Hide
6 Posts

Smash Up» Forums » Variants

Subject: "Resting" house rule? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Falzon
msg tools
So, my last 3 games of smash up went without a hitch(we tried out the cease and desist expansion, which where great!) however, there are moments where sometimes, particularity if someone has picked up a pretty bad combo(such as dinosaur princesses) a player will skip their turn 2-3 times in a row simply because they dont have any minions or useful actions.

So I was thinking of adding a "resting" house rule, where you can NOT play anything, then discard any number of cards and draw replacements + 1 extra(You don't get the +2 card draw as usual).

What do you guys think? I still have to playtest this if I can convince the other players to try it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Total unplayed games in my collection: 7
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a busted way to set up Time Walk or a new way to hand Zombies the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Guazzelli
Brazil
flag msg tools
Look, with this rule, Ghosts and Zombies will become insane.

I know that some factions are weaker than others, but you can win anyway.
Luck is part of the game, and will be more rewardable i guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Larkus
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Discarding any number and more or less getting an entire new hand might be a bit too much, yes. However, I know that sometimes a hand can really look awful and although in Smash Up almost any combo can win with some luck, we too have a "discard and draw" houserule to offset "lost" turns.

So, for really frustrating situations we sometimes agree on this:
When not playing a card on your second turn in a row because your hand sucks that badly, you can discard a single card and draw a replacement in addition to the usual two cards. Usually that should be enough to get back in the game and keep one from setting up too much. No combo can be that bad.

Except Innsmouth plus everything else, maybe...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lee
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually play with a house rule where you draw 3 cards instead of 2 if you do nothing else during your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Falzon
msg tools
Parsat wrote:
We usually play with a house rule where you draw 3 cards instead of 2 if you do nothing else during your turn.

I might just try this, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.