Popular Tags: ebay [+] [View All]
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It had to happen sooner or later, I had a bad experience buying a game on e-bay. I got the game no problem, but I was grossly over-charged for shipping. When I complained, the seller got nasty. I left him a negative feedback, and he retaliated by leaving one for me, even though I had paid him instantly through paypal.

I can live with that, and it doesn't bother me. Then he asserted a claim with e-bay that I had never paid for his item. Then he sent me a creepy e-mail discussing a website I'm a member of, and that I'm in law school. Last night I got some e-mails from BGG saying someone had tried to change my password here. OK, that's enough for me. From now on I'm DELETED I contacted the other site with my name, and have asked them to delete me completely. This is actually a very good learning experience for me, as next year I'll be working in a field where I might upset some people...it probably isn't a good idea to be accessable to anyone who might be angry with me. And even though there are a lot of people with my name on the internet, if you know a little about me (this guy knew I liked boardgames because of his auction), you can narrow the list pretty fast. Is DELETED enough, should I just go to my initials JMW? Hmm...any thoughts?

I'm going with Jonathan for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(The Artist formerly known as) Arnest R
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and carry on...
mbmbmbmbmb
The precise reason I am Arnest around here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael W.
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah it is sad.

I was told to not give out any more personal information on the internet than you would to a person you meet on the bus or subway...

Seems like your experience just proves it...

ArOOoo, Reddog
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Then he asserted a claim with e-bay that I had never paid for his item.

Then contact e-bay and show them your proof of payment. Then forward the nasty emails he sent you. Then request that his account be terminated for fraud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well fortunately, I paid him through e-bay's own pay now link using Paypal, so proving I paid won't be a problem. How do I request terminating his account for fraud? So far contacting e-bay has been like talking to a stone wall, I just get a lot of canned responses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andreo
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other guy absolutely crossed the line.

However, I've seen a lot of people complaining about shipping costs and in most cases they are indeed way over-charged, BUT don't you know that before you pay or even before you place your bid?

Let's say if someone charges me 15 Euro for shipping and I know that the 'real' costs are only 5 Euro, then I bid 10 Euro less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Andre. This guy is very creepy and I feel sorry for your bad experience on ebay.

my question is the same with Andre, didn't you already know how much the shipping is before you bid? So if you already know he is over charging then you shouldn't bid as much. Just sort of wondering why. And yes on ebay people would charge like $1 then $15 for shipping. You know it takes maybe $2 to ship, but they want to charge more shipping not the actual price because ebay charges commission on the selling price, not shipping. This eay the sellers can use the loop hole and make all the profits on shipping without having to share with ebay.

I had a bad experience on half.com which is part of ebay. That time I was a seller, selling my red original DS which is what they called Mario Kart DS because it wasa package that came with Mario kart. I was selling DS but not the game and in my description I made no mentions of including the game only the system. I did list the item under half.com's prefixed catagory of Mario Kart DS which i think created some confusion. Well the price I asked for for system only, (with the game it would have been much higher). The girl who bought from me later emailed me when she got the DS, saying where is the game that came with the system? I said I never said it included the game and the price was priced for system only. If I included the game it would have been 30 dollars more. She then show me some unfinished ebay auction with system and game saying look here it is even lower than your price. (Later on I checked the finished auction it finished at almost doouble my price, even with the game it was more than what I would have priced). She wasn't nasty just seems very disgruntled and illogical about how I should have listed what is NOT included.

Anyway, that was the only bad experience I had, which wasn't too bad since she didn't leave me negative feedback. it just shows, when you deal with people on ebay or something, anything can happen. sorry if this is too long. =p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
my question is the same with Andre, didn't you already know how much the shipping is before you bid? So if you already know he is over charging then you shouldn't bid as much.

That is an excellent question, let me take you through my reasoning on it. E-bay's policies prohibit excessive shipping. But unless the shipping fee is blatantly excessive ($70 for a book) I can't know if I over-paid for shipping or not until I actually recieve the item. A large store-bought over-sized box, packing peanuts, those nice inflated fillers Amazon uses, and other supplies can drive the price higher. And that's reasonable. When I recieved the item in a plain envelope with no special packing materials, I knew I had been overcharged. Make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
jmw23 wrote:
Quote:
my question is the same with Andre, didn't you already know how much the shipping is before you bid? So if you already know he is over charging then you shouldn't bid as much.

That is an excellent question, let me take you through my reasoning on it. E-bay's policies prohibit excessive shipping. But unless the shipping fee is blatantly excessive ($70 for a book) I can't know if I over-paid for shipping or not until I actually recieve the item. A large store-bought over-sized box, packing peanuts, those nice inflated fillers Amazon uses, and other supplies can drive the price higher. And that's reasonable. When I recieved the item in a plain envelope with no special packing materials, I knew I had been overcharged. Make sense?

Actually, you should EXPECT to be overcharged for shipping. Shipping charges are listed or calculated. If not, you should ask the seller.
Shipping COSTS to the seller are irrelevant. As is the COST to the seller of the item. Shipping usually is where handling costs, packaging costs, etc. go into the figure. And they are often estimated beforehand, connservatively in the direction of the seller.

Bid only what the delivered item is worth to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate that crap when people leave bad feedback as retailiation when you pay immediately. I just won an auction with "Buy Now" for a copy of China Moon and payed immediately. After a week I asked if he shipped it. He replied his supplier sent him the wrong game. So he never had the game when he sold it. Inste4ad he used the money from sales to buy the game. When I replied I didn't like doing business like that and I wanted a refund he said he had 10 days to ship it and it hadn't been 10 days and I didn't deserve a refund. It's been over 10 days and I still haven't recieved it though. I complained to ebay about him selling product he didn't posess and haven't heard back from them yet. This was all over $12. Of course if I left negative feedback you KNOW what I would get in return: Negative feedback.

His ebay username is neutralzonetim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilary Hartman
United States
GLENNALLEN
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Just your friendly, neighborhood game player and superhero!
mbmbmbmbmb
And from the other side...

As a new Ebay seller I pride myself on communicating with the buyer through-out the process. From the moment they buy the game until after they've received it I send e-mails keeping them aware of everything (shipping info and what-not). I even leave feedback the moment I get a payment. Everything has gone pretty well, with a few exceptions.

1-I sold my copy of Battle Cry. Apparently it got tossed around in the mailing and some of the flags came loose (which also happens when the game sits on the shelf), the miniatures were flung around inside the box, etc. The game was sold and shipped a month ago. I haven't received any feedback, though the game got to the buyer in five days. I e-mailed him to see if he was happy and he noted the mentioned problems that occurred during shipping. He said he would leave feedback once he's verified all of the components are accounted for...25 days ago. How long does it take to count figures and re-affix sticker flags?

2-I sold a copy of Freedom in the Galaxy. Game arrived at buyer's doorstep in a week. I wait two weeks and send an e-mail to see if he's satisfied (in hopes it will jog his memory to leave me feedback). His reply: "Received game. It's great!" But no feedback. Again, 25 days ago.

3-I sold Brilliant Lances. The buyer has not paid and his e-mail replies have been hit and miss. His last response, on April 15, was that he still had to pay his taxes and if he had any money left he would pay me. Huh? I've been cool, so far, and kept a level head, but my patience is wearing thin.

Because here's the deal: as a buyer on Ebay for several years, I always pay immediately upon winning an auction. I stay in contact with the seller, and I expect the items shipped to me in as protective a box as possible. Therefore, as a seller, I expect the same (though I'll wait a week or so for payment...or in this case a month).

What's happened to you, Jonathan, is a shame. Nothing like a fruitcake to ruin your day, huh (be it Christmas or otherwise)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Isaac Bickerstaff is not my real name, for reasons somewhat similar to those you describe above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Relying on eBay or PayPal to resolve a dispute is pretty much useless. At best they'll shut down the offending person's account, but that will happen only after a lengthy mediation process in which you both are considered to be at fault. Simply put, it ain't worth the hassle.

After being burned once early on in my eBaying activity, I always make it a point to check the seller's feedback history. Even a single "legitimate" negative report will cause me to avoid that seller (you have to check the negative reports to determine what's "legitimate" as there are some morons out there who'll complain about the most ridiculous things, but it's easy to figure out which are dumb complaints and which are valid).

With regards to the issue of "excessive" shipping costs, *NEVER* buy from a seller who doesn't tell you up front in the item description the total cost that they're charging for S&H -- avoid any seller who uses the dreaded "buyer pays actual S&H" statement and provides you the complete invoice only after you complete the transaction. That way there's no reason to complain that the costs were "excessive" -- you knew what you were paying and should have factored the postage in to the total cost in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've had people seriously threaten to kill me several times on-line, in addition to many threats to hack my computer, come by my home and beat me up, etc. etc.

In my case, nothing has ever happened and I usually invite people to try and bring it on, so it isn't like I discouraged them or needed to do much to block them.

I have stopped using my last name on most 'sites though, although as you said, it isn't that hard to get.

To me, these antics only show cowardice and immaturity: these people are not normally dangrerous... exceptions can happenen though like the recent university deal... sometimes these cowardly nerds do blow.

In any case, I don't worry too much about it as there isn't much that people can do short of murder, and that is rare enough that I'll not lose any sleep over it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. C.
Canada
Toronto Area
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never understood why "real" names AND user names are shown here. Most sites just show user names.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently complained to a seller about what I felt were excessive S&H fees. This is what I got back from them.
Quote:
First of all, while I agree the total for shipping cost was high, I call them handling fees.

I hate to sound weird but I wish to explain about this.

As a buyer, you probably aren't aware of the fees, sellers pay eBay for listing the items and the final cost with the sale. Then, and I know this doesn't apply to you, because you paid through the mail, but also Paypal fees are typically involved.

Without trying to sound like I'm just making excuses of why some sellers charge extra high on handling fees, it often comes down to listing fees, final value fees, paypal fees, running to/from post office/packaging supplies, price we paid to originally purchase the item etc. If I break it all down for you, you may often wonder why many of us sellers even bother selling at all.

We always list shipping cost in auctions, we leave it to bidders to bid up to what they are willing to pay total, including shipping cost. The higher our sale price, the higher the final value fees, eBay charges us. So yes, we would rather have the item sell out a little bit less, because we have slightly elevated shipping cost, because we pay less in final value fees.

I hope this makes sense.
Just to give you an idea...

listing fees for starting out 99 cents up to 9.99 would cost 35 cents. The higher starting price, the higher the listing fee. Any additional features such as gallery, subtitle, etc are additional fees.
Then once the auction closes, ebay charges a Final Value fee which is 5.5% of the sale price. Then add 2.9% Paypal fees & 35 cents per transaction. Then factor in our purchase price. It often levels out on our end.

We feel we are listing our fees, listing the shipment method used, that we are being upfront. I'm sorry it offended you. We want our customers happy, but we must find a way to cover our expenses as well.

I hope this helps.

I thought their response was polite, if not entirely acceptable, as Ebay supposedly has rules against building selling costs into the S&H charges.
In the end I left them no feedback at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
jmw23 wrote:

What a terrible experience. He definitely crossed the line.

I must say though that I do not agree that you were overcharged for shipping if the shipping cost was posted and you agreed to pay it. It is all part of the transaction you agreed to. If the product was damaged due to poor packing materials or some other similar problem with the shipping materials then you have a valid complaint.

If the seller didn't list the shipping cost then overcharged then that is a different issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
What a terrible experience. I guess you got into the world of some webtard script kiddie. They are out there for sure. usually more of a nuisance than an actual threat.

I have yet to hit that "bad" ebay experience, be it luck or careful examination of every bid i ever make. I take many over-careful steps before buying off ebay. The person have to have a very high rating with lots of sales in the exact area that i'm buying(i.e. boardgames better have sod many board game prevously). Shipping up front and paypal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I always check shipping/handling before even bidding. Most places now over-charge for shipping. It is just the way eBay works now. It is a way for sellers to get more money as eBay can't take anything from shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The seller was obviously a jerk. However, I'm going to agree with others here that if the S/H cost was clearly listed in the auction you have zero cause for complaint. You went over the line yourself by leaving him negative feedback when he fulfilled his end of the deal at the prices agreed to.

You entered into a contract, then you decided that you didn't like the contract, and now it's the sellers fault? That's wrong and dishonest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Rik, seems to me that Ebay's rules against excessive charges is only there to make sure that they get the most amount of money they can get from sellers. That is if the reply you recieved is accurate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
puck4604 wrote:

His reply: "Received game. It's great!" But no feedback. Again, 25 days ago.

Did you leave him feedback first? Once sellers are paid, there's nothing else they need to leave feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This brings up an interesting question. A while ago I took my last name out of BGG just for this reason. However, when I Google my full name, BGG still comes up. Why is that? It's been more than a year since I dropped my last name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Pfeiffer
United States
Surfside Beach
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancer4321 wrote:

With regards to the issue of "excessive" shipping costs, *NEVER* buy from a seller who doesn't tell you up front in the item description the total cost that they're charging for S&H -- avoid any seller who uses the dreaded "buyer pays actual S&H" statement and provides you the complete invoice only after you complete the transaction. That way there's no reason to complain that the costs were "excessive" -- you knew what you were paying and should have factored the postage in to the total cost in the first place.

Lance

Wow!!!! I am surprized by your comment about "avoid any seller who uses the dreaded "buyer pays actual S&H" statement and provides you the complete invoice only after you complete the transaction."
I have always told buyers that the shipping would be determined after the item is sold, packaged, brought to the Post Office or UPS, weighed, then once the total shipping coast is actually established, the buyer finds out what the exact cost to ship is. I always thought that at least the way I do it, the buyer knows that I am not ripping him off with phoney make believe shipping fees. Maybe its just me but when I see some standard shipping fee listed for every item that a seller is trying to sell and it is something like (14.95) I think that that seller is trying to increase his profits using shipping to get more money. (Espescially when the item arrives with 5.95 shipping stamp right on the package.) I think that WAY TOO MANY ebayers now do that in order to make more bucks and ebay does little to disuade someone who does do it. Sellers should be permanently banned from ebay for charging more than what the shipping fee actually is. If you want to say that there is a dollar fee for going to the post office or there is an added fee for getting a shipping box at BOXES- ARE-US then tell the person UP FRONT that you are in fact doing that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
puck4604 wrote:

His reply: "Received game. It's great!" But no feedback. Again, 25 days ago.

Did you leave him feedback first? Once sellers are paid, there's nothing else they need to leave feedback.

This is not true. For those of us (and I'm including you -- this is not a personal attack) who are reasonable and honest it would seem clear that once a buyer has paid he's done and the seller should leave him feedback.

Unfortunately, there are buyers who are giant pains in the rear. Sellers have to deal with chargebacks, buyers who make false claims, and even some who decide after delivery that the agreed to S/H costs were too high.

There's too much risk for most sellers to leave feedback first. As a buyer, I always expect to be the one to leave it first, thanks to the small number of buyers who can't seem to behave themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.