Subject: Dispatcher + specific upgrade question (potential spoiler?) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Xiong Mai
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
We upgraded our dispatcher with the Pilot upgrade. My question is about a particular move we've been taken and if it's legitimate. What we do is this:
1. Direct flight to city X by showing the card for that city.
2. Return card to hand.
3. Use the card for city X to build a research station.

Is this legal? It seems to be legal, but we feel this is a very powerful role and upgrade combination, almost too powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Blum
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
How are you using it? For example, are you using it for the dispatcher or a different player? For the dispatcher, it's completely legal. For other players, I'm not so sure. You can move other players, but I don't believe you can use the pilot upgrade on those other players. So you would not be able to fly them somewhere without discarding.

That part is a bit muddy because of wording: "Treat another player's pawn as your own." Someone else will have to clarify if you can use the upgrade to fly someone in that way. Having said that, you would NOT be able to build a research station with another pawn. Remember, your pawn has to be in the city you want to build in. You can move other players like your own. You cannot use your cards to build where those players are moved, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chynkinese wrote:
We upgraded our dispatcher with the Pilot upgrade. My question is about a particular move we've been taken and if it's legitimate. What we do is this:
2. Return card to hand.

Is this legal? It seems to be legal, but we feel this is a very powerful role and upgrade combination, almost too powerful.

If the dispatcher is the one moving this is perfectly legal but if it is another character that is being moved it will not work as the card for city X needs to be in the dispatcher's hand. If it is the dispatcher who has the card for city X it can't be used by the moved character to build the research station because they don't have the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Agreed, the Dispatcher can move their own pawn somewhere using the Pilot ability and immediately build a Research Station there. It's powerful, but the game will throw plenty of bad stuff at you, so be sure to take all the help you can get and use it to best effect!

Another neat trick: for one card and two actions the Pilot can move anywhere: direct flight to that card's city without discarding, then charter flight to where you want to be.

A Dispatcher-Pilot can move anybody to any city that way. For three actions, they can get any two people to a city, which might be handy when you just need that one final Share Knowledge to win.

And that's even before you discover what the Legacy Deck has in store for you. (-8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chynkinese wrote:
2. Return card to hand.

Dispatcher-Pilot is one of those obvious combos the game starts with.

Pilot does get less useful later in the campaign as cities start rioting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Pfft! Just don't let cities riot. Easy. Problem solved. (-8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
For the record, I don't think there's anything special about the Dispatcher here; any Pilot upgraded character could do the same thing. Furthermore, any Pilot could also immediately fly to a city and hand that card off to a Co-worker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.