work with the flood of expansions so I imagine it's chronological?

2) I also stopped sleeving the encounter cards. There are so many scenarios, none of them are getting specifically shuffled more than another.

I used to sort them Sphere > Card Type > Cost. But I've come to realize that cost doesn't necessarily determine usefulness, and it made it hard to distinguish the post-release cards compared to the quest I was playing; plus when I'd get a new pack, I'd have to re-sort many many cards.
So now, I have my cards sorted Sphere > Card Type > Expansion Type > Release Order > Card Number

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Frazer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Robrob wrote:

Sphere -> card type (Ally, Attachment, Event) -> Alphabetical

I do most of my deckbuilding using online using tools like RingsDB. I can store the decklists there and rebuild them pretty quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Miller
United States
Alhambra
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sfrazer wrote:
Robrob wrote:

Sphere -> card type (Ally, Attachment, Event) -> Alphabetical

I do most of my deckbuilding using online using tools like RingsDB. I can store the decklists there and rebuild them pretty quickly.

Same here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Say
England
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hello,

I have posted on here before about a chap who ran a KS recently making bespoke boxes for people...I have now received my LOTR LCG box and pretty much organised it - so I thought I would share some pictures. The box came ready assembled and unfinshed. Simple Hard waxoil finish and it looks great.

The box was £34! At the moment it holds all the non-saga/POD cards from the Core through to the Grey Havens.

It won't hold much more so I will need another box to hold the SAGA's/Nightmare decks and POD's. He can make boxes to any size but this one is heavy enough so I wouldn't suggest getting a bigger box made up if you were going to order.

I did want to ask a question about organisation. I am really new to the game and in fact have only just got to the Conflict at the Carrock although I have purchased all the DE's/AP's to date.

In terms of organisation the dividers I printed off [then laminated] have Heroes/Allies/Attachments and Events for each sphere and a separate tab for each encounter set.

My intention is to play through the game in order so as I open each AP/DE I will add the cards to the relevant sphere [and sleeve them]. IN this way then each AP/DE I play will only have cards upto that DE/AP to select from. I presume this is the way most people approach playing the game - only use cards available at the point the AP/DE was printed?

How do other people organise their cards? Once you have added the cards from the AP/DE into the Allies section for example do people try and then keep the cards organised by AP/DE? I would think that to do that is nearly impossible?

Given I don't intend in the short term to replay each AP/DE then adding newer DE/AP's to the available pool of cards isn't going to be a problem as I won't need to 'unwind' anything so not having them sorted by AP/DE isn't going to be a problem - is it?

One final question about playing the SAGA's. Given that the SAGA's take place before the core set I presume the majority of cards in the core set and onwards cannot thematically be played in the SAGA's. Is there a list of those cards that can be used in the SAGA's from the main core game?

Many Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schulz
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks really nice with those graphics. If I were you, I'd hold off on buying a second box. You might consider binders for the spheres. Its so much easier to construct decks, and is faster, too. That would free up space in your box for future expansion & nightmare decks. Take a look at Ultra Pro binders - Pro Series. Otherwise you are going to need another box, consider the 5000+ cards currently in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.