Popular Tags: [View All]
John Heder
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We started setting up a game this afternoon - Friday. There were three of us but because of a broken foot or something, one of us had to be driven to a hospital by another one of us - the foot had been broken earlier that day. I offered to throw the guy in the back of my truck but he didn't like that idea so Sedjtroll took him and told me to finish reading the rules so we could play later.

Actually the foot wasn't broken - a stress fracture or something.

Anyway. After that there were two of us. The foot and its owner stayed at the hostipal to have things taken care of and sent Sedjtroll home.

So we played a 2 player game. Sedjtroll and myself. I went first as I had had a chicken parmesian Hot Pocket for lunch. (the rules suggest one way of determining start player is to choose the last one to eat Italian food).

The first round was rather quick as we couldn't build buildings. I got the white role and Sedjtroll got the gold role.

In the second round we both built our first buildings and placed our first shields on the board. Again Sedjtroll got the gold role and I got the white. I also got the green role and Sedjtroll got the blue - he may have got the red role as well.

Throughout the rest of the game (which actually went by very quickly) I was somehow able to stay in the lead or be tied for the lead, by building at the right times, and collecting points for having the role of the colors Sedjtroll built with. Sedjtroll got very few points when I built but that was mostly by accident - one time I totally forgot I needed to keep some money to build the city I was planning then didn't have the right building cards to build any of the others.

We traded off on having the majority of the roles, however in my mind I thought that Sedjtroll was doing much better than I was as he almost always had more money than I did which led to him having more cards and playing more cards - he got the gold role several times more than I did. That allowed him to build more cities than I was able to though this was only one more.

We both got the Blue role a few times - I got it 3 times (once was the last turn of the game) and I believe Sedjtroll got it at least twice. However all three of my cities allowed me to place 2 shields, and that allowed me to have one more shield on the board at the end of the game.

Sedjtroll had more cards in front of him and his least amount was 5 or 6. My least amount was 4, so he got a few more points there. He also got the bonus for most money - he got the gold role to collect two gold in the last round. We had both spent all our money building.

I was able to tie him region points on the board with shields except for one region in which I had one extra, and this moved me up to beat him by one point. By our count he had 70 and I had 71 - very close game.

I found the green role to be very useful, and we both used it to our advantage in choosing roles, but I believe the next time I play I will try and focus on the blue role as it allowed for placing a shield without building. However I do need to keep in mind that I can't ignore the other colors as they can provide points at the end of the game.

In the two player game we each got more cards and money than in a game with more players, but we both experienced shortages of money at times that was a bit disabling - sometimes because we would spend it on stuff we didn't really need. After it happened to me once I tried to plan better. Sedjtroll made one of these mistakes buying a green card in the last round when he probably should have saved the 1 gold for something else.

Though we both enjoyed the game we both felt that it would be much better with more than 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hederj wrote:
I was able to tie him region points on the board with shields except for one region in which I had one extra, and this moved me up to beat him by one point. By our count he had 70 and I had 71 - very close game.

We played again today (twice, well, I played twice, John was in one of those games). While explaining the rules John noticed something we'd forgotten to count in yesterday's game... a 2 point bonus for most cards left in hand!

So in fact, I beat him by 1!

John thrashed the rest of us in today's game though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.