Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking over the RC page for our boat this morning, I am absolutely amazed at everything that is going on. All the shows look fantastic, the onboard activities sound amazing, and the dining options...yeah, it's gonna be one heck of a week.

And on top of it all, 24/7 board gaming with some of the coolest folks I know.

March 18 can't get here soon enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hadden
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Toot, toot!
badge
If all else fails...
mbmbmbmbmb
In keeping with the thread subject, one week isn't enough to make it worth flying across the country, so we are sticking around for a few days on land as well.

Are there any Floridians (or others) with recommendations on what are the best things to do in South Florida (other than playing games, that is)?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bootstrap wrote:
In keeping with the thread subject, one week isn't enough to make it worth flying across the country, so we are sticking around for a few days on land as well.

Are there any Floridians (or others) with recommendations on what are the best things to do in South Florida (other than playing games, that is)?

Thanks!

Where are you staying, exactly and for how long? I lived in Ft Lauderdale for ~half my life so I may be able to help a bit...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alon Altman
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're willing to travel 3 hours by car or a short flight, Orlando is not too far with Disney World and universal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hadden
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Toot, toot!
badge
If all else fails...
mbmbmbmbmb
saturnkk wrote:
Where are you staying, exactly and for how long? I lived in Ft Lauderdale for ~half my life so I may be able to help a bit...

We are thinking of staying in the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area for 3 +/- days. We have been to Orlando recently, so we are are thinking about doing something different - and South Florida is new territory for us. About the only thing on our list so far is to look into a spring training baseball game in Ft. Meyers.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

epsalon wrote:
If you're willing to travel 3 hours by car or a short flight, Orlando is not too far with Disney World and universal.

Visiting Mickey is definitely our fall-back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bootstrap wrote:
saturnkk wrote:

We are thinking of staying in the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area for 3 +/- days. We have been to Orlando recently, so we are are thinking about doing something different - and South Florida is new territory for us. About the only thing on our list so far is to look into a spring training baseball game in Ft. Meyers.

epsalon wrote:

Kids? Ages?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hadden
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Toot, toot!
badge
If all else fails...
mbmbmbmbmb
saturnkk wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:
saturnkk wrote:

epsalon wrote:

Kids? Ages?

We're the grey haired folks who tell stories about "the good old days" when all we had was Avalon Hill and SPI. An active couple in our 60s. The kids and grandkids will not be with us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bootstrap wrote:
saturnkk wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:
saturnkk wrote:

epsalon wrote:

Kids? Ages?

We're the grey haired folks who tell stories about "the good old days" when all we had was Avalon Hill and SPI. An active couple in our 60s. The kids and grandkids will not be with us.

Okay, good to know.

First, if you stay on Ft Lauderdale Beach itself you will be walking distance to most beach areas. Items of note:

- Beach Place for bars and shops

- Live entertainment at night at many cafes along A1A (the beach). I particularly like Alex Fox (Spanish Guitar) and he typically plays Fri-Sun evenings at Cafe del Mar.

- Downtown Ft Lauderdale on Los Olas Blvd. About 2 miles west of A1A (the beach) are many high end shops and restaurants on Las Olas. It is likely a bett taxi or Uber than a walk unless you are good walkers.

- intracoastal activities; The intracoastal runs parallel to the beach and your hotel may adjoin it pending where you stay.
1. Jungle Queen dinner cruise tours the homes on the intracoastal in a paddle boat and arrives at an island where they have a BBQ dinner and show.
2. intracoastal Restaurants: 15th Street Fisheries (recommended if you like fresh seafood), Shooters (more of a fun party place where a lot of boats come and go. I would recommend using a water taxi to go to these places as it is much more fun than driving. Water taxis can also take you to Las Olas.

- Other restaurants that are a drive: Sea Watch (great seafood on the beach north of downtown Ft Lauderdale and a bit pricey), Capital Grille if you like pricey chains is in the Galleria Mall which is a short cab from the beach on Sunrise Blvd, also on Sunrise Blvd is Il Mulino, a very good, inexpensive Italian restaurant.

- Other places: You are close to Hollywood beach (~20 minutes south) and that is a long beach with a boardwalk type walkway with restaurants and shops and bars. Just north of Ft Lauderdale Beach there is a pier if you like to fish or just sit and enjoy the breeze at Commercial Blvd and A1A. Again, another short cab ride.

- Hugh Taylor Birch State Park (Birch Park) is right along A1A at Sunrise Blvd and has a lot of park and wildlife activities. Walkable from the beach area.

If you give me an idea of what you like, I may be able to help you a bit better....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bootstrap wrote:
saturnkk wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:
saturnkk wrote:

epsalon wrote:

Kids? Ages?

Nice to know there will be others my age on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hadden
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Toot, toot!
badge
If all else fails...
mbmbmbmbmb
saturnkk wrote:
If you give me an idea of what you like, I may be able to help you a bit better....

Wow! Thanks for all of the local inside info.

Questions:
1. Is it worth the drive to go to Key West?
2. Are the Everglades worth a visit? If yes, how best?
3. We are water rats. Any good snorkeling? Are there any water parks nearby?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hadden
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Toot, toot!
badge
If all else fails...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam Houston wrote:

Nice to know there will be others my age on this one.

Hi Sam. I still have my cube & paperclip from last year. I wasn't even the oldest at the tables this year. See you in March.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Wow! Thanks for all of the local inside info.

Questions:
1. Is it worth the drive to go to Key West?

Depends... how long are you staying? From Ft Lauderdale, depending on traffic and stops for food, count on 3-4 hours drive to get there (it is ~2- 2.5 hours from the beginning, Key Largo all the way down to Key West (with light traffic) with Marathon being the halfway point. It is fun and wild for adults at night, touristy during the day. I love visiting there but it is more for partying than anything else and you will likely want to spend at least one night given the drive... If you like beaches or snorkling, there are better, closer opitions. For snorkling, Key Largo is great and also has Jon Pennekamp Park. You can get there in about an hour.

2. Are the Everglades worth a visit? If yes, how best?

Yes. A straight shot out on 595 will take you West towards the everglades. Check local listings for an airboat tour as that is the best way to see it. 595 freeway ends at Federal Highway (road actually) right next to the airport and minutes from Ft Lauderdale Beach.

3. We are water rats. Any good snorkeling? Are there any water parks nearby?[/q]

As mentioned prior, Key Largo is good for snorkling and about an hour away. When I was a kid, about 100 yards or so off of the coast (yes the entire coast) there was a reef. Boating, people and hurricanes have destroed much of it but there are likely still pockets of gems to see. Check with you hotel concierge to see what area may be good and you can walk right out off the beach. If you Scuba, there are still very good places in Palm Beach (about an hour or so north pending traffic) or one place that I really like for snorkling is called Red Reef. It is in Boca Raton (about 35-45 minutes north on A1A). There is a small sign on the beach side of A1A with a small parking lot. It is Red Reef Park and it has had some really nice corals and fish in the past. If you are driving north to it from Ft Lauderdale on A1A and get to Spansih River Park, you have gone too far. Speaking of Spanish River Park, if you like a beach with less people and a park on the intracoastal, that is also nice place to visit. There is a tunnel from the park on the intracoastal side under A1A to the Beach side. It is about $20 per car to park though I think. Worth it though to me as it is one of my favorites.

If you like fishing, I would recommend a private (NOT DRIFT BOAT!) charter. They can likely match you up with another pair or two of people to make it more affordable if you plna ahead. Definitley take the earlier trip as it is too hot in the afternoon for the fish to bite much. They are all over the docks right off the strip (A1A) with many options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and there are no Water Parks that I can recommend, as the Park I used to go to when I was a kid is gone now (Atlantis). I am not aware of any others, close by, that are that size of park. Orlando has a few though but that is far to go for a water park...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hadden
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Toot, toot!
badge
If all else fails...
mbmbmbmbmb
saturnkk wrote:
Oh, and there are no Water Parks that I can recommend, as the Park I used to go to when I was a kid is gone now (Atlantis). I am not aware of any others, close by, that are that size of park. Orlando has a few though but that is far to go for a water park...

Thank you so much for the detailed answers about the area! We find that there really isn't a significant difference in air fare for RT FLL and a flight into MCO and out of FLL, so we will now ponder if we want to do South Florida or visit Mickey before the cruise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.