Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am having a ball with this game and am really glad I managed to win the auction fight for it. Better late to the party than missing out altogether. My “new” game set appears to be an earlier printing with all cardboard chits for damage and time markers, but that is fine by me. I’m not sold on the images of the grey plastic pieces in the newer printing.

This weekend I introduced a friend to the game and dragged my son off his perpetual Minecraft play to join us. Another friend sat out due to back issues preventing a long sit at the table.Instead I fired up the newly-available ability to cast YouTube to the TV & loaded up a nice queue of WRC videos as an appropriate backdrop. So a 3-player game with an interested observer.

We played the first three special stages of the Pasta Rally roadbook. Random assignment put my son first, our friend second, and me first.

The first stage went fairly well. The newbie won the stage, I came a close second & my son botched some turns and came in third. The one fly in the soup here is--after using up his Sisu card-- my friend managed to wreck in a time-attack roll and re-enacted the recent Focus RS Drift Mode Fail video just posted on YouTube. Naturally I had to throw that up on the TV. It was eerie how close the game board state aligned with the video.

He later wrecked again, seriously messing his car up & forcing lots of 4-die turns, but that kept him from damaging himself again. Yet he still pulled out a narrow victory.

The second stage was relatively uneventful and fast--it was pretty short. I came out ahead and took the lead in the rally. Our friend was second and my son again third. We all got through clean.

The third stage was epic. It used all the boards and was pretty long with two big technical sections at the start & mid-race. Then the road opened up to a fast finish. As is SOP now, we all started with running lots of Time Attack turns, socking away many seconds of time shaved (we ultimately ran out of the 0:10 markers). Our friend and I are getting a bit more canny in how we are finishing turns to try and end in higher gears-sacrificing a space or two here & there to try and end in 4th or 5th more often. My son is just trying to catch us on-road.

Somehow my son’s balls-to-the-wall strategy works out. He pulls a big win on stage three and takes the game by the slimmest of margins over the newbie. A large part of it is he and I lost at least 2:00 each in wrecks and flat tires while my son inexplicably had a clean run. The worst was I threw the game away with on ill-advised time attack. Running through the gears into a fast corner near the end, finishing in 5th. I could have had a 0:10 turn, went for a 0:04 turn and ended up in the weeds with a 1:00 turn and blew my plans to sweep the final section fully at speed. Lesson learned: time attack is NOT always the answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a gem of a game.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I legally own hundreds of polyhedral assault dice!
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What makes it so much fun is that the style of racing and the game play is so much different from Formula Dé—another racing game I love!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
claudermilk wrote:
My “new” game set appears to be an earlier printing with all cardboard chits for damage and time markers, but that is fine by me. I’m not sold on the images of the grey plastic pieces in the newer printing.

Fear not, the cardboard chits are the latest (fourth) edition; the plastic pieces are the earlier editions (I prefer the cardboard chits too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gravey wrote:
claudermilk wrote:
My “new” game set appears to be an earlier printing with all cardboard chits for damage and time markers, but that is fine by me. I’m not sold on the images of the grey plastic pieces in the newer printing.

Fear not, the cardboard chits are the latest (fourth) edition; the plastic pieces are the earlier editions (I prefer the cardboard chits too).

Ah, ok. Now it makes sense. The cardboard chits work well & the pictures of the plastic pieces seemed a step backwards--I guess I got my understanding of the printings backwards. Not that I always care about having the latest edition (witness my stubbornly holding on to my 2nd ed. copy of RoboRally).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget to try out Race! Formula 90!
It takes racing to a whole new level with robots to beat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slotracer wrote:

Already have it!

I think I've now built a good racing game collection:
· Formula De from way back
· Thunder Alley
· Race! Formula 90
· Rallyman
· Grand Prix as of tonight
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that is a lot of F1 type racing games! Which ones are your favorite - if you only kept one for solo play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, really only RF90 and Rallyman can reasonably do solo. Formula De (or D if hte newer edition), and the GMT games depend on multiple players. Or at least, I'm assuming Grand Prix still does, need to read the rules; however since it's heavily based on TA, I assume there is still no good solo there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
claudermilk wrote:
Slotracer wrote:

Already have it!

I think I've now built a good racing game collection:
· Formula De from way back
· Thunder Alley
· Race! Formula 90
· Rallyman
· Grand Prix as of tonight

Only two more to add to your collection - Snow Tails and Powerboats...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snow tails is a great game!

I have Rallyman, Formula Dé, and Snow Tails from this list and am adding Race! Formula 90 now to my wants list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
How about the upcoming Championship Formula Racing?

I'm interested in that one and Grand Prix. But since I already own RF90 with both expansions, I couldn't justify owning more than one F1 game, unless one of them was far ahead of RF90 in some personal criteria that I couldn't think of now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jiryfoe Man
Australia
flag msg tools
open the heart
mbmbmbmbmb
what about a dexterity racer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gravey wrote:
How about the upcoming Championship Formula Racing?

I'm interested in that one and Grand Prix. But since I already own RF90 with both expansions, I couldn't justify owning more than one F1 game, unless one of them was far ahead of RF90 in some personal criteria that I couldn't think of now.

I actually looked at the recent KS campaign, but didn't have time to build the prototype PnP before it ended. I have the files & still want to build it to see if I will jump on the retail version when it comes out. Failing that, I might go looking for a copy of the old AH Speed Circuit it's based on.

Since Grand Prix is supposed to be cross-compatible with Thunder Alley, it seemed like a good deal for me to jump at the P500 since they will be both two stand-alone games, AND expansions for each other. GP on TA tracks will be Indy Car; TA on GP boards will be more of the road course dabbling NASCAR does. I'm just digesting my GP rules now, so after this weekend I'll have a better idea of how that works out.

Jiryfoe wrote:
what about a dexterity racer?

Meh. I'm not so much about dexterity games. Pitch Car looks somewhat interesting, but I'll want to play with someone else's copy before dropping the $70+ it demands. I get why it's that pricey, but it's a lot for a game I'm not at all sure I'll enjoy.

I'll have to look into Powerboats & Snow Trails. Those along with my old copy of Regatta (and a gifted unpunched copy of Le Mans) ought to very well round out the racing game collection. At least until the next good one comes along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Christophe Bouvier
France
Saint-Didier en Velay
Auvergne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Gravey wrote:
claudermilk wrote:

You are right : the editios 1, 2 and 3 were with plastic chits, and cardboard chit for the 4th edition. It was done to reduce the price and have more chits and have profited to make new dash boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.