4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Distribution Model rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Abel N
msg tools
Hi BGG community,

A few weeks ago, myself and a friend started casually working on a model for a collectible card game, and were both rather surprised to end up with something rather coherent and not-necessarily-dreadful. As such, we've begun to consider actually distributing the thing.

Problem is, of course, we have no art, and we're both completely and utterly skint, so hiring an artist is not an option. Instead, we've been considering a print-and-play model using small batches of donated art. In theory, we put out a call for art, and people respond, often with single pieces rather than large portfolios. We match art to cards and release them for free once we have enough to fill a page. At best, it's a regularly-updated, totally free ccg with extensive community involvement, and a showcase for artists. At worst, it's an embarrassing mess for everybody involved that will achieve nothing beyond making us universally reviled by struggling artists. Nobody likes being asked for free art, even if it's not for profit.

Essentially, I think we're in need of new views on the matter. Is this in any way a viable distribution model? Would anybody be interested in either playing such a thing, or doing art for it? Are print-and-plays even a viable format anymore, free or not? Even then, would it ever get off the ground?

All thoughts welcome. Thanks in advance. And apologies for any errors, I'm new here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you really mean Collectible Card Game (CCG)? That implies a distribution model where you control the rarity of certain cards. Making such a thing 'print and play' would change all rarities to an equal distribution since players could just print whatever they like.

Also you've nailed the artwork question on the head: Nothing good can come from you attempting to reduce the value of artwork you use to zero.

So time to refocus.

1/ Run away from the "CCG" concept. Consider making this a stand-alone, complete game that needs nothing more than what "comes in the box" (or is put there via a Print-n-Play (PnP)). You can 'expand' it later, but CCG is an instant-turn off for many.

2/ Look at the PnP area, enter a contest that's being run, keep things small. Explore your idea, within boundaries. Maybe it's a card limit. Maybe it's a proscribed theme. Maybe it's a time limit on play.

3/ Get an artist on board who shares your vision. Be up front about the goals.

4/ Seriously, run away from the CCG model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Houghton
United States
Platteville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
vwoommmmmm
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
His idea might be just that each person doesn't have to print all of their cards. They just print the ones they want to use. (Which is like a free version of a CCG, I suppose?)

I'm in agreement that the art's not likely going to go well with this model, but Abel, you seem to understand this, so that's good! I agree that simply finding an artist up front is a simpler / more realistic approach here.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you checked out Phylo, which is a free, downloadable CCG, where you can effectively build, download, print and play a deck of your own design (or it is possible to buy ready-made decks). The cards actually came before the rules, but there are now a few ways to play. The official website is http://phylogame.org/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.