Alessandro Salvati
Italy
Rome
Lazio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the title says,

I played (and fell in love with) this game last week, and I can't wait to play it again.

I'm considering the idea of buying it, but I'm just a bit concerned about the replayability of the game.

Does the game become boring after some games?
Does it keep your interest alive?
Can I play it once a week and still find it funny next spring?
Is there some broken strategy?

TY

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I have no problems with replayability in Alchemists, then again I haven't exactly played hundreds of games yet. Just make sure you're playing with a new code, for starters! Starting ingredients and favors can change up the game a bit, and what artifacts pop up can also make each game feel very differently. And, if after months and months of play, you feel like you've "seen it all", there's an expansion coming! Actually, it's a 4-in-1 expansion, so you can slowly introduce new elements and keep the fun times rolling :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
Giant Fire Breathing Robot
badge
gfbrobot.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Alchemists has more replay value than the average action selection/worker placement game.

The deduction part of it is randomized by the app. So things you learn in one game have absolutely no bearing on the next. The deduction does not hurt replay value at all.

Plus, the game is a lot more than just the deduction. It's also about acting efficiently, managing your finances, and snapping up artifacts (or foregoing them for more actions while the other players squabble).

It's among my favorite games and I still look forward to playing it. I have 10 plays so far with no sign of stopping.

As for a broken strategy, in your first few games the artifacts might seem unstoppable. But you'll soon realize that the cost for taking them is high enough - both in terms of gold and missed opportunities - that they balance out quite well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to pile on, I agree. I'm also about 10 plays in, and I enjoy the game very much ... despite the fact I've never won. (My wife is ridiculously good at this game. We'd play it much more if it was up to her.)

Replayability is pretty good, because you can get some really great early deductions that make you much more assured about publishing, or you can get lots of soup which forces you into a bluffing strategy. And I feel like there's big improvement curve here, when you start incorporating the opponents revealed potions into your logic tree. Not something I can do well yet, but it keeps me wanting to get better at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agnese K
Latvia
Riga
Riga
flag msg tools
mb
It was alreay nicely discussed here.
More you play, strategies you use get more complex. First ton of plays you actually spend learning the game. First deduction takes your full interest, then you start to see value of your actions and start to understand how to interact with others. After "mastering" the game all that is left is a beautiful and dynamic game (strategies are nicely discussed in the link).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nestor Quintero
msg tools
I play a lot of Caverna, Waterdeep, Grand Hotel, imperial settlers... well you get the point

For that matter I'd put alchemists in the top place of replay-ability. Why? well the first several games you focus more in deduction, then a bit more into optimization

- some people actually are unable to see past the deduction (solving the formulas) qualifying it as 'too easy' or all too important. They are not understanding the game. They'd say that the mortar and the periscope are 'too powerful', for example. They dont really understand the game and may even call it 'repetitive' because they figure out how to run experiments efficiently in the first turns if they draw the proper ingredients.... interestingly my group and me see solving the formulas as something trivial since the first two games. It's supposed to be easy.

But later games when all players are experience the games becomes about bluff,proper reaction and most importantly: Risk taking. All games feel balanced and evolve differently.

The biggest issue of the game is that -hate to admit- is borderline too demanding in the thought players have to put and sometimes the intelligence the players can account for.. :S . So if there's a group with 2 players of my group's category and 2 casuals/new players then there's no way those 2 new players will be even close.

So in short: game is very replayable - but you need to have a leveled group of players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravi Bhikhie
Netherlands
flag msg tools
SrFinn wrote:
So in short: game is very replayable - but you need to have a leveled group of players

The rulebook has a nice suggestion: mix up the Apprentice and Master variants for differently skilled players to level the playing field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.