Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregg Prendergast
United States
Newton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just found about this awesome looking game and I want to buy it in the worst way, but I can't find a base game/core set anywhere. Is there such a thing or do we have to buy it "ala carte" and put together a game piece by piece?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ala cart I'm afraid. The fastest way to buy a team is to get the Hunter's Set, as you get a full team in the box. The other Season 1 team Sets only bring 3 players. A good way to start would be two team starter sets and play the 3x3 rules to learn.

Or just jump in head first

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There really isn't much concept of a "core set" for a miniatures game. Instead you have starter boxes for each individual faction. If you buy starter boxes you can consider that as sort of like a core set, and some companies do pick two random factions and package them that way but it's pretty artificial. Much better just to realize that this concept makes no sense for a minis game and pick your own two factions to start with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
dboeren wrote:
There really isn't much concept of a "core set" for a miniatures game. Instead you have starter boxes for each individual faction. If you buy starter boxes you can consider that as sort of like a core set, and some companies do pick two random factions and package them that way but it's pretty artificial. Much better just to realize that this concept makes no sense for a minis game and pick your own two factions to start with.

Nonsense. Hordes has a great two player box you can buy that has everything you need.

Guild Ball does not have this. A full team will run you around 100. Then you need team tokens (15-30). Then you can decide if you need rulers, season cards, status tokens, playing field, etc etc etc MONEY!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
Nonsense. Hordes has a great two player box you can buy that has everything you need.

Guild Ball does not have this. A full team will run you around 100. Then you need team tokens (15-30). Then you can decide if you need rulers, season cards, status tokens, playing field, etc etc etc MONEY!!!!

Or you can start with printing everything you need: teams, rules, the whole lot. Feels like you're exaggerating. Sure, a full team will be 100, but you can start of with a lot less and don't need anything else if you don't want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:

Which is basically equivalent to two randomly chosen single-faction starters packaged together as I was saying. Great if those are the exact two factions you happen to like best but otherwise not really ideal. With as many factions as Warmachine/Hordes has the odds of those being the same two factions you would have chosen on your own are pretty small.

In the case of Guildball, all rules and even paper printout minis are available free from their website. Just print what you want and try it out, it costs zero dollars. If you cannot stand the idea of paper minis, then pick any two teams you like and buy their starters for about $30 each on eBay. There is seriously no need to buy a bunch of stuff just to try out the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
The game doesn't actually require any purchases to play -- unlike "other" minis games, Guild Ball has everything free for download, even cardboard standees to represent the minis so you can play the game and see if you like it *before* spending hundreds on the minis. Even all the stats for all the players are available for free online.

But no, there is no core set -- to play "demo" games (on a 2' x 2' table) you need a Captain and two players on each side for a total of 6 models.

The easiest way to get that is to download the cardboard standees and see if you like the game. Then, if you do, buy two Starter Boxes. After a while, you can expand to the "full" game of a Captain, 4 Players, and a Mascot.

Enjoy! This game really is fun to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is likely going to be a starter set released before Christmas. Rumored teams are Masons vs Brewers. Price point and what is included has not been revealed as far as I know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
dboeren wrote:
broken clock wrote:

Which is basically equivalent to two randomly chosen single-faction starters packaged together as I was saying. Great if those are the exact two factions you happen to like best but otherwise not really ideal. With as many factions as Warmachine/Hordes has the odds of those being the same two factions you would have chosen on your own are pretty small.

In the case of Guildball, all rules and even paper printout minis are available free from their website. Just print what you want and try it out, it costs zero dollars. If you cannot stand the idea of paper minis, then pick any two teams you like and buy their starters for about $30 each on eBay. There is seriously no need to buy a bunch of stuff just to try out the game.

It's two factions (not random), rules, dice, map, ruler. It's everything you need to start the game (a full game, not some nonsense starter game like Guild Ball currently offers with these weird three man starters). It's an excellent method of selling the game and it will be emulated by other companies, most certainly.

I was simply combating this notion that it's not possible in a miniatures game. It is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
It's two factions (not random), rules, dice, map, ruler. It's everything you need to start the game (a full game, not some nonsense starter game like Guild Ball currently offers with these weird three man starters). It's an excellent method of selling the game and it will be emulated by other companies, most certainly.

Sorry if I was unclear. It's always the same two factions, it's not random in that sense. What I meant was that there are a lot of factions and Privateer Press arbitrarily picked two of them to be the ones in the "starter" box. Point being, you're not getting the two factions you want, you're getting the two factions some other guy decided to put in there.

I've been playing Warmachine/Hordes as well as many other minis games for over a decade now. Everyone has had the opportunity to "copy" this method for years, and Games Workshop sold a 2-faction starter for many years prior to when PP started doing it. It's just not really that great of an idea, particularly for games that feature a large number of factions. The more factions there are in the game, the less likely two arbitrarily chosen ones are going to match your needs. It's simpler and matches the gamer's needs better to just buy two single faction starters for whatever factions you actually want.

broken clock wrote:
I was simply combating this notion that it's not possible in a miniatures game. It is.

Sure it's possible. Nobody claimed otherwise. It's just not that good a fit in many cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It'd be great if they would offer "Build your own starter" bundle deals on their website, or encourage retailers to do the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the reason companies don't offer that is just the difficulty of offering so many SKU's and stores won't want to stock them because it greatly increases the chance of them "guessing wrong" about what factions will be popular and ending up with stock that just sits on the shelf.

When you look at things from the store's perspective, they want a slim and simple line of products to make it easier to know what to buy and what will sell. Choice is good for the customer, but bad for the store. Privateer Press has simplified their unit packaging for this very reason. They used to offer both a base minimum sized unit and a booster blister. So, you'd buy a 6 man unit and then 0-2 2 man boosters to get your unit to whatever size you wanted. But that's twice as many SKU's which add up now that there are so many units. Sales can be lost if you're out of either product and the store ends up with product that can't be sold until they buy MORE product which may or may not sell.

Now, if you order straight from the company it would be easier to offer a package deal where you pick two starters as a bundle but then you're cutting out the local game store and making packing/shipping harder on the company who'd rather just send out giant pallets of stuff to distributors rather than little orders to individual people.

There's no perfect solution for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's be honest - Guild Ball has the friendliest entry point of any major mini game on the market today. You can go to their website and get a full copy of the rules for free. You can also get the stat card for every single miniature in the game as well as the plot cards, for free. This will allow someone to use proxy miniatures or empty bases and play 100% of the game without giving Steamforge a single penny, that's more than a little generous. If that's not enough, they also offer printable standup paper models for the minis, and a free Vassal module that is one of the most well developed of any I've ever seen.

There is a two player starter set coming, but there is no reason to wait for this. Download the rules and cards and play, find out what teams you like or dislike, or if the game is even right for you. If it is and you decide to get some minis, it's still one of the least expensive miniature games to start in, by a wide margin. $100-120 for a full list ready to put on the table is practically unheard of in minis. I can't think of any other game outside of Mercs where this is possible.

You don't 'need' tokens or play mats. When we started I used glass beads to mark influence, dice to count momentum, and some write on token I already owned for status and effect markers. You can easily use pieces of paper for example, or again there are printable tokens available for free. I used a green piece of 3x3 felt for the pitch, and eventually made a nicer version by marking off lines.

It's a wonderful game to play, and costs absolutely nothing to try it yourself if you are interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal
Slovakia
Sala
-
flag msg tools
It seems that around christmas there will be two player starter with everything you need to play(http://www.beastsofwar.com/groups/news-rumors/forum/topic/gu...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Wiles
United States
Oakland
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The two-player starter set has now been released and looks like an incredible deal. Everything you need to play is in the box (miniatures, board, dice, tokens, measuring widgets, rules).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BUY THIS!!!

Guild Ball: Kick Off!

It's an amazing deal for an amazing game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.