George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll throw my hat in the ring with CivMint (working title, subject to change - I'm considering DevelopMint, but not sure I like it).

[WIP] CivMint - Mint Tin Contest 2016 - CONTEST READY

CivMint
Civilization Building with a Tech Tree, in a Mint Tin

Cards (business card sized):
- 8 Development Tracks (2 cards per track, 4 tracks)
- 4 Civilization Aspect Cards (2 per player)
- 2 Resource Tracking Cards (1 per player)
- 6 Maps (double sided)
Other Components:
- 8 Development Tokens (4 per player)
- 10 Resource Tokens (5 per player)
- 8 Civilization Aspect Tokens (4 per player)
- 12-16 Unit Dice (6-8 per player) depending on what can fit in the tin
- 2 D6 for random events and battle.

CivMint will be a 2 player game (3-4 with a second set) that uses limited cards and components in order to fit inside an Altoids sized mint tin.

This will hopefully serve as a simple introduction to civilization building games with a branching tech tree. The game will be a combination of area control, resource management, and civilization development. There will be four development tracks: Religion, Government, Culture, and Technology. There will be five resources to manage: Wood, Stone, Metal, Food, and Money. Each civilization will have four aspects to manage: Military Might, Civilian Happiness, Economic Growth, and Population Size. There will also be seven types of units that players can build and use for various purposes, represented by D6 dice: Settlers, Villages, Cities, Infantry, Cavalry, Artillery, and Ships (identified the same as settlers, but on water spaces).

As a player researches different developments their civilizations will get different benefits. Depending on how a player chooses to develop their civilization they can focus on military, knowledge, or economic strategies.

The hope is that the game will be fast and simple to play, but offer a depth of strategy and a very simple, straight forward tech tree. Each of the four tracks (religion, political, culture, and technology) will only have two branches. Players will get the benefits of just the highest level development they have successfully researched in each track. The two branches of each track will have strategically opposite goals, e.g. Religion has endings in either Atheism or Monotheism, Political ends in either Communism or Democracy, Culture ends in either Education or Economics, and Technology ends in either Gunpowder or Scientific Reasoning. Some of the top level developments will have prerequisites from other tracks. Education will be a higher level than other top level developments, but it has more requirements. Each development will have thematic benefits and penalties throughout the rest of the game. (A few of the names in the tree may change.)

Units can be built and upgraded using resources that are gathered from the spaces on the maps. Points will be awarded based on combinations of developments researched, areas controlled, and resources obtained. There will be several end-game triggers, including reaching a certain number of advancements, conquering an opponent's capital city, or building a powerful economy.

I have the basic gameplay written out, and am currently working on applying benefits and abilities for the various developments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Kenny
United Kingdom
Nr Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my new mint tin today and thankfully all the components fit into it. I also did my first playtest, that those interested in can read about in my WIP thread here https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1638530/wip-nut-collect....

There will be some changes to the rules and component files tonight as a consequence; hopefully this will make it a better game! A photo of the game in progress is below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marianne Waage
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
...I might have run with someone's suggestion of "Pavemint". Trying to get the ideas down. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marianne Waage
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
As promised:
[WIP] Pavemint: A Refreshingly Different Grind - rather epic components now available! Come playtest!

A skateboarding game for 3-5 players, to prove their mettle in the abandoned mint factory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Falcon
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Falcon Master is now components ready.

[WIP] "Falcon Master" - A Submission to the 2016 Mint Tin Contest - Contest Ready

First draft components (50 business card size cards) are now ready. Just add about 20 cubes.

I'm sure there will be changes to balance the game, but the game is ready to play. Please give it a try and share your feedback.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Kenny
United Kingdom
Nr Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
WIP - Nut Collectors a Mint Tin Design

So I have just done my second full playtest through and things are starting to look much better in the game. There are still some improvements to be made. I have my tin now and components seem to fit without a problem.

There are a few things I want to work on (as I detail in my Design Blog in my WIP thread), but things are coming along. Below is a 2 player game in progress.

Would be good to hear comments and feedback in my WIP thread.

Gavin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Couch
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excited about this contest. Here is the beginning of my entry. Still very much in the design phase.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23779020[WIP] El Ca-mint-o (de Santiago) - Ideas phase

2 player game of monastery management. Choose cards for their set collection value, but also for actions such as brewing beer, healing sick, or walking the titular El Camino de Santiago.

Card backs have roads and placement spots for Camino tokens. You build the camino by discarding some of the set collection cards so don't know how many of the set collection cards are in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Welcome to the contest Andy! Thanks for joining us.

The entry list should be correct. Please let me know if I missed anything. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Myers
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my idea phase entry. Not sure if I like it with or without the pun.

"Master Assassin" or "Master Assasstin"?

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1643203/wip-master-assasst-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Since it seems like the sub-theme of this contest is about puns, here is

Gelatinous Cube Dice

Solo, low-ink, black and white, puzzle game.

A 60 second dungeon-crawler where you assume the form of a gelatinous cube.
It's component ready and hopeful this is up awesome playtesters' alleys.

Cheers-
MH

This spoiler is merely thematic flavor-text
Spoiler (click to reveal)
“…Iximl zephracoxia dissimilarity!” you chant raising your wand into the air. You can feel yourself changing; the polymorph spell worked. The doubt after mumbling through some of the more difficult words leaves you as the mystical metamorphosis takes effect. Those adepts back at the tower won’t laugh at you anymore. Now that you’ve finally mastered the spell you’ll be able to enter the foreboding dungeon known as The Miasma Helilx, negate the protection glyphs, extinguish all of the darkfire candles, and finally destroy the Miasma Boilers at the bottom of the dun… wait a second…

Your arms begin to turn green and translucent, and before you can think about it any further the transformation is complete. You are a gelatinous cube. You cannot see or hear anything, just taste and feel. Your mind is being assailed by the gibbering language of this ooze. You must stay sharp, you must focus, you must complete your quest before the brainless blob consumes you entirely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marianne Waage
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
A trial run of components for Pavemint. More pics in the thread. They will all fit in the tin! Now to get the components available for others to print, plus balancing and make sure the game is fun... ... I mean, of course, the game will be fun!

[WIP] Pavemint: A Refreshingly Different Grind - rather epic components now available! Come playtest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey,

Just wanted to give a huge thanks to
Mark Perry
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for the tip about altoids. It cost me only like $3.20 cdn.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janice Turner
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

This is my first entry into a BGG contest so here goes:

Spaceship Builders.

Spaceship Builders is a fast paced solo or 2 player cooperative puzzle card game with 2 difficulty modes.

Unfortunately no mints here either but hopefully that won't put me at a disadvantage!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Perry
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NP, Melbards!

Happy designing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies for the Potato-vision resolution. I'll upload a better one eventually (wi-fi issues??)

It all fits in the tin, and can be set up to play within two minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to throw my hat in the ring with 'The Amuse-Mint Park'

I'll post a WIP this evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just posted my entry:

[WIP] Garrison: A Solo Game (2016 Mint Tin Design Contest) - IDEA PHASE
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23818603#23818603

Garrison is a sci-fi-themed solo game where you are tasked to protect a city from threats that are forming around its borders. Utilize the abilities of your troops and civilian volunteers to build small but efficient strike teams to eliminate threats one by one before they lay siege to the city. Beware though, not only should you battle enemies outside the city gates, but traitors disloyal to your cause lurk in the shadows within as well. The odds are against you. Prepare for war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Did you have to round out the edges for the cards to fit?
And would you remember the thickness of the card stock you used? Just curios

I'm looking forward to try out your game this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Falcon
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We all had so much fun with the pun-ny mint tin names (A-Maze-Mint, PaveMint, etc.), how 'bout mint tin lid art?

I'll start:

For anyone who is not familiar with Altoids, here is a typical mint tin of theirs:

A blank tin to add to if you would like to join in the fun:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Great idea Scott!

Welcome to the contest all! It's great seeing some new faces. Thanks for joining us and I hope you have a great experience.

20 entries and counting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Falcon
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
R4D6 wrote:
Great idea Scott!

Welcome to the contest all! It's great seeing some new faces. Thanks for joining us and I hope you have a great experience.

20 entries and counting!
I did it for fun in last year's contest for my two entries. even printed one out on label paper exactly to size and put it on the tin. Here's my collection so far:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is purty, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finished eating my mints last night! (With some help of the friends at game night.) So now I just need to finish up with the components of CivMint and make sure they fit in the tin! Mmmmm... Wintergreen civilizations...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb