BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: First Board Game Idea rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lance West
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I am brand new to this website, and the field in general. I have been working on an idea for about a week now. The idea came from playing D&D with a friend of mine. What I want to do is mix the Open adventure play style of D&D, and the Omnipotent style of something like Age of Empires, and mix them.

I was thinking a two phase turn system. One phase to decide where your Village (So many population that depends of variables) and your Hero (A single member of the Villagers that you would be more invested in) Would go, and what they will do.
Phase Two would be living the adventure of the hero. Making your way through the wilderness dealing with any random encounters there may be.

The idea I had was a god (Phase One) and the Hero (Phase Two)

I have worked out a fair bit of mechanics, dice rolls and movement and such. I want to make this to where you could use components of the game to play one of three ways.

You could play the true 2-phase system the way I intend. But also leave the options to skip the Second Phase to have just a tabletop Age of Empires style game. Or skip the First phase and play through my game map as a D&D Adventure.

Anybody have any response to my idea? I have some are for the map if anybody is interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds like a big challenge, but it could end up being a really interesting game. Go for it!

Congratulations on getting this far. If you would like a tip from a relative newbie, I would suggest you get a very basic version of the game made and tested as quickly as you can. Don't worry about making it look nice -- scribbles on a bit of paper will do for a board, small file cards with hand-written stuff on them will be fine for cards, and so on. Even if you can only test a couple of turns on your own, that will help you find problems with your basic concept faster than any amount of reading, planning and discussing. Then you can start building on and improving on your first version and you should be on the way to making a game that you can be proud of.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be fun.

The only games that I think are in the same sort of idea space are Above and Below and its relatives. I'm sure there are others but yes, the really great version of that game would be awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance West
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Thanks for the feed back. I am really close to a playable prototype. We have done testing of mechanics as they come about, But i am really close to being able to play a lengthy version of the game once I get a couple more mechanics cleaned up. The art for the map Is just because I enjoy art. It will be used, even if the rest of the game as scrapped, as a D&D map. But thanks again for the feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, you're further along the path than I thought!

I always used to love making maps too. There is something awesome about creating a place that didn't exist before. I should do that again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Stephens
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sounds like you're actually quite far along for a first timer! It's definitely good advice to try to iterate as quickly as possible, or to "fail fast", so you can weed out the really bad ideas quickly (there are always things that sound great on paper but in practice just don't work at all).

Once you're done with a playable version that you've played through to test a few times, consider putting a print and play version online to try to get more feedback. Sounds like a really neat idea for a game! Making both the first and second phases of the game interesting/deep enough to play on their own but also still fun, cohesive, and playable together sounds like a difficult task, but if you can get it to work that's a really neat mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance West
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I am a fair way into the game. Right now my issue is figuring out what else I need to figure out. So I have started making a list of steps while playing the game. I will be doing a testplay once I get that wrote out. Kind of a "How To Play" sheet. I will definitely be making a print and play version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My short advice is to finish the prototype and get playing as soon as possible. Once you do, you'll know what is fun and what needs to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.