Popular Tags: [View All]
JK
New Zealand
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
SwampMonster wrote:
Going off on a slight tangent here - how long have the mint tin contests been running? Does anyone have a link to every one of them?
See Community PnP contests and winners
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I minterested to see what what comes of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gavken wrote:
I didn't realise that it was a competition to have the best mint puns. Clearly I'm going to lose horribly!
Altoid:Netrunner?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner Griffin
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb

Dice Bocce!

Components ready (because you probably already have everything you need to play!). Playtesting in progress. Wild fun for (from what I've tested) up to 8 players (although testing with more definitely needs to happen). Fast-paced dexterity.

Please comment on it and let me know what you think! I've loved this design so far and I'd love to hear what you have to say about it. I have a few rules that will need tweaking, and I want to know if it's good for a larger number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some possibly useful card sizes that I came up with when I was working on putting Forbidden Island into an Altoids tin.

I had gotten my hands on a whole box of no-longer-useable business cards and thought they would be great for making mint tin games.
You can fit about 60 business cards into a tin if you round the corners. My corner rounder does a 3/16" radius [4.76mm].
I was using two square cards glued face to face to make blank tiles. The off cuts became the cards for the game.

Hope this sparks some ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rayburn
United States
California
flag msg tools
Welcome to Felldown

Hey all! Here's my entry, sorry no Mint puns!
The fun hook:
You thought you were getting a fantastic deal on some property in the small town of Felldown; a quiet place near a nice forest and beautiful lake. To bad no one told you about the monsters that come out at night and create all sorts of trouble!

Simple short game where you try to keep your houses from being knocked over, dragged off, eaten and burped up, buried or vanishing mysteriously.
In fact if you can keep 4 of them standing up by the end of a round you win!
For 1 to 2 players.

Feel free to comment and critique, going to have some fun with this and can't wait to see what other people come up with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Perry
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ex1st wrote:
Tyraziel wrote:
Apollo1111 wrote:
A-Maze-Mint.
Best mint tin game name ever!
Indeed. Anyone made a game about making money for this contest? I wanna call it "Minted"? That might be UK slang.
Doubt it's UK only. I am from the States, but know what that means, especially with the US Mint being where our money is printed, etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Big thanks to the first 5 designers who joined! I've updated the Entry List and will do my best to maintain it on a [fairly] regular basis.

Please remember to check out the other games and to do your best in helping others with their designs. That's what this contest is all about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orren Mckay
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With all the talk of puns, I now want a game where you run competing candy companies trying to make more money than your opponent.

"Making a Mint"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apollo God
Australia
Brisbane
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

Thanks for the encouraging words, I have decided to go for it. The WIP for A-Maze-Mint is here.

As I am possibly the person who kicked off the puns I just want to say 1 thing. I'm not sorry! they are all awesome.

@ricodredd do it, sounds fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Kenny
United Kingdom
Nr Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
R4D6 several of the links to the competition entries on the front page are wrong and all point to the same game! There are a couple that are correct though.

My game Nut Collectors https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23717492#23717492 now has a version 1 component ready state and the first version of the rules are posted. Be warned I think there are several issues with this version that are posted in the WIP thread. I'm happy to get feedback and comments from people as this one was an early idea for a game which needs a bit of development.

I believe that the components will all fit in the tin, but I won't know till next week when my tin of mints shows up.

Gavin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Friff14 wrote:
kirkatronics wrote:
Am I allowed to use a game I already started?
If I can, I'm up for joining in.
Most contests we've done have had entries that were partially designed already. As long as you haven't put anything online about it before the start date (Sep 12), you're good!

Just to be doubly sure, if I enter a game that I've been working on for a few months now, albeit, on and off, with zero mention of it online or in any other social media network, would it still be eligible for the contest?

I know you said "As long as you haven't put anything online about it before the start date" but we're talking about months here, hence the concern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Welcome to the contest Apollo!

Good catch Gavin. thumbsup I have updated the list.

James - Great question. Yes - as long as the design hasn't been posted online prior to the start date, you can still enter it. Looking forward to seeing what you have come up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Kenny
United Kingdom
Nr Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am now going to declare Nut Collector component ready and ready for people to try out. I think there are still a number of issues to be addressed, but I think I've solved one of the key ones that I had on initial test.

Gavin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Random Order wrote:
Here are some possibly useful card sizes that I came up with when I was working on putting Forbidden Island into an Altoids tin.

I had gotten my hands on a whole box of no-longer-useable business cards and thought they would be great for making mint tin games.
You can fit about 60 business cards into a tin if you round the corners. My corner rounder does a 3/16" radius [4.76mm].
I was using two square cards glued face to face to make blank tiles. The off cuts became the cards for the game.

Hope this sparks some ideas.
Mint tin dimensions:

Top lid outer (not lip): 2.36" (59.9mm) x 3.75"(95mm)
Tin bottom: 2.3" (58.75mm) x 3.7"(93.9mm)
Inner: 2.24" (56.9mm) x 3.6"(91.5mm)
Height bottom section: 0.83" (21.28mm)
Height top section: "0.36 (9.26mm)
Corner radius .55" (14mm)

Thank you google.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Awesome! Count me in then. I'll start posting about my entry this weekend. I don't expect to win, but I am looking forward to what other people think about it. I'm keen on trying out the entries as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is helpful, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Centeotl
(SEN-tayo-tul)
idea phase

A resource-gathering card game for 3-4 players. Each player is an Aztec faction (monkey, snake, rabbit, or hawk harvesting, stealing, banking, and sacrificing different types of corn for victory points. This is done through simultaneous play where you try to counter what you think your opponents will do.

Concept card art for Hawk faction (I have to touch up color in photoshop since the Codex Borgia is faded)

I'll try to get something together but I'm not sure how often I'll be online towards the end of the contest.
(Wife is having our first baby in early December, so I assume I'll be preoccupied once that happens.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anybody have a mini card template (1.75x 2.5) MS Word or Excel they wouldn't mind sharing? Or possibly link me to a page where I can do this with drag and drop graphics...

My game will have about 50 cards, so I'd like to not recreate the wheel if I don't have to.

nvm, I recreated the wheel. If anybody else needs a quick xlsx mini-card template page, here's a LINK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orren Mckay
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a preferred/best format for posting print and play cards/rules/documents? If so, are there any templates available for mini-cards in this format?

Is it an issue if the color of the cards matters for game play? Is there a preferred/suggested method to handle this for people with only black and white printers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ricodredd wrote:
Is there a preferred/best format for posting print and play cards/rules/documents? If so, are there any templates available for mini-cards in this format?

Is it an issue if the color of the cards matters for game play? Is there a preferred/suggested method to handle this for people with only black and white printers?
I think it's fairly standard practice to give each colour a symbol for both colourblind people and those printing in grey-scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ricodredd wrote:
My personal experience is that blocks of dense color and/or solid black are simply too expensive to print, especially given that we are talking about prototypes. With respect to greyscale -- try it! Test print your color design in greyscale. Thanks for asking!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I bought a tin of Altoids for the first time in decades! Not to eat them all so I can fit components in the tin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Gerlach
United States
Watertown
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working on getting some thoughts together for an entry based on an idea that's been sitting in the back of my head for a while. Now, I finally have some thoughts about how to make it work. Not sure of a title yet, but it'll be something like "Tornado Chasers."
These components won't fit, but I will make some that do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Couch
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
James said he can fit 60 business cards into a tin. Any other experience to how many cards can fit in a tin?

I counted the Mint Works Kickstarter page and come up with 31 cards, but there are all the wooden counters too.

I'm at the moment planning 64 mini cards. I hope I can get them to sit side by side in two stacks of 32 each. Then with a enough space for 4 or so "full size" cards on top and then rules. If he box will take 60 cards total, I'm golden. Just trying to sketch it out in my head.

I need to go hunt this week and see if I can find mint tins here in Germany. I expect they exist, but I totally NEVER look for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] |