Fight for Olympus» Forums » General

Subject: Andromeda rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Nguyen
United States
California
flag msg tools
Am i missing something with this card? She's a wild color that costs two yellow, one green, and one red to summon. She has one attack with four defense but her ability is a continuous one that makes her take one damage when a unit is discarded. When units are defeated they are discarded, and when players play cards usually some units would also be discarded. The card also doesnt specify who discards cards so it'll take effect when any of the two players does this. I can't think of any reason to play this card as it'll expensive and dies so easily except to pay for another card or be a very very last resort type of thing to do. Is this just meant to be a discard card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brooks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Proud writer for iSlayTheDragon
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also wondered about this, was it a typo/unclear rule or just a really terrible card that you wouldn't really ever play. I tried to think of an edge case where she would be worth playing but I haven't come up with anything yet. I always spend her, as you pointed out at least she is a white card which is useful (and even more incentive to spend with).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Nguyen
United States
California
flag msg tools
Yeah, as it stands, its pretty much a useless card unless you use it to pay for another card. I'm thinking its a misprinted card and is supposed to deal a damage to another unit when a unit is discarded. You don't really discard that much to deal too much damage as most things have 3 health and its only 1 attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are other cards that give you opponents a benefit or are a detriment to you. It's a concept that you can play them if needed. They do block other cards, they do earn a bonus.

As for the discarding, the only time a card is actually discarded is when that card is defeated on the board. You pay cards to summon heroes, not discard them (even though they go into the same stack).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BC Wendel
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think she only takes damage when a unit is discarded because of damage. Then again, I was wrong about Nestor and Heracles, so I could be wrong again.

She is still pretty bad, though, no matter how she works. Four defense is good but if you attack the other player you could lose her quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Nguyen
United States
California
flag msg tools
Her stats are still bad compared to someone like Helen that has the same cost but better stats and ability. And the wording on the card is very broad, "Every time any unit is discarded, Andromeda takes 1 damage." In the rule book it indicates as using cards as payment also mean discarding them. She's also weak as a block since you could effectively kill her by killing off other units and discarding units as payment. but even then I don't think anyone would care enough to waste unit cards since her stats are weak. There are cards with the same payment that are way better than her. I get every card is unique and have their own perks, but she has really no perk. Like I said, maybe she is supposed to deal 1 damage per unit discarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Rice
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rollandtwo wrote:
Her stats are still bad compared to someone like Helen that has the same cost but better stats and ability. And the wording on the card is very broad, "Every time any unit is discarded, Andromeda takes 1 damage." In the rule book it indicates as using cards as payment also mean discarding them. She's also weak as a block since you could effectively kill her by killing off other units and discarding units as payment. but even then I don't think anyone would care enough to waste unit cards since her stats are weak. There are cards with the same payment that are way better than her. I get every card is unique and have their own perks, but she has really no perk. Like I said, maybe she is supposed to deal 1 damage per unit discarded.

This is a case I think where the fiction takes precedence over the mechanics. Andromeda is a tragic figure who is eventually rescued by Perseus. This is the entrance of the damsel in distress into the western canon.

You can use her as a short term blocker if needed but I think her best use mechanically is to discard her (she's a wild) to bring a stronger hero into play.

Which, again, fits if you know your mythology.

I do think I would rule she only takes damage when cards are discarded from play though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rollandtwo wrote:
In the rule book it indicates as using cards as payment also mean discarding them.

Yes, but it also says that cards are not considered to be units while in the hand, so at least Andromeda doesn't actually take damage from costs being paid.

My friend thinks that it is indeed a typo, and suggests a more fitting ability would be that when a unit is discarded she heals one damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played last night and both immediately saw how useless Andromeda is. There has to be something printed wrong here, because as it stands there isn't even an edge case where she would be worth the play. Sure she is a wild car for payment, but it seems odd to make a complete waste card just for that.

Iolaus suffers the same fate as a 1/3 that costs 3, and lets your opponent draw cards every time he attacks... no thanks.

It would be interesting to hear the designers reasoning, maybe I'm missing something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrusaderX wrote:
We played last night and both immediately saw how useless Andromeda is. There has to be something printed wrong here, because as it stands there isn't even an edge case where she would be worth the play. Sure she is a wild car for payment, but it seems odd to make a complete waste card just for that.

Iolaus suffers the same fate as a 1/3 that costs 3, and lets your opponent draw cards every time he attacks... no thanks.

It would be interesting to hear the designers reasoning, maybe I'm missing something.

Perhaps, having a card that can block or possibly remove an attacker is worth playing, even if the benefits are a negative?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brooks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Proud writer for iSlayTheDragon
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FunkyBlue wrote:
CrusaderX wrote:

Perhaps, having a card that can block or possibly remove an attacker is worth playing, even if the benefits are a negative?

I don't feel like this decision point works very well for more expensive (3+ cost) cards because you have to sacrifice so many cards just to block or kill something. That seems like a losing scenario. The momentum loss is almost certainly too great to justify it in any but extreme circumstances (in which case doing so will likely only delay the inevitable loss). Essentially, if playing Andromeda is your only option then you're probably about to lose making her effectively unplayable.

I do feel like that's a compelling decision for cheaper cards.

Example 1 - Do I put off playing my expensive cards in order to play a blocker now and sacrificing currency in the process? Or do I let an attack go through and get that big card in play sooner, hoping that it will swing momentum back?

Example 2 - Is it worth playing a card without using it's ability, such as healing, (effectively making it overpriced) for the board control? That's interesting because you have a choice, play now overpriced or save for later when you can use it for the full benefit. Having cards that are always overpriced doesn't seem interesting in comparison because it doesn't leave room for choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias C.
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, there are two cards that have the wrong values:

Andromeda: 1/4 instead of 2/7
Iolaos: 1/3 instead of 3/4
Both cards were designed to follow the yellow characteristic to have very good stats together with a negative ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ho-Chun Lin
msg tools
Sleeran wrote:

Both cards were designed to follow the yellow characteristic to have very good stats together with a negative ability.

Will some error correction for publish? 2nd Edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias C.
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It will be fixed in the next print run, as far as I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleeran wrote:

Any chance we could get paste-ups?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanno Girke
Germany
Berne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
hanibalicious wrote:
Sleeran wrote:

Any chance we could get paste-ups?

I'll check with Klemens. Else, a Sharpie will do fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Sleeran wrote:

Does Andromeda only take 1 damage when a card is discarded from play after taking damage or some other card ability removes them somehow? Or even when cards are discarded when buying cards and putting them in play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias C.
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just if a hero/soldier leaves play. Andromeda is not affected by discarding cards in order to buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Boles
United States
Decatur
Alabama
flag msg tools
Is there a "Forum Admin" who can move this thread to the Rules section of this forum? That is certainly where it belongs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.