Hide
4 Posts

Tiny Epic Galaxies: Beyond the Black» Forums » General

Subject: A subtle game changer in BtB rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Ellis
msg tools
One of the powerful strategies (some say too powerful) is the culture-follow engine. In the original TEG, one of the limiting factors for the culture-follow engine, is that sometimes there are no planets producing culture on the table. If sources of culture run out then a player will need to change strategy mid-game.

In BtB, deep space exploration produces culture, and there is no limit of how many ships can explore deep space. So in BtB producing culture is always an option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcos Hidalgo
Spain
Madrid
MADRID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank God! I'm not the only one who thinks that this is a problem to be measured!

I'm commenting this and the point that there is no way to counter the potential 15VPs from Exploration chits and pilot/exploration badges HERE in this post

And I'm getting a ship-load of negative comments surprise (and one of that negative comments from you indeed... )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the OP didn't say this was a problem.

And even if he did, that would not mean that your suggestions are to his liking...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcos Hidalgo
Spain
Madrid
MADRID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a past post from OP about Culture Engine before TEG:BtB, it is stated, and I agree with it, that there are two "balancing points" on the Culture Engine strategy, first that you should focus one of your ships on culture, and the second one that there are not always a culture planet, original post from OP here.

That said, I totally agree with it. But with BtB there are two new factors that freaks out the Culture Engine:
1. All players will have a ship in the culture producing exploration board almost every single turn. So there is no need of culture planets. And...
2. ... that ship(s) is not only going for culture, you used it to go exploring. So you're using it for other reasons and getting the culture benefit.

That's why I think Peter Ellis (who seems clever and concise) thinks that the Culture Engine is something of a problem in BtB. With TeG there are two ways of thinking, that Culture Engine is overpowered and a must-play for all players, or that it is balanced but only due lack of culture planets, or the fact that you lose viable actions with your ships on harvesting culture instead of going for energy or valuable planets... If you take out the balancing factors from the equation in BtB, there is a problem there becouse the only answer is that it is an overpowered strategy.

Anyway, it's ok for me if you don't see it this way... I drop a suggestion becouse I see two problems, I don't expect people to say "hey! that is great and that is the only solution!!", but if I made a critic, I always try to find a solution or alternative, to be useful at least in my comments. It may be not the best solution, but we had, as OP said, a game changer strategy, and (in my other post) 15VPs at stake that has not much of a counter but a rush to get them before your opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.