7 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Story Card - Reap the Whirlwind, version 2.0 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We had quite a few new story cards in the past week or two, and here's my latest (and, for now, probably final) contribution, a totally revamped version of Reap the Whirlwind.

A bit of history, for those who might care. As I've developed my own "ship packs," I've toyed with the idea of adding a story card to each. The Rumrummers' Seasonal is tied with Ship Pack #1: White Lightning in function and tone. Similarly, Reap the Whirlwind started out as a story tied to the forthcoming Ship Pack #2: CanTankerous, which is a ship captained by a former Browncoat who has stayed a bit more active than Mal.

The original version involves getting solid with criminal types, stealing so much from the Space Bazaar that you're no longer welcome there, then blowing up an Alliance Cruiser, all under the employ of a mysterious boss who seems to be a Browncoat radical.

Although that story card can still stand on it's own, this one is a total revamp (albeit still tied to radical Browncoat elements). In retrospect, I didn't love some of the darker overtones of the original draft, or the fact that the players are out of the driver's seat, story-wise.

So now we've got this new version, which I think may be one of the more challenging scenarios I've put together. You will notice that all the skill tests are high, but for the latter two, if you have Fugitives onboard (initially radical Dust Devils, but you can always replace them as you go), they'll help with the Goals. For the first Goal, you're on your own - although with a Soldier, it's not a terrible target to hit, and if you've already gotten Solid with Niska and Mingo & Fanty, there's a good chance you're ready for a few challenges.

I half-suspect I've missed something really important in putting this together, so I hope folks will be interested enough to offer feedback and constructive criticism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Coxon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This card includes some nice strategic elements. For example, getting solid with Amnon Duul could be really helpful and isn't too far out of the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Coxon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How come so many of the custom story cards I've seen lately use Fake ID? Was Hacking Rig overused in the past?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't think HACKING RIG has been overused, but all three recent story cards that use FAKE ID use it in essentially the same circumstances: skulking into an Alliance facility or event.

I suppose the real question might be why do 3 of 7 (unless I'm forgetting some) recent story cards involve sneaking into an Alliance facility?

I'm sure there will be cards referencing HACKING RIGS at some point. I know that when Bob and I were talking about LEAVE NO MAN BEHIND, there were a few iterations that involved HACKING RIG. Speaking for this Job Card, I had originally planned to have HACKING RIG give a boost om the third goal, but I wanted to leverage the unique use of Fugitives more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Saunders
United States
Hot Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very fun looking story!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James M.
msg tools
My wife and I, both experience Firefly players, just finished playing this Story Card. We use all of the expansions (except Bounty Hunters), and I went with the Artful Dodger, while she stayed classic with the Bonanza.

The game was about the perfect length, about 2 hours, with a lot of challenges. She was the first to attempt the first goal, but failed, while I had difficulty building the right crew.

In the end, it was a close game, with great challenges. We enjoyed it immensely!

Thank you for sharing this Story Card, and please keep them coming!

James.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great to hear!

To be honest, I haven't had a chance to really play through myself. We've come close a few times, but have always gone with something else in the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.