Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower» Forums » Variants

Subject: Homebrew Hero - Orruk Megaboss rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve D
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi all,

I got to play my first Silver Tower game this weekend and boy was it fun, thoroughly enjoyed it and certainly want to get a lot more games out of it. This is where I am hoping this awesome community can help me!

A month or so ago I bought the Orruk Megaboss, I don't play AoS sadly simply because the gaming group I used to throw dice with rage quit after the death of 8th. It was a fantastic mini so decided to buy it just on the reasons of its bloody awesome. I'd like to get some use out of it however so been trying to get it playable in Silver Tower if nothing else.

Below is some experimental rules I was toying with, bear in mind I've only played one game and only seen a handful of heroes so not sure if its under/overpowered. I am hoping this forum can help me out there!

I was trying to keep it characterful, make him quite killy without being totally gamebreaking.

Orruk Megaboss
Mv3 / Sv5+ / Ag2+

Boss Choppa(3+) Combat 4+ 1
Rip-tooth Fist(5+) Combat 4+ D3

Strength from Victory : Each time you slay an adversary you may make an additional Boss Choppa attack against an adjacent enemy - this only applies once per round

Waaagh! (5+) : Add +1 to your Hit rolls for each hero in the current chamber for the current phase

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you are enjoying the game and you are already inspired.

At the moment, every hero has a basic 1+ attack. It avoids turns where you can't do anything.

Waaagh! is a bit powerful. +1 for every hero is a lot of hitting power, when combined with other special attacks. You should make it +1 for orc and goblin heroes, -1 for all other allies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve D
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
That 1+ attack seems so obvious now it has been pointed out, didn't spot that before, thankyou!

Hmmm, maybe you're right. I didn't consider it being too OP. The idea behind that would be on a 6 (which isn't guaranteed) you basically get (depending on the number of players) Rip-tooth fist for a 1+. But then I guess that opens up having the ability to do 3 attacks of D3 damage each.

Not sure if the -1 penalty would work for the group I game with however. The only minis currently available to use are the boxed set, and this Megaboss.

Maybe Waaagh! could be a 1+ modifier to the Rip-tooth action cost? Gives you a 50/50 chance of being able to use it then at a 4+ cost instead of 5+?

It'd be a guaranteed reduction to my hit rolls every time so would be a wasted skill. Any ideas on making something non hero race related, but keeping it suitably Orcy?

Thanks for the feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few notes on this:

Move 3 is very fitting, but I think you have the Save/Agility switched up. Characters with high Agility tend to have a higher Move as well, and characters with Move 3 tend to bottom out at Save 4+.

This character lacks a 1+ Damage effect, which significantly limits his usefulness in combat. At 3+, the Boss Choppa should probably hit on a 2+ or deal 2 points of damage - or simply dropped to a 1+ Requirement in order to fill that particular hole in his kit.

Likewise, his Rip Tooth Fist should be beefed up for the high cost. Again, I would say you should buff up the hit number or drop the cost, either going to a 3+ rather than 5+ or dropping from a 5+ to a 3+. This will make this ability much more reliable.

For Strength From Victory, I see no reason why this needs to be limited to once per turn. You're only dealing 1 damage with the attack, and it would take some real shenanigans to set up multiple adversaries with 1 wound left to try and abuse it.

Finally, we come to Waaagh! This ability is the one part that I feel is overpowered, but only conditionally. In a 4 player game, you're essentially guaranteeing hits on all your attacks - something that no character can do currently - but you're only looking at a potential +1 boost in a 2 player game. Personally, I would change this to a +1 to hit for other heroes in the same chamber - or we could really jazz up his theme of rousting up his allies and make it grant an extra 1 pip Hero die when he or an ally slays and Adversary.

With that taken care of, there are a few things that you missed that characters need: you need to define the character's traits (Bladeborn, at least, but I'd need to double check the other traits for what the other should be), and you need to define a bonus Renown ability for him (hm... probably based on number of dice gained during the turn... Probably 1 Renown per 3 extra dice). I think that will build the character out nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve D
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Wow, thank you for the amazingly fast replies. I definitely came to the right place!

Idea behind the Sv was to not make him too tanky, make him more killy than tank. And likewise, not give him an agility too high, idea being he's quite slow for his bulk (its a colossal miniature!). Again, thanks - didn't spot I'd got the agility the wrong way around

Thank you for pointing out the Renown bonus, I knew I'd forgotten something!

Mv3 / Sv4+ / Ag5+

Boss Choppa(1+) Combat 4+ 1
Rip-tooth Fist(5+) Combat 4+ D3

Strength from Victory : Each time you slay an adversary you may make an additional Boss Choppa attack against an adjacent enemy

Waaagh! (5+) : Add +1 to your Hit roll if the whole team is in your current chamber (this would as describe above give you a greater chance of having Riptooth available in a given turn - and still needs a 5 to be able to use it in itself)

Renown: Gain an additional renown point if you slay an adversary via Strength from Victory

How does that feel now?

I'll get back to the traits, I don't have them available at the moment and haven't been involved in a game that makes use of them yet so not sure on their actual purpose

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MarvelBeatsDC wrote:

Waaagh! (5+) : Add +1 to your Hit roll if the whole team is in your current chamber (this would as describe above give you a greater chance of having Riptooth available in a given turn - and still needs a 5 to be able to use it in itself)

It sounds like you might be confusing the cost to activate something with the chance to hit with it. +1 to hit doesn't improve your chances of being able to activate Riptooth, only your chance to hit with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve D
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Sorry, I wrote that terribly.

I should have saved this post until I got home and not written it towards the end of a work day!

I meant (in my head at least) that it'd be balanced by still needing a 5+ to activate Waaagh!, a 5+ to activate Riptooth but would give a greater chance of hitting it once used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Waagh! is definitely better now, no longer varying in power based on the number of Heroes in the game. However, there are still some issues with it. First off is the fact that both Rip Tooth Fist and Waagh! trigger on a 5+, which you'll only average 1 of each turn. Now that it just gives a +1 to hit, it is exceptionally underwhelming for the cost and difficulty to set up, and is something that I wouldn't really consider using most of the time.

If Rip Tooth Fist were dropped to a 3+ or even a 4+ (and, thus, reliably giving you access to it 2x per turn) cost, or the To Hit values for Boss Choppa and Rip Tooth Fist were upped to 4+ and 3+ respectively, then it would be worth using, IMO.

I would probably up the Renown reward for the character to 2 Renown, as it's really quite tricky to set up and likely won't occur often, but not the nearly impossible tasks that 3+ renown rewards call for.

Finally, you still need to assign some traits to the character. Probably Crazed and Bladeborn (he's all about dealing damage, after all), but, again, I'd need to double check the key words again before saying for certain.

Other than that, the character's starting to look pretty good. The Move/Save/Agi are right in line with what I would expect from the figure. We just need to finagle the attacks and specials into line, and this could be a pretty solid figure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
And welcome to the geek!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve D
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
@Jared - That's a good point, makes it quite difficult to actually pull off with such high costings. I didn't get chance to look at the traits last night, I'll try do so tonight, apparently newborns don't like you putting board games before them haha

I've edited the Renown like you said - it's probably not going to happen too often with Boss Choppa being only a 1 wound attack. Thrown in a couple of options for the Rip-tooth Fist.

Mv3 / Sv4+ / Ag5+

Boss Choppa (1+) Combat 4+ 1

Rip-tooth Fist (4+) Combat 4+ D3
Decrease activation cost by one to increase chances of usage

Rip-tooth Fist (5+) Combat 3+ D3
Decrease To Hit by one to increase chance of hit when used

Rip-tooth Fist (4+) Combat 3+ D3
Reducing both activation and To Hit by one

Strength from Victory : Each time you slay an adversary you may make an additional Boss Choppa attack against an adjacent enemy

Waaagh! (5+) : Add +1 to your Hit roll if the whole team is in your current chamber

Renown: Gain an additional 2 renown points if you slay an adversary via Strength from Victory

@Matt - Thankyou its a new venture for me, but thoroughly enjoying it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scourn1
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The main problem is he is to big for the game. At least at this point. I own the model (2 of them) and love the ironjawz, but I feel he doesn't fit for this. Perhaps a Arbboy leader would be a better fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve D
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I intend to try him on a 50mm base (as per the Ogroid) to see how that works out. Failing that, I'll just have him occupy two squares at standstill and house rule some quirky move rules for him

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, yeah, that's obviously true. However, just because it's not practical to use in the game itself, doesn't mean it's not fun to work through the quirks and foibles for a new character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think it might be an issue to reward an Orc boss with renown for picking off weak and wounded enemies? I feel like he should be proving himself with tough enemies rather than cleaning shop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve D
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
Do you think it might be an issue to reward an Orc boss with renown for picking off weak and wounded enemies? I feel like he should be proving himself with tough enemies rather than cleaning shop.

I didn't even consider that from a fluff perspective, that's a very interesting thought!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MarvelBeatsDC wrote:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

I didn't even consider that from a fluff perspective, that's a very interesting thought!

I love a good theme, but not if it gets in the way of good mechanisms (GW are very good at integrating the two seamlessly); but it's something worth bearing in mind, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve D
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'll bear this in mind tonight to occupy my brain on the baby night shift haha

See what (if anything) I can do to tweak his Renown gain, or Strength from Victory. Maybe change it to give a bonus if he slays a higher vigour adversary or something like that...that'd be quite fluffy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve D
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Sorry for the double post, how does this sound now:

Mv3 / Sv4+ / Ag5+

Action / Type / Hit / Damage
Boss Choppa(1+) / Combat / 4+ / 1
Rip-tooth Fist(4+) / Combat / 4+ / D3
(I opted for the reduction in activation cost to make it more useable)

Strength from Victory : Each time you slay an adversary you may make an additional Boss Choppa action for free against an adjacent enemy
I opted for this to try and replicate his Warscroll in Age of Sigmar
In the tabletop, he adds +1 to his # of attacks for Boss Choppa and Wound profile
Wasn’t sure if changing his stats would be too game breaking so opted for the additional attack of adjacent adversaries instead - thoughts?

Waaagh! (5+) : Add +1 to your Hit roll if the whole team is in your current chamber
Idea behind this being the whole Orruk(Orc) mob mentality, he gets bonuses when the whole team are around for tapping into the Waaagh!

Renown: Gain an additional 2 renown points if you slay an adversary with 3 vigour or higher
As pointed out by RedMonkeyBoy, gaining bonus renown for squishing little things is totally unfluffy, he wouldn't waste his time. This now rewards the hero for slaying tougher enemies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MarvelBeatsDC wrote:

Renown: Gain an additional 2 renown points if you slay an adversary with 3 vigour or higher
As pointed out by RedMonkeyBoy, gaining bonus renown for squishing little things is totally unfluffy, he wouldn't waste his time. This now rewards the hero for slaying tougher enemies

It all looks about right, I think (not that I'm an expert). The renown reward is a bit too high, though. The barbarian has to inflict eight wounds in a single turn to get one renown, and your orc has the potential to attack up to eight times per turn (remember, as Vigour is the starting value - not the CURRENT value of health remaining - it is possible for your orc to plough through a lot of injured monsters in a single turn and go up a huge amount of renown). Don't forget, most kills get you renown on top of any additional renown.

I guess it also depends how many 3-Vigour (or higher) monsters are in the game, and how often they show up. I don't have my copy in front of me to check, and I can't remember.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve D
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Yeah, I need to check the hero cards myself, I was trying to find a balance of high(ish) vigour enemies. I might up it to 4, maybe 5. I know the Tzangoors have 5 vigour but wasn't sure on the rest.

I think the Kairic Acolytes have 3? Pink Horrors 4...I think.
So maybe I could increase it to 5 to make it so it rewards killing the tougher stuff. The comparison against the Barbarian is a good point though. That's a very similar mechanic, not sure how that can be adjusted to reflect attacking tough stuff, not just wounds in general.

I could say 8 vigour. That would cover the Gaunt Summoner, Deathrunners, Ogroid and
Spoiler (click to reveal)
the Librarian

Hmmmmmmmm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a bit book-keepy, but you could do 2 renown for inflicting 5 wounds on a single enemy in a single turn. That way you would be encouraging the orc to take on full-health, strong enemies, rather than picking off monsters that the other heroes have already softened up.

Not sure I like that much book-keeping though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Adversaries, 3 is generally still on the weak end, with the 'tough' standard enemies sitting at 5 and the 'Boss' adversaries at 8+. As it is, I would probably either drop it to 1 renown for each 5+ Vigour enemy, or 2 for each 8+ vigour enemy slain. Or, you could go another route and gain Renown based on all living Allies being in the same chamber - maybe, "Glorious Waagh! - Each time you activate Waagh!, gain 1 renown." This will also make activating Waagh! more attractive, as a simple +1 to hit for 1 turn is really not all that impressive (especially with a base 4+ to hit).

Honestly, I still think that the Saw Toothed Fist should be a 3+ rather than a 4+ (potent, but he's supposed to be a damage dealer, so it fits), but other than that it looks like he's coming together. Of course, now you'll need to run him a few hundred times to make sure he's balanced - or just once and enjoy the experience of running him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve D
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Magius wrote:
For the Adversaries, 3 is generally still on the weak end, with the 'tough' standard enemies sitting at 5 and the 'Boss' adversaries at 8+. As it is, I would probably either drop it to 1 renown for each 5+ Vigour enemy, or 2 for each 8+ vigour enemy slain. Or, you could go another route and gain Renown based on all living Allies being in the same chamber - maybe, "Glorious Waagh! - Each time you activate Waagh!, gain 1 renown." This will also make activating Waagh! more attractive, as a simple +1 to hit for 1 turn is really not all that impressive (especially with a base 4+ to hit).

Honestly, I still think that the Saw Toothed Fist should be a 3+ rather than a 4+ (potent, but he's supposed to be a damage dealer, so it fits), but other than that it looks like he's coming together. Of course, now you'll need to run him a few hundred times to make sure he's balanced - or just once and enjoy the experience of running him.

Yeah, I am kind of spamming it here without any playtesting so apologies for that, I am getting a bit ahead of myself caught up in the hype haha

I'll tweak his "alpha" profile to make the Fist attack 3+ and change the renown to link to the Waaagh! activation and run with that. I quite like that idea.

Thanks for the advice so far! I'll give him a few games with what we've achieved so far and feed back the results!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.