Shaun Derrick
United Kingdom
Coventry
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried to find an answer to this on forums but failed to do so. 5 rounds with 5 players x 3 tiles each is 75 tiles and there are only 73 in the game.
Where do the 2 spare tiles come from? Return the discard in turn 5? Didn't see anything in the rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Discarded tiles are returned to the bag in every round.

Page 4 at the top:
3. Discard a tile
Each player puts the tile marked with their discard marker back into the bag. Then shuffle the contents of the bag thoroughly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Derrick
United Kingdom
Coventry
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
dhc3po wrote:

Page 4 at the top:
3. Discard a tile
Each player puts the tile marked with their discard marker back into the bag. Then shuffle the contents of the bag thoroughly.

Oh! I missed that. Not so sure I like that rule. Too many unwanted tiles could come out each turn which means potentially, too much focus on just one or two new tiles. I prefer my original - though incorrect - ruling of when it's gone, it's gone for the discarded tiles.
Just run through the game solo to try out the rules so my gaming pals will no doubt have their own opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sderrick wrote:
dhc3po wrote:

Page 4 at the top:
3. Discard a tile

Oh! I missed that. Not so sure I like that rule. Too many unwanted tiles could come out each turn which means potentially, too much focus on just one or two new tiles. I prefer my original - though incorrect - ruling of when it's gone, it's gone for the discarded tiles.
Just run through the game solo to try out the rules so my gaming pals will no doubt have their own opinions.

Sometimes the tiles go back in the back because you don't want someone else to have it. Many times, I've seen a very valuable tile for someone else and I didn't have the cash to make it worth my dime to keep. Cheaper to throw it back and make sure they don't get it this round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A useless tile in one round can be the best tile in another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bortmonkey wrote:
A useless tile in one round can be the best tile in another.

My thoughts exactly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are short in cash, it's often better to axe a good tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have found my several times in the situation where an intemporally useless tile comes out again later in the game.

I think I will trash tiles to the game box from now on (I hardly ever play 5p anyway). It also guarantees that you will see more different tiles every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Rice
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sderrick wrote:
dhc3po wrote:

Page 4 at the top:
3. Discard a tile

As others have said, when you axe a tile it's often not because it's worthless but because it's REALLY GOOD.

That is why it must go back in the bag. The player who needs it still has a small chance to draw it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Eppler
Germany
Braunschweig
flag msg tools
From my experience I feel that the chance of the same tile coming up again is relatively small. Usually you spend your concentration to the tiles which are in play and may be don't recognize if the same tile has been axed before. I see no problem in that. In my plays we return the axed tiles to the bag very quickly and only concentrate on the remaining ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What I mostly disliked in putting axed tiles back into the bag, apart from the fact that these tiles come back later, is the time it takes to do it.

Setting them aside near the box is much quicker.

That’s two good reasons for me to use this houserule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Derrick
United Kingdom
Coventry
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that the general concensus is that the rules are positive in this respect. Hoping to play (with other players) for the first time tomorrow night so we shall see how it goes.

Is drawing from a larger pool of tiles, which is more random a good thing? Does it make any difference? Probably not in the end as I doubt even the keenest of players will be able to memorise what has been drawn and discarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ugur Dönmez
Netherlands
Hoofddorp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beri2 wrote:
What I mostly disliked in putting axed tiles back into the bag, apart from the fact that these tiles come back later, is the time it takes to do it.

Setting them aside near the box is much quicker.

Are you serious here? Putting them in one place takes more time than putting them in another?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Absolutely serious.

One player taking the bag
+ that player grabbing and tossing his own tile inside
+ everyone needing to put their tile precisely in the not-so-large mouth of the bag after that player has

not needing to take the bag
+ everyone simultaneously setting aside their tile in some place near them or near the box or tossing it into the wider-than-the-bag game box.

It may be a matter of seconds, but in the end it’s:
seconds
× X rounds
× X games
× "I’m not a fan of useless tiles coming back".

So yes, I’m pretty darn serious, pal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beri2 wrote:
Absolutely serious.

One player taking the bag
+ that player grabbing and tossing his own tile inside
+ everyone needing to put their tile precisely in the not-so-large mouth of the bag after that player has

not needing to take the bag
+ everyone simultaneously setting aside their tile in some place near them or near the box or tossing it into the wider-than-the-bag game box.

It may be a matter of seconds, but in the end it’s:
seconds
× X rounds
× X games
× "I’m not a fan of useless tiles coming back".

So yes, I’m pretty darn serious, pal.

1) They're not always useless tiles. Some can be very valuable and you trash them to get them away from people.

2) We just hold the bag out and everyone throws their tiles in at the same time after the reveal. It's actually probably quicker to do it that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still not sure if serious
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
FunkyBlue wrote:
1) They're not always useless tiles. Some can be very valuable and you trash them to get them away from people.

2) We just hold the bag out and everyone throws their tiles in at the same time after the reveal. It's actually probably quicker to do it that way.
1) They are sometimes. Things happen. Randomness, you know…
2) That’s what I do, thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Lester
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also bears mentioning that there are technically enough tiles to play a 6p game. Combined with the fact that another axe and screen setup are included, it seems like it may have even been intentional to make it possible with 6.

I tried a 6p with my group and the game worked just fine - a little longer, more to pay attention to, and imperative to use the catch up mechanic, but not much different from the 5p game. Actually, I think IoS benefits from having more players (4-6) rather than less as it ramps up the tension of the game - whether you'll make it through a round without someone buying that seemingly worthless tile that you priced at 1 coin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Derrick
United Kingdom
Coventry
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first two games with 5 players and the group liked it a lot. Frustrating when both your tiles get bought but gives you a lot of money.
I was completely shafted in the second game having literally just 2 points on the board going into the last turn. I just went for the wrong stuff and no-one gave me a chance to get the items I wanted - I didn't think I played that badly though!!

I agree that 6 players seems distinctly possible and we might try that at some stage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I REALLY don't understand why people wouldn't put tiles back in the bag. In any game you could make SOME rule that would shorten the gameplay by a few minutes. But that could always compromise the gameplay.

Simply put, permanently removing axed tiles removes the opportunity that other players will get a chance to draw that tile later in the game. Why do you think you should have that right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:
Simply put, permanently removing axed tiles removes the opportunity that other players will get a chance to draw that tile later in the game. Why do you think you should have that right?
Because you remove them for some good reason. And so do your opponents.

I really don’t understand why there is arguing here. Trashing tiles permanently gives the game a slightly different flavour and a) don’t say you don’t like it until you’ve given it a taste b) it doesn’t break the game at all and other people than you may like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Barrios
msg tools
mbmbmb
sderrick wrote:
dhc3po wrote:

Page 4 at the top:
3. Discard a tile

What doesn't work for you might be useful to someone else. It was nice to throw the discarded one in the bag, cause sometimes there's hope it will come up in rounds to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.