War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: 6 player 1v1 tournament ideas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Tumpane
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Hi all! I'm planning a wotr tournament between our group of players (there are six of us). I'm thinking it would make sense to make a weekend out of it. Like rent a house at the coast,bring 3 copies of the game and have a little tourney.

How would you guys go about setting that up? Would it be round based where each player gets a go as the FP and shadow and then do knockout stages?

Open to any and all ideas. Thanks so much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the first question is, how many games do you think your group could [happily/comfortably] play in the weekend? My initial suggestion would be a round robin "group stage" where you play each opponent once (5 games total) and have a balance between Free and Shadow (possibly using Dwarven Rings bidding in the 5th game if that is a concern). Then the top 2 players have a best of 3 finals, or do a single elimination tournament where the top 2 players get a bye.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Lucas
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just jokingly offer to join you...and then noticed that you're from Oregon too!

War of the Ring is my favorite game of all time, but I don't get to play nearly enough (and playing online isn't really my thing). If you're near the Portland area I'd love to get together for a game sometime!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Tumpane
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Hey cameron, cheers from sellwood! I'll shoot you a pm about getting a game together sometime soon. I'm getting married in a couple weeks so it might be a little while before we can, but would certainly welcome you to join.

Be forewarned: we typically either blast the soundtrack to the films during games or watch the movies, drink fairly heavily, and the matches can tend to get a bit rowdy. Enter at your own peril!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Lucas
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any other way to play?

And congrats on the marriage!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver O'Brien
msg tools
Cameron,

I play with Pat a lot and am sure that I'll be seeing you if this all works out. Just thought I'd say "Hi."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.