Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
Read it again, carefully...
badge
Hey! I bought OverText! I'm cooler than you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this has been discussed here absolutely to death, so I'm not going to comment on the merits/faults of the app-run game, but in light of the recent loss of Warhammer IP license, I will be regularly backing up as many ports of the XCOM app as I can download (even for platforms I don't currently own) to ensure I will always have access to it, and I suggest you do the same...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one more reason why I shie away from app-run board games. If I want an app, I'll play an app. Otherwise, keep me unplugged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason I downloaded, stored and installed the stand-alone Windows version was so that I could always be assured of playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Errr... but XCOM is not Games Workshop's IP...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XDarkAngelX wrote:
Errr... but XCOM is not Games Workshop's IP...

This is true, but then again, XCOM is not FFGs IP either ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still a total non sequitur of a thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XDarkAngelX wrote:
Still a total non sequitur of a thread.

Not entirely - the loss of the Warhammer license shows that there is a real threat that games could disappear off the shelf for reasons beyond the manufacturer's control - were FFG to lose the XCOM license, the question of what would happen to the app is a valid one.

Though, yeah, it's not an imminent concern, and it's not even going to be that pressing a concern when the time comes - it's only when you dust off the box in a forgotten attic years from now and seek to download the app that it becomes an issue...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Have we lost any apps that support board games with the GW rights migration? I don't think we have.

If the contracts were created correctly players don't have to be punished because of rights migration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We did lose Alien Frontiers though, for other reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Completely useless alarm raised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to offer my support to the OP.

True - there is no sign AT THE MOMENT that FFG will lose (or not renew) the licence. But, as has been shown with GW, as looks likely to happen with Prodos and AvP, as happened with the Discworld licence (I could go on), licences DO end. Companies DO stop being willing or able to provide support, especially once the marketable life of the game is over.

It may well be the case that there will be ample opportunity to back up the App in years to come, rather than it suddenly vanishing.....but why take the chance?

No - it's not be any means an "aargh! Back it up in the next six seconds or its gone forever!!!" But it IS a useful reminder that - if you love the game, and have some spare time - a backup today may be a blessing in a few years time, especially if you do not avidly keep up with all the industry news.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stu Holttum wrote:
I want to offer my support to the OP.

True - there is no sign AT THE MOMENT that FFG will lose (or not renew) the licence. But, as has been shown with GW, as looks likely to happen with Prodos and AvP, as happened with the Discworld licence (I could go on), licences DO end. Companies DO stop being willing or able to provide support, especially once the marketable life of the game is over.

It may well be the case that there will be ample opportunity to back up the App in years to come, rather than it suddenly vanishing.....but why take the chance?

No - it's not be any means an "aargh! Back it up in the next six seconds or its gone forever!!!" But it IS a useful reminder that - if you love the game, and have some spare time - a backup today may be a blessing in a few years time, especially if you do not avidly keep up with all the industry news.

A post in the name of common-sense in place of the negative one-liners dotted throughout this discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We're living under the sky. We could be invaded by aliens anytime for real so it's ALWAYS good to play safe.
However, it is premature to suggest backing up the application for a game that has just announced an expansion.

In 2017, if there are no new developments and if the PC game doesn't come out with a new episode, we may imagine the licensing problem as a possibility from 2020 and onwards.

By then, the torrent is our friend... but wait at least for SIGNS of that happening before panicking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing how X-COM licence is about to expire any second now, and folks dont want to be holding on to a useless box of cardboard, I am willing to offer a some cash for the game. I realize i am purchasing a now or soon to be over sized paper weight but im willing to suffer like that. Ill take one for the team...

Any takers want to get rid of their game for pennys on the dollar!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.