Dead of Winter: The Long Night» Forums » General

Subject: Stories for the objectives rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Hoffman
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Hopefully I am missing something, but in the original DoW there were stories to set up what was happening in the objective cards. In The Long Night I don't see anything for the new objectives except the write-ups on the specialized objectives for the new modules. For example we played the objective "Tribute" last night. We had to put two cards from every location under the objective card. No idea WHY we were doing that though, no story to go along with it. This is one of my favorite parts of the game as it sets up the scenario. Any idea if this exists somewhere?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea R
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
I actually have to "report" the same issue. Not only the objectives but the traitor hidden objective "endings" are missing as well.
What I liked in the DoW was that at the end you knew why you wanted to screw everyone over.. In this one... Well... No idea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
Total unplayed games in my collection: 7
mbmbmbmbmb
man… locations w/ the incorrect item distributions printed on them, multiple typos, no suggestions for creating a balanced experience when combining both games, and now, inexplicably missing story components …did Plaid Hat rush this one, or what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea R
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'd say.. extremely!
I rarely feel it but I really feel like they wanted to rush on the hype of the first and grab some more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Marian Mirea
Romania
flag msg tools
Dead of Winter story-driven
I second the complaining about typos and the missing stories."Their is" instead of "There is" in multiple places and Dead of Winter is all about stories IMO. I don't even count the crisis cards, even in DoW ACG, scream for story telling.
To make up your own stories is like paying for some ladies but finally doing a handjob yourself thinking about whoever you like. Trust me! The ladies worth it even if every time it's the same ladies
Another bitching is about the cards and standees: they're too small compared to what I judged them to be from the web. I don't say they're smaller than DoW ACG, I don't own one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree that the cards and standees are too small. They are the same size and Dow and I've never had or heard of any issue with them in all the games I've played. I think the sizing is perfect.

I'm on the fence with the mission/betrayer stories though. The idea of multipart, story driven "learning" missions is cool. But I do wish they included stories for everything like before. Considering there is less main objectives, I wonder why they took them out.

But at the same time, I honestly stopped reading the stories a while back anyway. It's really cool at first to read those set up stories, but once you've played a bunch its just easier to pass over it. Plus new people I've played with seem to really enjoy the game as is. It's not like they feel something is missing without a story at the start. And I've yet to actually have a betrayer win so those have never been read in my games.

At the same time, I'm sure if PHG wanted they could easily put something up on their site for download. I hope they do.

The typos are strange though considering PHGs record for quality and oversight so far. Not a deal breaker for me by any stretch, but I agree there seems to be a bit too many. ANd since TLN came out 2 years after DoW, I don't know if I would say it was rushed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Ithaca
NY
flag msg tools
Vigilo Confido
badge
In the pipe, five by five...
mbmbmbmbmb
The "villainous monologue" at the end of a Betrayer victory was always fun. I was really disappointed when we went to have the traitor read it after our first game and it wasn't there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will forgive them their villainous omissions IF they write them and publish them on the web, for us plebs to print out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.