BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Contests

Subject: 2016 Mint Tin Design Contest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The mint-tin version of Deep Space D-6 has a neat, folding rule set. Paper craft. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/183571/deep-space-d-6
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner Griffin
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
You can have a very large rulebook on a USB stick or SD card, and that definitely fits in a mint tin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Perry
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What size are those cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
MarkP1981 wrote:
What size are those cards?
Mint Tin Pirates and Mint Tin Aliens uses mini cards I believe. The sizes/conversions of various cards have been posted earlier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
If anyone has any interest to be a guest judge or recommendations, please send me a message. Todd Sanders and Chris Hansen (II) have been judges in the past contests I've run. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rayburn
United States
California
flag msg tools
Just to clarify, does the final version submitted to the contest have to be publish ready? I looked back at old entries from last year and it appears that it was at production quality. My concern is the art as I can't draw, illustrations cringe when I grab a pencil, so if I need to hire or kidnap an artist I need to know
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Falcon
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkP1981 wrote:
Do the rules need to fit inside? Also, how many cards / dice can fit into one of these, on average?

Thanks!
Cards are about 0.011-0.012" thick. I fit 60 in up to the bottom of the curled in top edge of an Altoids tin. That doesn't leave much room for instructions, so instructions may need to be on the cards.

15 standard D6 fit in the tin with room for maybe 10 cards (or folded instructions.

The trick of course is to get x dice + x cubes + x cards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we allowed to use a mint tin like this: http://www.instructables.com/id/bumpus-Giant-Altoids-Subway-...

That'd solve all (or most) of the component size issues...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gjjaros wrote:
Are we allowed to use a mint tin like this: http://www.instructables.com/id/bumpus-Giant-Altoids-Subway-...

That'd solve all (or most) of the component size issues...

I'd think youd still be held to the weight of 1.76 oz which I imagine would be more challenging
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marianne Waage
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I like printing a long strip of paper, the width of the tin, and accordion folding it, for mint tin instructions. Then you can either section that strip into 'pages' sideways, or have one looooong vertical column of text with section headers.

I suspect I don't have time to do my own mint tin game, but I might skulk and look for a contest entry I feel like doing art for. ninja Or if someone needs help once their game is more complete, send me a note.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Falcon
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
yamaraus wrote:
I might skulk and look for a contest entry I feel like doing art for. ninja Or if someone needs help once their game is more complete, send me a note.
To be fair Marianne, you should probably just do art for the first game entered into the contest.

Marianne was kind enough to do art for a previous game of mine, and I was blown away. So, if anyone is lucky enough to have Marianne pick you, you are in for a treat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Agreed Scott! Well put and very considerate offer Marianne. thumbsup

Quote:
Just to clarify, does the final version submitted to the contest have to be publish ready? I looked back at old entries from last year and it appears that it was at production quality. My concern is the art as I can't draw, illustrations cringe when I grab a pencil, so if I need to hire or kidnap an artist I need to know
Entries do not require art or any type of professional work but people should be able to print out your game and play. If you'd like, you can try to find some copyright free graphics or icons online, find someone to work with, or just use your own (which I love to see). Many publishers will use their own artwork anyways if you end up getting a game signed someday.

Contests like this are just a way to develop your skills as a designer, to meet people here, to help others with their designs, and to have fun! Great question though and hope to see you participate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Friff14 wrote:
You can have a very large rulebook on a USB stick or SD card, and that definitely fits in a mint tin.
Aha! I can put all my files on the USB and you print it and cut it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apollo God
Australia
Brisbane
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For some misguided reason I thought this contest had already finished this year.

Any way, I have an idea but I'm not sure if it is original for this contest or not (I've never entered the Mint Tin contest before) so thought I'd ask before going any further with it.

My idea is a dungeon crawl, I'm thinking 1-3 players called A-Maze-Mint. Players have a character race and class. several cards are used to build the dungeon (bit like a maze) they have to go down, level up, fight the boss and get out again before the dungeon collapses.

Thanks guys
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner Griffin
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Apollo1111 wrote:
Any way, I have an idea but I'm not sure if it is original for this contest or not (I've never entered the Mint Tin contest before) so thought I'd ask before going any further with it.

My idea is a dungeon crawl, I'm thinking 1-3 players called A-Maze-Mint. Players have a character race and class. several cards are used to build the dungeon (bit like a maze) they have to go down, level up, fight the boss and get out again before the dungeon collapses.
Well, dungeon crawls have been done, but I don't recall any in this contest. And even if there were, every game is different, and I'm sure yours would be unique enough that you shouldn't worry about whether you're original. And, the more games we have, the more games we get to play. Go for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Perry
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@ApolloGod: There was the matchbox contest earlier in the year, and there was a microgame contest, too. (Maybe they were the same?) Since both, I think, co-insided with the solitaire contest, I didn't pay either much attention (there's only so much one can follow in one's spare time)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agha Maulana
Indonesia
Kabupaten Malang
Jawa Timur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apollo1111 wrote:
For some misguided reason I thought this contest had already finished this year.

Thanks guys
Wow, I can imagine the game being so tight, and fun! More fun if I can somewhat interact with other player, either co-op or competitive way.

Go make it now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Attention Program -- You will receive an Identity Disc. Everything you do or learn will be imprinted on this disc. If you lose your disc, or fail to follow commands, you will be subject to immediate deresolution!
badge
Defender of the Grid! "I Fight for the Users!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Apollo1111 wrote:
A-Maze-Mint.
Best mint tin game name ever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have something that I just might enter... If time permits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

This is my first posting on BGG and my first game made from scratch. I have been playing with couple of ideas for several months now, but this one just fell into existence in about couple of days.

I am not professional designer, and I have done everything in Inkscape which I’m learning to work with as I go, even the rules were written and designed directly in it so that’s why they are version 0.1. (hope your eyes won’t bleed much)

It is completely playable at this moment, but changes to artwork and rules are definitely to be expected.
I hope you’ll have fun playing it and I’m looking forward to your feedback.

Pedja

wip thread
http://bit.ly/2cHnqIQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Going off on a slight tangent here - how long have the mint tin contests been running? Does anyone have a link to every one of them?
I just backed Mint Works on Kickstarter, and I love the idea of PnP small games. I run a small board game club at my high school, and PnP games of this size are perfect as end of the year gifts. This is my first year, but it would be awesome to be able to use a different game every year, so that students can try to complete a "set."
Thanks for running this and I look forward to playtesting now that I know it exists (plus I have a bunch of teenage guinea pigs to get feedback from...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Kenny
United Kingdom
Nr Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so I have the gem of an idea for my game Nut Collectors, which will hopefully be a dexterity based game for 2-4 players who are squirrels trying to collect nuts for the winter in competition to their rivals. My WIP thread is below and is alas only at the idea stage for now. I just bought a tin of mints from Amazon to make sure that my components will fit as well.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23708408#23708408
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyraziel wrote:
Apollo1111 wrote:
A-Maze-Mint.
Best mint tin game name ever!
Indeed. Anyone made a game about making money for this contest? I wanna call it "Minted"? That might be UK slang.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Falcon
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My second entry will be a road building game called Pavemint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Kenny
United Kingdom
Nr Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't realise that it was a competition to have the best mint puns. Clearly I'm going to lose horribly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] |