Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was edited out of the Game News rather quickly:

Quote:
Our top story today is that Riot Games, the preposterously large and successful video game developer that makes League of Legends, has unveiled a board game set in that world. It’s called Mechs Vs. Minions, it’s shipping to customers in just a couple of months and it’s one heck of an exciting box.

Mechs Vs. Minions is a co-operative campaign game where up to 4 players each program robots that then go stomping, blasting and carving their way through a crowd of tiny warriors trying to kill you. And not only is this box as opulent as the world’s most ridiculous Kickstarters, with pre-painted miniatures, metal cogs and the most impressive inlay ever made, the game’s cool too. If I’m being flattering, it’s Robo Rally meets Descent, with a few fun Legacy-style surprises as you advance through each of the campaign’s missions.

Just in terms of presentation and what you get in the box Mechs Vs. Minions is a strong contender for the most lavish board game ever made, but it’s also the best value for money I’ve ever seen.

In other words, you’re going to be hearing a lot about this game.

Sounds really interesting, but I know nothing about LOL. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destrio Dai
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't sound like they are remaking the pc game experience of 5v5 but going with a different route. Assuming this is real.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Doesn't sound like it has much of anything to do with LOL other than the universe. The concept sounds good (I like games with programming), but I'd like to see some more concrete stuff before getting too excited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounded interesting up until the 'legacy' part. I hate that the boardgaming hobby has glommed onto disposable games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
I always thought it would be cool to see DOTA or LOL as a board game, but never knew how you would implement it. I'm definitely interested in how this game will play. Found one post with photos, but need google translate to read it (looks like it says it'll retail for around $80, and the minis come painted).

http://how2play.pl/leagueoflegends/mechs-vs-minions-planszow...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always hope noone gets into trouble for that.

What is interesting is that Tom Vasel from the Dice Tower also mentioned something about a quiet big (?) game from a company that noone would have suspected something from to come and that he can talk about soon and that it's supposed to be a quiet fun and good game. So he might be under the same NDA as SU/SD, which is why they now deleted their stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
András Bárándi
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmb
im really intrested in this one. i play LOL since season 1 and love and play board games i hope it will be fun and cannot w8 the dice tower review

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Doesn't sound like LoL at all. Even if it shares some mechanisms, the core of LoL is player vs. player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

Doesn't sound like LoL at all. Even if it shares some mechanisms, the core of LoL is player vs. player.

While the title thread could be misleading, the statement clearly says it just set in the same universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legend5555 wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

While the title thread could be misleading, the statement clearly says it just set in the same universe.

Sorry if it's misleading? Like I said, I don't know anything about LoL, so I didn't know that this was nothing like the video game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Sounded interesting up until the 'legacy' part. I hate that the boardgaming hobby has glommed onto disposable games.

And exactly how many legacy games are there, out of the thousand of board games that comes out every year, 5-6?

How many board games do you own? I have about 300 games now and only 1 legacy game in my collection. And I'm sure people that have more games than me have an even less percentage of legacy games in their collection. This is definitely an example of mountain out of a mole hill. Really we're talking about .01% of all board games being a legacy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Parsons
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dice Tower also recently said that they would be talking about a fun looking upcoming game "from a company you may not expect to make a board game" once the NDA is lifted in "three weeks." That was roughly two weeks ago, so I think that starts to further validate this news.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Riseborough
Canada
Leduc
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But...but...but, the kids! We must protect the kids from the evals of legacy!

ZeWildStar wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

And exactly how many legacy games are there, out of the thousand of board games that comes out every year, 5-6?

How many board games do you own? I have about 300 games now and only 1 legacy game in my collection. And I'm sure people that have more games than me have an even less percentage of legacy games in their collection. This is definitely an example of mountain out of a mole hill. Really we're talking about .01% of all board games being a legacy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robo-Rally meets Descent? I'm not sure that was an area that needed to be filled...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
PerpetualFX wrote:
I always thought it would be cool to see DOTA or LOL as a board game, but never knew how you would implement it. I'm definitely interested in how this game will play. Found one post with photos, but need google translate to read it (looks like it says it'll retail for around $80, and the minis come painted).

http://how2play.pl/leagueoflegends/mechs-vs-minions-planszow...

Rum & Bones

'Nuff said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's an advertisement for the game on League's front page (once you're in game).

Looks interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.