W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Months after I had hoped to move BoardgameNews.com to a new server, I’ve finally made the transition. Take that, you dastardly out-of-date MySQL! On your knees, cowardly CPU limits!

I apologize for taking so long to make the move, but ideally BGN will now be able to handle the influx of new readers and overall higher volume of traffic. This will be especially important once summer rolls around, as the current plan is to unveil the Essen Preview on July 1—and the massive bolus of February’s Nuremberg Preview was what sparked the site outages in the first place. Following Rick’s lead, the Essen Preview will be split in two parts to ease your download time and make it easier for me to update. Heck, I already have close to twenty titles on the list—maybe it should be split in thirds.

If anything on the site seems askew—images missing, files absent, links broken—please write me through BGG so that I can fix the problem. In the week ahead, I’ll be posting news from the past couple of days (Extrablatt anyone?), spending more time on the Gamestore Wiki (starting with a link in the header), and cleaning up behind the scenes. As always, comments and suggestions are welcome...

Eric
Editor, http://www.BoardgameNews.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love your site. thumbsup
Thanks for all you do for the hobby, and for taking up the banner when Rick Thornquist left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay so how about a link?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamenews.com/

Glad to see your able to upgrade your site!
Cheers,
David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, look, it's back! Thanks for the update, Eric.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
All I get is "Site Offline"... I'm in NZ so I assume it may take longer for me to see it than the folks on the other side of the pond.

"BoardgameNews.com will be offline starting Wednesday, April 25, at 2 p.m. EDT so that I can finish moving the site to its new server.

Once I put the database in place and test the site, I'll need to propagate the new DNS settings through ye olde Interweb. I'll have BGN back online as soon as I can, and ideally the days of non-stop crashing will be over. Keep your fingers crossed...

Editor Eric"

Obviously it's still a work in progress... but I look forward to when it comes back. A great site for all the info on new games you provide. Probably the second best site for boardgame info behind our beloved BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cull wrote:
I love your site. thumbsup
Thanks for all you do for the hobby, and for taking up the banner when Rick Thornquist left.

Ditto that. I finally decided to become a member today. Thanks for your work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
nexttothemoon wrote:
All I get is "Site Offline"... I'm in NZ so I assume it may take longer for me to see it than the folks on the other side of the pond.

Supposedly DNS propagation, in which the new server info gets transmitted to the Internet hubs around the world, takes anywhere from 24-72 hours. It took about 28 hours for folks on the east coast of the US. Hopefully you'll be all set in at most another day, but write me back if you don't see the site by Monday.

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I can see it fine now... so the bits and bytes have made the treacherous trip across the sea safely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.