Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As a player of sports simulation games both on the table and my computer, it's hard not to feel a bit lonely. There are things about games like APBA and Strat-O-Matic that I have a hard tome conveying to some people.

I wasx thinking of starting a guild for sportsgamers on the Geek, covering both board and PC games, but first I am wondering if it's already been done and my efforts would be duplicated. This assumes, of course, that I can make it well-known enough that people will join.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, as a fan of sports, I have the problem that I just don't think there are that many good sport themed board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd join. I like sports games like Paydirt and Bowl Bound, as well as the old Statis Pro baseball and basketball games, and those AH classics, Football Strategy and Baseball Strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was actually about to create the guild, but ran into a problem -- I have no website to link to and the Guild menu requires one.

What's a guy to do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I had tried with this long ago:
GROGnads BGG
msg tools

While immediately AFTER/BEFORE receiving 'confirmation'/'respond' message, then my laptop WENT "itty-bitty-bits-tits-up" for almost a year then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

Michael Hopcroft wrote:
I was actually about to create the guild, but ran into a problem -- I have no website to link to and the Guild menu requires one.

What's a guy to do?

No it doesn't. It asks for one in case you have a webpage, but it's not required.
Go for it.
I'm in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tanik wrote:

Michael Hopcroft wrote:

What's a guy to do?

No it doesn't. It asks for one in case you have a webpage, but it's not required.
Go for it.
I'm in.

And so the Home Coach Advantage Guild launches!

I could use some help with the setup -- especially the introductory text which will take me a while to write and on which I could use input. I'm also thinking of a sportsgame Geeklist linked to the Guild open to both board and PC games, current and historic, to serve as a quick reference guide of sorts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Touchfuzzy wrote:
Honestly, as a fan of sports, I have the problem that I just don't think there are that many good sport themed board games.

I'm sorry I didn't answer this sooner, but I'm curious about your definition of a "good sports-themed board game". It sounds like the typical sports sim is different from what you would consider a good game, because that would be true for many people. I will say that right up front, and hope not to be judged for it.

Strat-o-Matic's line
, for example, scratches very specific itches that many people don't understand. And on the PC front there is a world of difference between Football Manager and the FIFA line, or between Madden and Strat-o-Matic Football.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.