13 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: How and When do you change up your decks? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Troutman
msg tools
mbmb
I'm not sure how to word this, so bear with me. I have my player cards in a binder because I'm not an avid enough player of LOTR to straight up build a deck on the fly. When I read on here, other players talk about building decks in a way that suggests they have pre-built player decks, so they can just up and start playing a quest with it.

But here's the thing... if you've not played a quest, how do you know your deck won't suck? Or if this quest in a cycle has locations galore while that quest in the same cycle has a fricken Hill Troll in it, how do you know your player cards are sufficient?

So how do you build your decks to just up and play with it? Every quest is different, so I would imagine using a pre-built deck wouldn't work well for a whole cycle; and if you have dwarf decks, sylvan decks, and outlander decks, that suggests you're not playing in order of release maybe, since you can't necessarily play Dwarrowdelf with dwarves from The Hobbit if you play by release.

I don't really understand how people do the pre-built deck thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I build a couple decks, I play with them, sometimes I build a deck with a little pre-knowledge of a quest before I actually play it, sometimes I just play decks blind against a new quest.

I rip them apart and build new ones if they aren't working against the quest I want to play and/or if I get bored with them. Sometimes the decks last through a couple quests (or a whole cycle / deluxe box even), sometimes they last just one quest (or even just one playthrough of a quest, successful or not).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
supermaxv wrote:
I build a couple decks, I play with them, sometimes I build a deck with a little pre-knowledge of a quest before I actually play it, sometimes I just play decks blind against a new quest.

I rip them apart and build new ones if they aren't working against the quest I want to play and/or if I get bored with them. Sometimes the decks last through a couple quests (or a whole cycle / deluxe box even), sometimes they last just one quest (or even just one playthrough of a quest, successful or not).

Quoted because this fits me nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Frazer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I tend to keep 5 or 6 decks that have captured my interest built at any one time. I tend to use a lot of proxies.

I generally play solo, 2-handed, so sometimes the decks are engineered to go together, other times they are more random.

When I'm approaching a new quest I usually just go in a little blind and feel my way around. Usually in Easy mode (hard cards removed, extra starting resource) and if I get thrashed a few times I'll start changing the deck or sub in a completely new one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
JPN38 wrote:
supermaxv wrote:

Quoted because this fits me nicely.

Me too. I have 2-3 decks built usually (although they sometimes share 10-20 cards that need to be pulled out to switch decks). I usually have to tweak or break down entirely at least once per cycle (still behind release schedule so I've never really gone back to old quests to play).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles wohlganger
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a lot of decks. I usually pick one of the weaker ones to tackle a quest first, and go to ones that are stronger or serve a particular need if the weaker deck fails. Galadriel-Grima-Outlands has very few quests it can't solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charek wrote:
I have a lot of decks. I usually pick one of the weaker ones to tackle a quest first, and go to ones that are stronger or serve a particular need if the weaker deck fails. Galadriel-Grima-Outlands has very few quests it can't solo.

List or link?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles wohlganger
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John85 wrote:
charek wrote:

List or link?

I have the decklist and talk about it in this thread:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1599703/ruins-belegost-has-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mb
Build Deck
-> attempt quest with no knowledge
--> edit deck if I feel like it's necessary
---> repeat as necessary

Very occasionally I'll redo my deck from the ground up. I've been playing through the quests in order, and "unlocking" cards when I get to them. Sometimes I'll change in cards that I think are neat in between quests.

Q: How do you know the deck won't suck?
A: You try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have pre-built decks so not sure how useful my answer will be to you but for what it's worth, here is what I do.

Chyron8472 wrote:
But here's the thing... if you've not played a quest, how do you know your deck won't suck? Or if this quest in a cycle has locations galore while that quest in the same cycle has a fricken Hill Troll in it, how do you know your player cards are sufficient?

I don't. But for me, part of the fun in a new quest is going in blind and seeing what happens. I love when I have a new quest as that moment of uncertainty will never come again on that quest beyond my first couple of plays.

When my deck inevitably fails, I make adjustments to it (if necessary) and try again. And if my deck fails completely, then I either rebuild a deck I previously used or build a completely new deck based on the dangers that I faced in the current quest.

Chyron8472 wrote:
So how do you build your decks to just up and play with it? Every quest is different, so I would imagine using a pre-built deck wouldn't work well for a whole cycle; and if you have dwarf decks, sylvan decks, and outlander decks, that suggests you're not playing in order of release maybe, since you can't necessarily play Dwarrowdelf with dwarves from The Hobbit if you play by release.

I don't have pre-built decks but I keep a record of every deck I build so that I can go back to it and rebuild it at a later date if I need to. I have a general idea, especially after playing with the deck, of what the strengths and weaknesses of the decks I have are so I have an idea of which deck might be a good fit for the current quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Johnson
msg tools
I have 8 decks permanently arranged (currently Rohan, Gondor, Hobbits/Ents, Noldor, Silvan, Dwarves, Dunedain, Gondor/Outlands).

I also keep some universally useful cards (i.e. Steward of Gondor, Gandalf, etc) separate.

I play the first game blind, see how it goes, and then swap cards into decks as needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To OP - I use a 50 card deck and give myself a 20 card sideboard. I try to make sure I can cover enemy heavy, location heavy and treachery heavy encounter decks using the total of 70 cards, I can play a quest only with 50 cards at a time, but if it fails I can try again with my sideboard trading in and out cards to try and get a better mix on that quest. I only have through Dwarrowdelf for card pool and this is working nicely for my first "experimental" deck.
I call it the singing rangers, involves 3 rangers and lots of song/dunedain cards. Made it through Confilict of Carrock so far.
However I did "cheat" and brought another deck with Eowyn, Gimli and Thalin for escape from Dol Guldur. (I only have seen one deck that makes it though that scenario single handed and it involved Elrond and Glofindel - see sessions by ajax013 the Play them all series geek list).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charek wrote:
John85 wrote:
charek wrote:

List or link?

I have the decklist and talk about it in this thread:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1599703/ruins-belegost-has-...

Thanks, this crushed intruders in chetwood
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.