Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

Cry Havoc» Forums » General

Subject: Disappointed in Portal... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Perry
United States
Red Lion
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I generally love Portal's designs and will always check out a new release they publish, but the business they've conducted (rather, the staments they made and later contradicted) over last few months has started to leave a bitter taste in my mouth towards them.

It started with the the 51st State Master Set pre-order fiasco and now has continued to Cry Havoc. Regarding 51st State, we were told ample notice was going to be given before the preorders ended. Instead, we got a "Hey guys, sorry but the preorder versions sold out too quickly and we didn't think they would, but you can put your name on a waiting list and maybe still get a copy." Potential customers who didn't check on the game for a week were completely out of luck.

Now with Cry Havoc, we were told preorder customers will receive the game well before retail customers. The latest newsletter shows the US street date to be at the end of September, some 2.5 weeks away. Unless we're all going to get notifications at once that our packages are being overnighted, this looks like another statement that has landed far from its mark.

Portal could have been upfront regarding 51st State and told us the amount of preorder copies they had ordered from the manufacturer, but instead chose to remain ambiguous and lost customers. They also could have started shipping copies of Cry Havoc that had the farthest to travel first and those nearest to them last so that all costumers received their copies around the same time, but as it stands, none of us in North America know when to expect our orders.

Please keep making great games Portal, but please stop making statements that you aren't backing up.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kusanagi888 wrote:
I generally love Portal's designs and will always check out a new release they publish, but the business they've conducted (rather, the staments they made and later contradicted) over last few months has started to leave a bitter taste in my mouth towards them.

It started with the the 51st State Master Set pre-order fiasco and now has continued to Cry Havoc. Regarding 51st State, we were told ample notice was going to be given before the preorders ended. Instead, we got a "Hey guys, sorry but the preorder versions sold out too quickly and we didn't think they would, but you can put your name on a waiting list and maybe still get a copy." Potential customers who didn't check on the game for a week were completely out of luck.


I don't know the situation with the Cry Havoc shipping but I'm sorry, I have to take a bit of an issue up with this. Yes, 51st State orders closed about a week to a week and a half early, but the production run was under way then and they sold more than they estimated for that run. They have cash-flows to manage, and don't want to end up with loads of unsold games so they need to make a best estimate on what they think they will need to produce - the fact that the game was more popular than they thought is as unfortunate for them as much as those who missed out: if they knew they could move more units, they certainly would have made more. Have you commented similarly on all the other companies who have had game runs sell out instantly and then frantically have to arrange additional print runs? Also, the pre-order ran for 2 or 3 months so there was plenty of time to pre-order it - I left mine for about a month and got in way ahead of the cut-off - plus the fact that it only ended a week or so early means they almost got the number spot-on. Yes, there may be some people who due to financial restrictions couldn't pre-order until that last week, and that's unfortunate, but also life. Sorry to be rather blunt, but don't think that Portal wouldn't have taken your pre-order if they could have done and don't blame them for not getting the demand absolutely right - it must be hellishly difficult to do.

If the pre-order campaign had been 3 weeks long and then ended 1 week early then I might agree with you more on
Kusanagi888 wrote:
Potential customers who didn't check on the game for a week were completely out of luck.

but it was available for a lot longer than that.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan McKinney
msg tools
mb
For what it's worth, I live in Korea and received my copy of the game about two weeks ago.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Perry
United States
Red Lion
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Mad-Halfling wrote:
Kusanagi888 wrote:
I generally love Portal's designs and will always check out a new release they publish, but the business they've conducted (rather, the staments they made and later contradicted) over last few months has started to leave a bitter taste in my mouth towards them.

It started with the the 51st State Master Set pre-order fiasco and now has continued to Cry Havoc. Regarding 51st State, we were told ample notice was going to be given before the preorders ended. Instead, we got a "Hey guys, sorry but the preorder versions sold out too quickly and we didn't think they would, but you can put your name on a waiting list and maybe still get a copy." Potential customers who didn't check on the game for a week were completely out of luck.


I don't know the situation with the Cry Havoc shipping but I'm sorry, I have to take a bit of an issue up with this. Yes, 51st State orders closed about a week to a week and a half early, but the production run was under way then and they sold more than they estimated for that run. They have cash-flows to manage, and don't want to end up with loads of unsold games so they need to make a best estimate on what they think they will need to produce - the fact that the game was more popular than they thought is as unfortunate for them as much as those who missed out: if they knew they could move more units, they certainly would have made more. Have you commented similarly on all the other companies who have had game runs sell out instantly and then frantically have to arrange additional print runs? Also, the pre-order ran for 2 or 3 months so there was plenty of time to pre-order it - I left mine for about a month and got in way ahead of the cut-off - plus the fact that it only ended a week or so early means they almost got the number spot-on. Yes, there may be some people who due to financial restrictions couldn't pre-order until that last week, and that's unfortunate, but also life. Sorry to be rather blunt, but don't think that Portal wouldn't have taken your pre-order if they could have done and don't blame them for not getting the demand absolutely right - it must be hellishly difficult to do.

If the pre-order campaign had been 3 weeks long and then ended 1 week early then I might agree with you more on
Kusanagi888 wrote:
Potential customers who didn't check on the game for a week were completely out of luck.

but it was available for a lot longer than that.


Portal said plenty of notice would be given before the preorder campaign ended, and it was not.

They knew how many copies of the game would be available but chose to keep that information hidden until it was no longer available unless, upon their immediate announcement, you submitted a request via email to possibly have a chance at getting a copy. Instead, simply being forthright with everyone about the number of preorder copies available would have been much more fair to everyone.

If you hadn't checked the forums or their social media pages within the week between the abrupt announcement that preorders had ended and the address for the "late" requests were open, you lost out.

This is not the same as a company selling out of a print run, because no promise was made letting us know that we would have plenty of notice as to when our chance of getting a copy was going to end.

And yeah, you may not know the issue with shipping about Cry Havoc, despite the fact that I clearly laid it out for you in my initial post, but essentially another statement was made that is proving itself false. As a customer and fan, it's both disheartening and aggravating.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Parham
United States
Vacaville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm starting to get frustrated that the US release is September 28th, yet none of the North American preorders have shipped. I guess it's my fault for thinking a preorder is worth the additional cost to have the game earlier.

On top of the release of the preorders, we get to look forward to a terrible rulebook. I love Portals games but they need to get better at rulebooks.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Guibord
Canada
Vaudreuil-dorion
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The entire 51st state issue is 10% Portales fault and 90% yours. Pre-orders were up for like 3 months with notice on BBG, their websites, their twitter account and Facebook page.

Portal only fault was saying they would give a warning ahead of time and they didn't do it in time. The issue is the dice tower did a preview/review of the master set and it cot so much exposure that the majority of their preorder for 51st state master set were gone in hours. Nothing portal could have predicted at this scale of sales.

So it's all nice to blame portal for it, but you should take your part of the blame. If you reply were interested, you Jan 3 months to decide and pre-order.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Perry
United States
Red Lion
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Guibs wrote:
The entire 51st state issue is 10% Portales fault and 90% yours. Pre-orders were up for like 3 months with notice on BBG, their websites, their twitter account and Facebook page.

Portal only fault was saying they would give a warning ahead of time and they didn't do it in time. The issue is the dice tower did a preview/review of the master set and it cot so much exposure that the majority of their preorder for 51st state master set were gone in hours. Nothing portal could have predicted at this scale of sales.

So it's all nice to blame portal for it, but you should take your part of the blame. If you reply were interested, you Jan 3 months to decide and pre-order.


My issue is that they said they'd do something, and they didn't. Now they're doing it again. Plain and simple.

They could have said that they had a certain number of copies for preorder and once they're gone, that's it. They could have said they'd try to get preorders out to North America before the street date but that they can't make any guarantees.

But instead they said the things they said and didn't follow through.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Cult Cargo: Belize City Boil Up
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So don't buy. Game companies have a lot of things to consider, and they can't please everybody. If I wanted a game bad enough to pre-order, I'd go ahead and do it not wait until somebody says "this really is your last chance". But that's just me.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Perry
United States
Red Lion
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Sphere wrote:
So don't buy. Game companies have a lot of things to consider, and they can't please everybody. If I wanted a game bad enough to pre-order, I'd go ahead and do it not wait until somebody says "this really is your last chance". But that's just me.


Keep in mind that I posted my original message on the Cry Havoc forum. I simply used the 51st State Master Set example as a springboard for the current issue at hand, which is that we in North America are being ignored and essentially lied to when it comes to the shipping of our copies. You and the few others who submitted rebuttals to my post are simply choosing to ignore this current issue, however.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kusanagi888 wrote:
Sphere wrote:
So don't buy. Game companies have a lot of things to consider, and they can't please everybody. If I wanted a game bad enough to pre-order, I'd go ahead and do it not wait until somebody says "this really is your last chance". But that's just me.


Keep in mind that I posted my original message on the Cry Havoc forum. I simply used the 51st State Master Set example as a springboard for the current issue at hand, which is that we in North America are being ignored and essentially lied to when it comes to the shipping of our copies. You and the few others who submitted rebuttals to my post are simply choosing to ignore this current issue, however.
And you seem to have already made up your mind, and don't seem to want to discuss it with others in a discussion forum unless it is to agree with you.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmcmahon wrote:
Kusanagi888 wrote:
Sphere wrote:
So don't buy. Game companies have a lot of things to consider, and they can't please everybody. If I wanted a game bad enough to pre-order, I'd go ahead and do it not wait until somebody says "this really is your last chance". But that's just me.


Keep in mind that I posted my original message on the Cry Havoc forum. I simply used the 51st State Master Set example as a springboard for the current issue at hand, which is that we in North America are being ignored and essentially lied to when it comes to the shipping of our copies. You and the few others who submitted rebuttals to my post are simply choosing to ignore this current issue, however.
And you seem to have already made up your mind, and don't seem to want to discuss it with others in a discussion forum unless it is to agree with you.


Portal advertised that those who preordered Cry Havoc through the Portal store would receive their copies well in advance of retail. Folks like the OP shelled out the additional ~$35 for the game (compared to the OLGS price) I assume in no small part because of that advertisement. It seems like Portal missed the mark and will not be able to deliver on their promise. At this point, it seems possible that the game will be available at retail before those who preordered receive their copy. While it's not the end of the world, I think expressing disappointment is a reasonable response, although I'm unsure there is much to discuss.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think part of the negative response comes from the OP calling the 51 State situation a fiasco, which it wasn't. It was just a matter of the print run selling out at very high speed.
Even if you have a valid point in a complaint, the worst thing you can do is to exaggerate...

I have not looked at how Cry Havoc was advertices, so cannot comment on that part of the post.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Perry
United States
Red Lion
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
jimmcmahon wrote:
Kusanagi888 wrote:
Sphere wrote:
So don't buy. Game companies have a lot of things to consider, and they can't please everybody. If I wanted a game bad enough to pre-order, I'd go ahead and do it not wait until somebody says "this really is your last chance". But that's just me.


Keep in mind that I posted my original message on the Cry Havoc forum. I simply used the 51st State Master Set example as a springboard for the current issue at hand, which is that we in North America are being ignored and essentially lied to when it comes to the shipping of our copies. You and the few others who submitted rebuttals to my post are simply choosing to ignore this current issue, however.
And you seem to have already made up your mind, and don't seem to want to discuss it with others in a discussion forum unless it is to agree with you.


I posted the original message to express my frustration with one of my most beloved publishers. A few members decided to post about a subset of one of my examples in defense of said publisher at which points I simply reiterate the facts from my original post. I've not said anything untrue, so I'm not sure how I'm deserving of your snarky post (though you and two others seem to think I am).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Perry
United States
Red Lion
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
dbc- wrote:
I think part of the negative response comes from the OP calling the 51 State situation a fiasco, which it wasn't. It was just a matter of the print run selling out at very high speed.
Even if you have a valid point in a complaint, the worst thing you can do is to exaggerate...

I have not looked at how Cry Havoc was advertices, so cannot comment on that part of the post.


They specifically said they would give plenty of notice, which they did not. They did not need to give such a statement, but they did and didn't live up to it. They could have still given a lengthy notice and made those extra components available via a second print run as long as those who wanted that version were willing to wait for it. I was/am not alone in my issues with this; you could check the forums yourself to see the multitude of upset gamers.

Again, however, 51st State is only half (and not even the most relevant half) of my issue.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kusanagi888 wrote:
jimmcmahon wrote:
Kusanagi888 wrote:
Sphere wrote:
So don't buy. Game companies have a lot of things to consider, and they can't please everybody. If I wanted a game bad enough to pre-order, I'd go ahead and do it not wait until somebody says "this really is your last chance". But that's just me.


Keep in mind that I posted my original message on the Cry Havoc forum. I simply used the 51st State Master Set example as a springboard for the current issue at hand, which is that we in North America are being ignored and essentially lied to when it comes to the shipping of our copies. You and the few others who submitted rebuttals to my post are simply choosing to ignore this current issue, however.
And you seem to have already made up your mind, and don't seem to want to discuss it with others in a discussion forum unless it is to agree with you.


I posted the original message to express my frustration with one of my most beloved publishers. A few members decided to post about a subset of one of my examples in defense of said publisher at which points I simply reiterate the facts from my original post. I've not said anything untrue, so I'm not sure how I'm deserving of your snarky post (though you and two others seem to think I am).

Please point out any snark that I posted here, as I was unaware of there being any.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This discussions seems to be going nowhere good :/

For the lovers: Do you disagree that portal has been misleading about these things (though I assume not intentionally)? For example 51st state was supposed to come one month early to backers but I think it arrived around the same time as general release. You must admit that can be disappointing.

For the haters: Mistakes have happened, but surely these things are quite small in the grand scheme of things. The games are still very good and its not like they took someones money without giving them a game or did anything shady. I am sure they will try to improve at these things, I don't think any of these mistakes were planned.

Meet in the middle?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Portal guys have their hearts in the right place, it's just that they're taking too much on their plate recently, more that they can handle. I think they just need to grow a bit (hire more people, etc, etc.).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
Portal guys have their hearts in the right place, it's just that they're taking too much on their plate recently, more that they can handle. I think they just need to grow a bit (hire more people, etc, etc.).

Don't know their employee situation so can't comment on that, but I agree with your general premise. Portal have good intentions but the execution has room for improvement.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Cult Cargo: Belize City Boil Up
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:
rattkin wrote:
Portal guys have their hearts in the right place, it's just that they're taking too much on their plate recently, more that they can handle. I think they just need to grow a bit (hire more people, etc, etc.).

Don't know their employee situation so can't comment on that, but I agree with your general premise. Portal have good intentions but the execution has room for improvement.

Everybody's execution has room for improvement. Including the dude who started two threads to rag a company that makes excellent games because he feels entitled.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
MentatYP wrote:
rattkin wrote:
Portal guys have their hearts in the right place, it's just that they're taking too much on their plate recently, more that they can handle. I think they just need to grow a bit (hire more people, etc, etc.).

Don't know their employee situation so can't comment on that, but I agree with your general premise. Portal have good intentions but the execution has room for improvement.

Everybody's execution has room for improvement. Including the dude who started two threads to rag a company that makes excellent games because he feels entitled.

The implied sentiment is more room for improvement, not just merely that nobody is perfect which is of course true but doesn't need to be said per se. Portal have had a few hiccups in the recent past and present (51st State preorder, Cry Havoc preorder, Cry Havoc faction balance), which is why I said what I said.

My statement was intended to be gentle criticism with understood implications, but since you took it only at the most literal level I felt I needed to elaborate.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Cult Cargo: Belize City Boil Up
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:
My statement was intended to be gentle criticism with understood implications, but since you took it only at the most literal level I felt I needed to elaborate.

I wasn't misconstruing your statement, I was using it as a springboard for my own.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
MentatYP wrote:
My statement was intended to be gentle criticism with understood implications, but since you took it only at the most literal level I felt I needed to elaborate.

I wasn't misconstruing your statement, I was using it as a springboard for my own.

Fair enough.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Parham
United States
Vacaville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Five days before retail release and still no shipping notice. Plus, I saw a post that said CSI preorders were in.

Very disappointed in a company that I have purchased many games from. This will definitely be the last time I preorder from them.

No communication on the matter is even more amateur on Portal's part.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Goreyok wrote:
Five days before retail release and still no shipping notice. Plus, I saw a post that said CSI preorders were in.

Very disappointed in a company that I have purchased many games from. This will definitely be the last time I preorder from them.

No communication on the matter is even more amateur on Portal's part.


I don't necessarily know if I expect a response, but I did email Portal this morning to inquire about my preorder. I'll update if I hear anything.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy arrived today. I never got a shipping notice.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.