Subject: Solo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Duff
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
Anyone thought how they might make a solo variant for this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
heyyouyeahyou 12
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also love to hear about this if someone comes up with something!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Tried thinking about it, but haven't written anything for it. My thoughts on it:

• I think if you were to automate anything, it should be the Sin player, though it seems like there's alot of discretion on the part of the Sin player, so it'll be playing dumb.

• You'd either want to figure out some regular intervals for Sin to react against the player or go with some other random way that uses up all of the Sin players reactions. You could maybe have a deck of cards based on the number of Heroes. 6 cards for 3 heroes, 8 for 4 heroes, with something like a 'No Reaction' result and a 'React' result. Just draw cards at the end of each Heroes action to see if the Sin dummy player reacts.

• No idea how you'd decide which Hero the Sin player would go after. Maybe you'd have to setup some kind of flow-chart thing:
1) Is Hero in same space as a Monster?
2) Hero with most/least Health in range of Monster?
3) Hero with most/least Corruption in range of Monster?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paddirn wrote:

• No idea how you'd decide which Hero the Sin player would go after. Maybe you'd have to setup some kind of flow-chart thing:

That would be determined entirely by when the reaction triggered. The sin player can only start a fight with the player who just activated, so there's no need for a flow chart there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
paddirn wrote:

That would be determined entirely by when the reaction triggered. The sin player can only start a fight with the player who just activated, so there's no need for a flow chart there.

True, though you may need some way of figuring out which monster attacks the Hero. Toughest Monster within 2 spaces of the current Hero?

You would also need a way to figure out how to incorporate Sin cards into the game. It might just depend on how Reactions occur and you could alternate Sin cards with Reactions. Maybe just give the Sin player unlimited Sin cards to cut down on maintenance and to make up for it's lack of planning?

Then there's spawning. Which nests do you spawn monsters from? Closest to the Heroes starting position? Closest to the current objective?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paddirn wrote:

True, though you may need some way of figuring out which monster attacks the Hero. Toughest Monster within 2 spaces of the current Hero?

Again, the rules account for this already: all monsters fight together against the hero.

The other stuff would need a way to automate, but it's workable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre St-Louis
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi guys, Wednesday I should have the time to test some rules to play solo against the sin. I really hope it turns out well because I struggle to get my friends and my girlfriend to play with me. They are usually more interested in my smaller games, less complex and much faster. And I really want to kick some sin's butt, haha. Anyway, wish me luck and if it turns out to be fun, I'll let you know

(english is my second language, please don't be too harsh if I made grammar mistakes )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
paddirn wrote:

Again, the rules account for this already: all monsters fight together against the hero.

The other stuff would need a way to automate, but it's workable.

That's if there's a group of monsters already Fighting with a Hero, what I mean is, which monster moves towards and attacks the current Hero (if any)? The smart thing for the Sin player to do is, the toughest monster in range of the current Hero (not in the same space) moves into that Hero's space and attacks, so that it maximizes its attack by attacking with any other monsters there (if any exist in that space). Otherwise, if it's just the closest monster (in the same space), it might attack alone. Sometimes you even have a choice between monsters of the same strength to move/attack with, it may not be immediately obvious which one moves to attack.

I tried running through a solo game using alternating drawing a Sin card (and applying when applicable), then Reaction against the next Hero, and so on. Seemed simple enough to keep track of, though it gets problematic when the Heroes start gaining +1 action tokens and Sin is out of Reactions. I continued alternating (just in case a Reaction token was gained it would'nt mess up the flow). There's also wasted card draws that have no effect in the current situation and a Sin player likely wouldn't have played, but it's a dummy player, so it's to be expected.

Start of the Round effects called for in each Mission need accounted for as well. When distributing tokens on the board (Corruption, Fire, and Pentagram tokens), where would you distribute to? Distribute on each space with a Hero (and then adjacent spaces) or only distribute to adjacent spaces?

Summoning monsters, similar to adding tokens to the board, which nests do the monsters get summoned to? Distribute on each space with a Hero (and then adjacent spaces) or only distribute to adjacent spaces? Or would you want to distribute to farther away spaces to build up the army over time?

Acolyte once per round abilities: do you just perform the Acolyte effect on the first applicable fight of each round?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Duff
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
I think these are all good ideas, and have been trying to think of ideas myself.

It might be best, but a lot more work, to have sin reactions based on what scenario you are in.

So, for instance, the Haven's Last Stand scenario, for the first goal, you have the sin player try to protect upgrade city actions -- stuff like that.

You'd have generic rules/actions, then specific ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Duff
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
As far as sin cards go, maybe the sin would have an action deck.

After each players turn he looks at the top card.

It could say: Do Not REACT (Unless by not reacting you waste a Reaction).

Or REACT (Play 1st Sin Card) - Sin cards would have to be placed in a deck. Then each sin would likely need rules for each of his sin cards.

Or REACT (Move 2 Monsters Closest to Hero and attack if able). Something like that is what I'm thinking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre St-Louis
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi guys, today I tested some solo rules (sorry for the big wall of text, I don't know if there is a better way to post this) and it turned out not too bad. I won relatively easily playing Haven's Last Stand on map B with 3 heroes. The sin killed 3 of them, one of the 3 sacrificing his life to win. Here are the rules, but I'll just share a little bit of the thought process behind it first. By the way, english is my second language.

Firstly, I decided to not play with the cards because I could not find a way to implement them in an automated fashion. Then I decided to give the sin player a reaction after every hero turn to compensate. It also was easier to not find a way to decide when the sin react. And then I decided to reduce the number of space they can move by one, thinking that it would maybe make the sin too strong. Maybe. I also decided to randomize with a die throw the possible reactions of the sin. I thought it would add some unpredictability. I went with the general idea that the sin always want 3 things: to attack, to group up his monsters and to reinforce the spaces where there is an objective. So, without further ado, here are the rules.

(Feedback, of course, will be sincerely appreciated)

The sin react after every hero turn.
The sin don’t play with cards. (This make Gluttony currently unusable)
Monsters move only ONE space when they react.
Monsters still move up to two spaces to reach a hero who failed to kill them in a ranged fight.
Spawn one more monster then the number of player, by default.
You will need to clearly identify where are the mission objectives on the map (mark them) because a lot of the sin reactions will be played consequently.

Possible reactions are determined by the situation and by a die result (sin’s die).

If no monster can reach the active hero (the one who just finished his turn):

Hit= the nearest monster to any hero move closer to that hero (prioritize the active hero).

Corruption= reinforce the nearest monster of any hero with another monster. If no monster are adjacent, reinforce the second nearest monster of any hero. If no monster is adjacent to another, thus making this action impossible, proceed like a hit result.

Burst and Blank= reinforce the nearest objective to any hero. If impossible (monsters too far) reinforce the second nearest objective. If still impossible, move the farthest monster to any hero closer to an objective.

If a monster can reach the active hero:

Hit and Burst= fight.

Corruption= reinforce the monster at reach. If impossible, fight.

Blank= reinforce the nearest objective to any hero. If impossible, fight.

If a monster is already in the space of the active hero:

If another monster is adjacent, move him in that space and fight

If not:

Hit, Burst and Blank= fight.

Corruption= move another monster in a space containing another hero. If impossible, fight.

When one or more hero(es) is/are adjacent to an objective, or in it space, the objective is threatened. The sin prioritize this objective.

If no monsters are in a space containing a threatened objective, move a monster there.

If impossible, move a monster in an adjacent space to that objective, preferably in a space containing a hero (fight him if he’s the active hero.)
If impossible, move the nearest monster to any hero closer to a hero (prioritize the active hero).

If one or more monster(s) is/are already in the space with the threatened objective:

Hit and Burst= Move a monster in a space containing a hero. Prioritize the adjacency to the threatened objective and then prioritize the active hero (and fight him). If impossible, reinforce the objective. If impossible, move the nearest monster closer to that objective (enter a zone containing a hero if possible. If he’s the active hero, fight him.)

Corruption= Reinforce the objective. If impossible, proceed like Hit and Burst.

Priorities when choosing which monster to use:
A monster never leaves a space containing a threatened objective.
The sin, when fighting and reinforcing, prefer to use the strongest monster available.
The sin, when moving a monster, prefer to keep them as close to the objectives as possible. The sin prefer to move closer to the heroes the monsters that are farther to any objective.
When the objective is one or more monster, the sin prefer to keep them far and grouped up.
If those priorities are not enough to determine which monster to use during a reaction (more than one monster answer to all restrictions and priorities), decide with a die.

Marking monsters:
When marking monsters as part of a mission, mark the strongest, farthest to any hero and most grouped up monsters, in that order. If possible, do not mark more than one monster per space.

Spawning:
The sin spawn the strongest monsters first, closer to the heroes, then closer to the objectives. If some monsters are the objectives, they are spawned farther to the heroes.
Same rules apply when spawning a monster as an event or through an apocalypse card.

Tokens:
For each token, roll a die:

Hit= put in the space containing the hero closer to an objective
Corruption= put in a space containing an objective
Burst and Blank= put with a monster adjacent to an objective. If no monster adjacent, put in a zone adjacent to an objective.

For pentagram:

Hit and Burst= put in a space containing a monster near the heroes
Corruption and Blank= put in a space containing an objective

Prioritize proximity to heroes and proximity to threatened objectives.

Decide with a die if multiple spaces answer the restrictions.

Acolytes:

Before a fight involving one or more acolyte, throw a die for each acolyte. On a corruption result, use the acolyte's ability. Not limited to once per round.

Controller:

The controller always possess the power indicated on the sin card that affects him.

Gaining reactions:

If the sin player gain extra reactions, spawn monsters instead.

Now, feel free to experiment, fill the blanks and hopefully improve this system if you feel it has some potential. Together, we can do it!

(edited to add the rule about the acolyte's ability.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sakari Laiho
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to try it... But maybe the game is good when training yourself to be the sins player. Testing possibilities. Hard to know yet when not owning the game but I'm thinking some kind of

"intelligencetree" where all possibilities are mentioned, and you throw a dice or take a card which one sinplayer decides... It should also react on happenings on board, when players are close to accomplish their goals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Duff
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
Yeah. I'm kinda put off by not using the sins cards. There has to be a way to do it. Even as something as simple as use it 4 times in a row immediately. Taking away those puts the sin at a big disadvantage if all he can do is move around and attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre St-Louis
Canada
flag msg tools
Yeah I thought about it too. I came up with the begining of an idea since then. Maybe if we separate the sin's cards into timing category and draw them in the situations they fit. Like, regroup the begining of a hero turn cards, the before a fight cards, etc. and, let's say, before a hero turn (or before a fight) throw a die and draw a card on a corruption result. Maybe throw more than one die if more monsters. I think something can be worked along the line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Dick
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
This should be moved to the variant section thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.