5 Posts

Cry Havoc» Forums » Rules

Subject: Moving Structures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan McKinney
msg tools
mb
I just played my second game, this time using the machines. First off, this game is exactly what I want out of a board game. No dice, high strategy, and frequent combat and player interaction. I gave it a ten after game one and retain that rating after game two. The rulebook holes didn't deter me, and really the only regret I have is that more board game players don't live near me. ANYWAY!

In the rules it says no structures may be built in a region where that structure already exists.

The Golden Rule says cards take priority over the rules, but the rules have some holes that made me want to ask this question explicitly.

Can the machines move a structure into a region where that structure already exists? In context, can I move Shred Drones into a region where I have a Shred Drones? So there will be two Shred Drones in the same region.

Furthermore, the rules also say that HQs cannot contain a structure, but the movement skill doesn't say anything about HQs. Can I move a structure into my HQ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qklilx wrote:
I just played my second game, this time using the machines. First off, this game is exactly what I want out of a board game. No dice, high strategy, and frequent combat and player interaction. I gave it a ten after game one and retain that rating after game two. The rulebook holes didn't deter me, and really the only regret I have is that more board game players don't live near me. ANYWAY!

In the rules it says no structures may be built in a region where that structure already exists.

The Golden Rule says cards take priority over the rules, but the rules have some holes that made me want to ask this question explicitly.

Can the machines move a structure into a region where that structure already exists? In context, can I move Shred Drones into a region where I have a Shred Drones? So there will be two Shred Drones in the same region.

Furthermore, the rules also say that HQs cannot contain a structure, but the movement skill doesn't say anything about HQs. Can I move a structure into my HQ?

You cannot move a building into a region that already contains that same building, and you cannot move a building into your HQ. While the card Moving City doesn't explicitly say you cannot, it also doesn't explicitly say that you can break those rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
qklilx wrote:

You cannot move a building into a region that already contains that same building, and you cannot move a building into your HQ. While the card Moving City doesn't explicitly say you cannot, it also doesn't explicitly say that you can break those rules.

Firstly, thank you for the kind words.

Secondly, James is correct.

Thirdly, James' reasoning for being correct is correct and is a useful tool through which to evaluate games like Cry Havoc with so many damn cards and exceptions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Van Der Werf
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I had the same question in my game yesterday and was digging through the rules, FAQ and quick bgg search on game during the game but couldn't find it.

Have to say the explanation here is terrible, a thing like this should be absolutely clear from the rules. Using the argument that it doesn't explicitly say you can not break that rule thus you can not is terrible, if you read the rules factually you aren't breaking any rule by moving a building like this as you aren't building a building in region that already has one of it's kind.

Great game but unfortunately full of terrible rules interactions like this. Artillery and watchtower tokens can still be used if the building they were made from is occupied by other troops, sure makes thematic sense somewhat. Matrix cards can still be used if the building is occupied?? makes absolutely no sense but is the case anyway..

Way too much stuff is left out in this game and unclear which is a bit sad as I haven't heard anyone who didn't have some big rules issues in the first game while there would have been plenty spot to cover such stuff easily in the rules, in a FAQ or on the cards. For example why doesn't the matrix building just say where the cards go after they are used. Why don't the rules just say how movement works for Trogs at the section movement instead of stupidly at the back, because if you are looking for a question about movement you look at you know.. the movement section!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bjork

Virginia
msg tools
So in the spirit of the designer's frequent admonition on these boards against inventing rules that are not there (but before I saw this thread), I indeed moved my factory into a region already with a factory in this evening's play.

The rules only state that you can't BUILD a second identical structure in a region. It says nothing about moving a structure. Saying that moving a second structure in is violating "the spirit" of the rules is essentially inventing a (house) rule. Honestly, the machines are so tough to plsy (I lost badly), that I wouldn't mind keeping it a house rule that they can move in a duplicate structure.

I DO hope that the designer's wish/intent would be formally spelled out in a revised edition rulebook. I'm sure this game will endure!

Note- love the game. I'm just puzzled at how in this one instance we're supposed to essentially add a rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.