Subject: RTL updated - Side quests for Hero and Monster packs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Didn't see this one coming, but an update for the app today has added nine free side quests, one for each Hero and Monster Collection. Making these boxes even better value for pure app-only players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Deano2099 wrote:
Didn't see this one coming, but an update for the app today has added nine free side quests, one for each Hero and Monster Collection. Making these boxes even better value for pure app-only players.

What's the new version number?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Armstrong
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
Deano2099 wrote:

What's the new version number?

1.1.7 - Released
12 SEPTEMBER - FANTASY FLIGHT GAMES
• 9 free side quests added! 1 for each Hero and Monster Collection. (See collection manager for additional details)
• Updated webstore URLs in the collection manager.
• Minor bug fixes and text updates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
This is really exciting! Might have to buy more though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is the genius of this app. I already own all of D2E, and am loving the app experience. The H&M packs added nice variety to which monsters would show up randomly. And then:

NINE WILD QUESTS APPEAR!

Absolutely can't wait for more campaigns. Given they were able to throw these 9 quests out relatively quickly (I'm sure they were in dev un-announced while Kindred Fire etc. were still being worked on, but it's quick), it makes me wonder just how long it should take them to get new full campaigns released at $10-$15 a pop or whatever. I can't imagine it'd take too terribly long, since half of the campaign just pulls from existing side quests in your library. I'll gladly gobble all of that up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDonald
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG just posted a news item about this. A couple of the new quests also have alternate maps that use expansion tiles if you have them. They are definitely figuring out clever ways to get people to buy more expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smart marketing, really incentives people to buy more (especially the most expensive/less value monster collections, as compared to boxed sets), I'm a little tempted!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
cfmcdonald wrote:
FFG just posted a news item about this. A couple of the new quests also have alternate maps that use expansion tiles if you have them. They are definitely figuring out clever ways to get people to buy more expansions.

There mustn't be very much of this, because there are no new tiles used in these quests that weren't used in the expansion specific quests (46 sides across 7 quests).

Edit: Sorry, made a mistake, extra tiles are 36A, 38B, 40A, 42A, 43B, 50B, 54B, 57B, 60B, 63B, 66B, 68B. Also dark realm joint and city entrance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok next they'll announce a new quest for each leuit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlad Povlad
msg tools
Milarky wrote:
ok next they'll announce a new quest for each leuit?

would be nice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Sharkey
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:

Heck yea!! Thanks man for the catch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
cfmcdonald wrote:

Does this by chance mean you can get either/any of the maps randomly, if you have everything enabled? Or if you have it all, will you just end up with the fully-tricked-out map and no variation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
SeanLuc wrote:
cfmcdonald wrote:

Does this by chance mean you can get either/any of the maps randomly, if you have everything enabled? Or if you have it all, will you just end up with the fully-tricked-out map and no variation?

I expect the second one as this is how it has been done so far with RtL. Also the standard tiles get really old after a full campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
BruceLGL wrote:
SeanLuc wrote:
cfmcdonald wrote:

I expect the second one as this is how it has been done so far with RtL. Also the standard tiles get really old after a full campaign.

What are you quoting as "having been done this way so far?" To my knowledge, the only variation is what side quests are actually available, and what monster groups will spawn. I've yearned the entire time for map tile variation WITHIN a quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
SeanLuc wrote:
What are you quoting as "having been done this way so far?" To my knowledge, the only variation is what side quests are actually available, and what monster groups will spawn. I've yearned the entire time for map tile variation WITHIN a quest.

There are one or two quests which use the odd tile from expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan A.Y.
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mb
SeanLuc wrote:

I feel you, wishing that they'll use the special tile from manor of ravens one day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd really like the option to see the list of quests and to choose to run a one off quest. My buddies and I want to play against the ice Wyrm - let us pick that quest and play etc...

I like the campaign play - but the ability to choose just a one off quest now and again would be fun too.

Also - very excited to see more content - keep it up FFG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Sinnabell
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
V1.17 Excel File

SPOILER!!!
http://traberforum.at/files/RoadToLegend_V117.xlsx

Soul to Save Set aside tiles 8, 14, 20, 23, 24, 26, 27, and 28.
Hook, Line, and Tentacle Set aside tiles 3, 5, 8, 20, 21, 27, and 1 white objective token.
The Goblin Who Would be King Set aside tiles 1, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, 12, 16, and 25.
Enemy of My Enemy Set aside tiles 4, 6, 7, 9, 13, 14, and 23.
Lair of Tekaris Set aside tiles 1, 3, 7, 8, 13, 14, 16, and 23.
Prison Break Set aside tiles 5, 8, 9, 11, 14, 15, 16, 20, 21, 23, 25, and 26.
The Defense of Thelys Set aside tiles 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 12, 13, 15, 26, and 27.
Bloodhound Set aside tiles 1, 2, 3, 8, 9, 15, 20, 23, 24, 26, and 27.
Hestion's Host Set aside tiles 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 16, 22, 24, 27, and 28.
Dragon Hunting Set aside tiles 5, 6, 7, 8, 11, 12, 15, 19, 20, 24, and 26.
Pest Control Set aside tiles 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, 15, 21, and 25.
Temple of the Elemental Dragon Set aside tiles 8, 9, 12, 31, 32, 34, and 35.
The Demon Hive Set aside tiles 7, 13, 38, and 39.
The Troll's Treasure Set aside tiles 8, 29, 30, 43, 44, 46, and 48.
The Glade of All Illusions Set aside tiles 2, 4, 6, 7, 12, 14, 15, 19, 21, and 26.
{unknown} NEW QUEST (NO TILES AT THE MOMENT)
Names of Nightfall Set aside tiles 21, 78 (x2), 88, 89, 90, 92, 93, 94, 95, and 96.
The Treasure of Davin Throm Set aside tiles 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 12, 16, 21, 23, and 28.
Moth and Flame Set aside tiles 2, 4, and 12.
Burning Wrath Set aside tiles, 1, 4, 5, 20, 25, and 27.
Arachnophilia Set aside tiles 3, 4, 6, 9, 15, and 16.
Choose Your Poison Set aside tiles 3, 5, 6, 9, 21, and 24.
Tooth and Blade Set aside tiles 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 12, 21, 26, and 27.
Time Trials Set aside tiles 1, 5, 12, 14, 16, 17, and 26. Set aside 1 red, 1 white, and 1 blue objective token.
What Brings Us Together Set aside tiles 1, 3, 5, 7, 11, and 13. Set aside 1 green and 4 blue objective tokens.
Bound by Fear Set tiles 2, 4, 9, 24, and 26. Set aside 1 blue, 1 red, 1 white, and 1 green objective token.
Gather No Moss Set aside tiles 2, 5, 8, 9, 10, 12, 14, 16, 19, 21, and 26.
Stand At Thaurgrim's Rest Place 3A, 6A, 10B, 19A, 21A, 27A, 28A, 1 transition, and 3 end caps.
Let Them Go Set aside tiles 1, 4, 5, and 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
BruceLGL wrote:
SeanLuc wrote:

There are one or two quests which use the odd tile from expansions.

Perhaps I was unclear. Prior to this announcement, RtL did have some quests that utilized alternate tiles. They were in fact, the quests that were unlocked with each expansion. LotW's quest used LotW tiles, Trollfens quest used Trollfens tiles, and so on, but never did you see expansion tiles in the Kindred Fire main story quests, nor its built-in side quests (with one strange, almost-certainly bugged instance of using a Labyrinth tile in the Interlude, pretty sure they meant that to be an end-cap).

What I was hoping for is some variation within the base quests, if you have some tile expansions. They've done this with 2 of the 9 H&M quests, although it remains to be seen if it's binary yes/no: if you own the Shadows/Labyrinth expansion, 100% chance of using that map, if not, use other map (I'm hoping for a random draw based on what you have, so if I own the expansions it could be EITHER map).

So, hopefully going forward there will be variations of quest maps that utilize different combinations of tiles. I realize this requires more dev effort, but I feel like this app allows them to churn out content much faster than any of their physical expansions, since they ONLY have to design and balance the quests themselves, not any extra items, heroes, monsters, nor do they have to actually manufacture anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
Altasia wrote:
SeanLuc wrote:

I feel you, wishing that they'll use the special tile from manor of ravens one day.

Yes, to my knowledge the only quest that utilizes these tiles is "Smash and Grab," the quest unlocked from owning MoR. Unfortunately it's a lackluster quest.

Spoiler:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Unrelated to it being lackluster though, it strangely lays out the entire map as soon as you begin, which is the only time I've seen RtL do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
SeanLuc wrote:
...never did you see expansion tiles in the Kindred Fire main story quests

At the very least the interlude will use one tile from SoN, and I understand there are other examples of the occasional tiles being used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
BruceLGL wrote:
SeanLuc wrote:
...never did you see expansion tiles in the Kindred Fire main story quests

At the very least the interlude will use one tile from SoN, and I understand there are other examples of the occasional tiles being used.

Spoilered for Interlude information:

I believe this is the instance that I quoted as a likely bug, and I think it's actually a Labyrinth tile. The one just outside the cabin to the east, correct? Based on search token placement, and the mirrored side to the northwest, I think they meant for that cabin to end in an end cap. There's no reason for that outdoor Labyrinth tile to exist where it does. The weird/funny thing is, one of their main marketing pictures depicts this very issue.

If you have any other evidence of actual map tile variation in base story or base side quests, please feel free to share it, as it would only encourage me. But I've played RtL extensively, having owned the entire D2E ensemble from the start, and have never seen it, sans this one above instance that I addressed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
No, I am talking about the training ground from SoN being used thematically in the castle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
I know people have asked about the Conversion Kit before.
But has anyone experienced trouble when you use the CK-monsters-versions instead of the Monster and hero packs?
Same question goes for the CK-heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O P
msg tools
I don't think I saw an answer to this yet, but what happens if I'm in mid-campaign? Do I get the new quests right away or do I have to start a new one for those to appear?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.