Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Bayes
United States
O'Fallon
MO
flag msg tools
mbmb
so i've chosen to get sleeves. the issue being which ones to get. i have premium mayday sleeves for Smash Up and they are nice. but Legendary has sooo many more cards. i hate penny sleeves. has anyone used standard sleeves from mayday? if so how are they? or what are some other cheap yet not crap sleeves?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
backspace8908 wrote:
so i've chosen to get sleeves. the issue being which ones to get. i have premium mayday sleeves for Smash Up and they are nice. but Legendary has sooo many more cards. i hate penny sleeves. has anyone used standard sleeves from mayday? if so how are they? or what are some other cheap yet not crap sleeves?

UltraPro all day
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree regarding penny sleeves. I have everything sleeved in Mayday Green penny sleeves, and have never had a problem. I don't know how people tear sleeves, but after well over 150 plays of the game even the sleeves from my starter cards are still going strong.

I keep 10-20 empty sleeves in the original packaging in my base set box in order to change out a torn sleeve on the fly, but again I've never had a problem.

Also, the nice thing about Mayday is that they come in the actual 2-1/2" x 3-1/2" dimensions rather than the larger 2-5/8" x 3-5/8" that other companies use for poker-sized card sleeves. I love having tight fitting sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bayes
United States
O'Fallon
MO
flag msg tools
mbmb
thats what i like about mayday, they fit so nicely. when i say penny sleeves i mean the ones i find at walmart. are their non premium cards tight too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Thiess
United States
Suisun City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't recall having any issues with penny sleeves tearing, but I hate the way they feel compared to other sleeves. They just feel so cheap in my experience. They are too thin, I think.

I don't sleeve every game, though.

For Legendary, I went with these. Slightly more expensive than penny sleeves at about 3 cents each, but they feel much nicer. I went with opaque because I got the base set in a trade and the cards already had a bit of wear on them. And this quantity gave me enough for the base set and Dark City and I have enough left over for a small box expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
??? ???
msg tools
Just do it well the first time so you don't regret it later. Pennysleeves are for games that don't require shuffling, which certainly isn't the case for Legendary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bird
United States
Greensboro
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...
or
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

Comes out to less than $0.014/sleeve. Relatively close fitting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Field
United States
Helena
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sabird wrote:

I second the LaTCG sleeves. They seem to be a good compromise between penny sleeve thickness and more expensive sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ultra Magnus
United States
Granville
OH - Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm just a soldier. I can't be a leader.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had bad experiences with penny sleeves. They hurt me. Don't ask.

I know that some people don't like them, but I go with Fantasy Flight sleeves. They are a little slick, so you have to mind your stacks so they don't fall over if someone gives the table a hard bump, but that issue is manageable (go with matte textured sleeves from another company if that is a big concern). After researching a variety of sleeves, I decided to go with FFG sleeves because they are clear, cheap, and durable. Being clear is aesthetically important for me, because I like to be able to see the card-backs in my games. And I did not go with Ultra-pro because of those @#&$ing holograms. The price for FFG sleeves is also pretty attractive comparably, and I have never had a problem with their durability.

I sometimes replace them with themed sleeves for specific games, specifically for White Wizard Games up to this point. But otherwise I use FFG sleeves exclusively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew McGorman
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mayday Green are perfect, they are just the right snug fit too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Wallace
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wisegy84 wrote:
I don't recall having any issues with penny sleeves tearing, but I hate the way they feel compared to other sleeves. They just feel so cheap in my experience. They are too thin, I think.

I don't sleeve every game, though.

For Legendary, I went with these. Slightly more expensive than penny sleeves at about 3 cents each, but they feel much nicer. I went with opaque because I got the base set in a trade and the cards already had a bit of wear on them. And this quantity gave me enough for the base set and Dark City and I have enough left over for a small box expansion.

This guy is spot on. These are the sleeves I used for Legendary and I have every expansion. They work great and they are affordable. You can buy them in very large quantities at a great price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of sleeves, just get a bunch of food service gloves from your local school cafeteria. You can use a regular clothes iron to seal the ends shut so your cards will be impervious to harm. Way cheaper than sleeves, and at least 37 times as practical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just sleeved the base game, Dark City, Paint the Town Red, Captain America 75th Anniversary and Guardians of the Galaxy expansions (1150 cards) using Ultra Pro Pro-Fit. The sleeves are 63x89 I believe and have no hologram. The fit is perfect. I got them for $2.49 per 100, so the entire lot cost just under $30 to complete. Highly recommended if you like an exact fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
??? ???
msg tools
Personally I used Dragon Shield Matte: Purple to sleeve my entire game. It was pricy, about 250-300$ to sleeve the entire game (plus some extras over for a couple more expansions), but it was worth it. The comfort of shuffling is unbeatable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swirlsaepi wrote:
I disagree regarding penny sleeves. I have everything sleeved in Mayday Green penny sleeves, and have never had a problem. I don't know how people tear sleeves, but after well over 150 plays of the game even the sleeves from my starter cards are still going strong.

I keep 10-20 empty sleeves in the original packaging in my base set box in order to change out a torn sleeve on the fly, but again I've never had a problem.

I completely agree about Penny Sleeves and keeping a few on hand "just in case" but I've also never had to break them out for tears or breaks. I actually am close to swapping out some of them on the Common Use cards because they're starting to show enough wear that I can tell cards in general terms in the decks.

Personally, I use Ultra Pro and almost always go through eBay for them like here (2,500 for less than $18) --> http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Little
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I use Dragon Shield: Blue for all of my sleeves. Very high quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sanner
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the Legenday sleeves by Legion. Legion makes some great sleeves. They are on the expensive side. ~$5 for 50. I've spent more on sleeves for this game than the actual game. They are thicker than other sleeves perhaps. So plan for that in your storage solution. Like other brands suggested, I've never had any of these break.

I also like ultra pro sleeves. I use the pro matte sleeves for smash up. I don't mind the hologram. You could get clear sleeves and put the hologram on the back.

I am not a fan of thin (penny) sleeves whatever the brand. I find them to be too slick and the cards cards slide out while playing. I've also had some where the height of the sleeve varied across packs slightly. Enough to be noticeable. I like perfect fit sleeves. But custom cards from places like printerstudio are just ever so slightly larger than the standard legendary card. So they don't fit in the perfect fit sleeves correctly.

I've not used some of the other brands suggested. I think people find what they like and tend to stick with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
ewsanner wrote:
I use the Legenday sleeves by Legion. Legion makes some great sleeves. They are on the expensive side. ~$5 for 50. I've spent more on sleeves for this game than the actual game. They are thicker than other sleeves perhaps. So plan for that in your storage solution. Like other brands suggested, I've never had any of these break.

I also like ultra pro sleeves. I use the pro matte sleeves for smash up. I don't mind the hologram. You could get clear sleeves and put the hologram on the back.

I am not a fan of thin (penny) sleeves whatever the brand. I find them to be too slick and the cards cards slide out while playing. I've also had some where the height of the sleeve varied across packs slightly. Enough to be noticeable. I like perfect fit sleeves. But custom cards from places like printerstudio are just ever so slightly larger than the standard legendary card. So they don't fit in the perfect fit sleeves correctly.

I've not used some of the other brands suggested. I think people find what they like and tend to stick with them.

Yup, Ultra Pro all day. I use black backs...dont really care about the hologram. The sleeves are worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bird
United States
Greensboro
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ewsanner wrote:
But custom cards from places like printerstudio are just ever so slightly larger than the standard legendary card. So they don't fit in the perfect fit sleeves correctly.

I'll have to disagree with this. The cards from CowCow.com and ArtsCow.com are a mm or 2 larger in both width and height, but in my experience PrinterStudio.com 63 X 88Mm Custom Cards are a perfect match. The texture is a little different, but the size is precisely correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Why aren't you at your post?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used FFG matte blue sleeves. In hindsight, I probably would have preferred black, but once I started it was impossible to switch.

I've always preferred FFG's sleeves over any other and the matte back was critical as the core set was showing significant wear compared to the expansions which made gameplay less enjoyable (e.g. "keep shuffling until the worn edges aren't on top").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sherri Fillingham
msg tools
mb
I used Mayday premium when I first got the game (about 18 months ago). This past summer, I completely resleeved into Fantasy Flight. The Mayday sleeves were completely chewed up on the "common" cards (the agents, etc.) and it was relatively easy to tell what type of card was about to come up in your deck.

I'm loving the Fantasy Flight sleeves and think they'll hold up a lot longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott jacobsen

Utah
msg tools
runnestrand wrote:
Instead of sleeves, just get a bunch of food service gloves from your local school cafeteria. You can use a regular clothes iron to seal the ends shut so your cards will be impervious to harm. Way cheaper than sleeves, and at least 37 times as practical.

I'll take the bait...is this really a thing? If so does someone have a tutorial (video preferred) on how to not totally screw this up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kayes
msg tools
slfillingham wrote:
I used Mayday premium when I first got the game (about 18 months ago). This past summer, I completely resleeved into Fantasy Flight. The Mayday sleeves were completely chewed up on the "common" cards (the agents, etc.) and it was relatively easy to tell what type of card was about to come up in your deck.

This is why I went with UltraPro for Legendary. There's a relatively few cards that will get used way more often than others.

They cost more, but they last incredibly long. Long enough I'm always suspicious of the user when they split.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
zupobaloop wrote:
slfillingham wrote:

This is why I went with UltraPro for Legendary. There's a relatively few cards that will get used way more often than others.

They cost more, but they last incredibly long. Long enough I'm always suspicious of the user when they split.

Dude!!! I tried blaming my friend who I played with for the first time, and he called bull shit. I havent played with a ton of people, my brothers only. But never had a split over a year of playing semi-regularly. I play with my friend one time and theres about 4 split cards. Now...they were all base set cards, and I own all the expansions except F4...but still...never happened to me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BCW heavy duty sleeves. you can buy them in bulk directly from the manufacturer. Easily one of the least expensive in bulk and durable sleeves out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.