$5.00
$20.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
169 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: [WIP] "Falcon Master" - A Submission to the 2016 Mint Tin Contest - Contest Ready rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

An entry in the 2016 Mint Tin Design Contest

Game Name: Falcon Master

Designer: Scott Allen

Overview:
Falcon Master is a solitaire game where the player starts as an apprentice falconer and works to become a master falconer. Player will need to balance developing his/her own skills, buying and selling goods, training a falcon, hunting, and attending tournaments.

# of Players: 1

Suggested Play Time: 10-30 minutes

List of Components:
Most likely, 24 cubes and about 50 business size cards

Picture of cards:

Partial Playthrough - rules have been updated since this video was made, but it at least gives you a feel for the mechanics of the game:

Link to Files (Rules & Components):
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B4GOwLLS7SEbRnFWQ2JB...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'd like to recognize some game from recent contests that have inspired me to create this game:

[WIP] Artisans - 2016 Solitaire PNP Contest [CONTEST READY]
A cool game about developing skills and crafting items.

I really like these card driven games, how they flow, the feel, no need for dice, etc.:
2016 Solitarie Game Design Contest Entry - The Thief in the Forest of Wyr (Contest Ready)

[WIP] "ADAMASTOR" - 2016 Solitaire PnP Contest Entry (Contest Ready)

[WIP] Down Periscope - 2016 solitare Pnp Contest (Contest ready)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] "Falcon Master" - A Submission to the 2016 Mint Tin Contest - Idea Phase
General idea for game:

Start with 10 gold, no mews (falcon house), no falcons, no skills.

Each turn, do 1 of 5 actions:
1) go to town to buy, barter, sell or learn a skill
2) stay home to use skill to train falcon or build falconry goods to sell
3) stay home to train falcon
4) go on hunt to gain experience
5) (every 7th turn), pay to go to tournament to gain experience, reputation, and/or gold.

4 cards will be dealt face up in "town". Each card will be multi-use (2 uses per card) including:
1) Different types of falcons to buy.
2) Different items to buy (larger mews, medicine, etc.).
3) Different skills to learn. Some skills, like Leatherwork will only require 1 Leatherwork card. Other skills will take 2 or even 3 skill cards before player can use that skill to make goods to sell, or or the skill to help his/her falcons.

As a falcon's skill increases, let's say to 7, player uses 7 cubes in a hunt and places those 7 cubes in 5, 10, 15, or 20 spots (depending on prey: doves, quail, pheasants, or ducks). So, those 7 cubes would probably lead to successful dove or quail hunts, less successful pheasant or duck hunts. But, of course, successful pheasant or duck hunts are worth more than dove or quail hunts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] "Falcon Master" - A Submission to the 2016 Mint Tin Contest - Idea Phase
really interesting theme
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
really interesting theme

Thanks Todd. Hopefully, I can bring it to life.

I am not a falconer, but have always been intrigued by falconry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
i like the skills progression and the ramping up of cubes as you increase in experience
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
i like the skills progression and the ramping up of cubes as you increase in experience

Thanks.

I want to figure out how to have sort of dual bonuses also - you gain more reputation if your falcons get 2 doves and 2 quails versus 4 doves or 4 quail (if that makes sense), and even more if they get 2 doves + 2 quail + 2 pheasants,...

It may be a challenge to fit all that on mint tin size cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
time for a nomograph perhaps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I googled "board game nomographs" and found some really cool ones (most by Todd Sanders). That might be a great design challenge for me for this game.

Thanks again Todd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
really interesting theme

I second that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joaquin Lowe
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Love this theme. I'm a huge fan of T.H. White's The Goshawk and Helen MacDonald's H is for Hawk. Can't wait to see what you come up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marianne Waage
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Nomographs. My mind has officially been boggled. Skulking for later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
really interesting theme

I agree. Do you want to incorporate something around what the falcon wants/feels ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Backstabbing AND Cube Pushing
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed!

Scott, I recently attended a falconry overview and day trek with several hawks and falcons, as well as a Steppe Eagle, Great Horned Owl, and Eurasian Eagle Owl. It was riveting. The life-long Falconer referred to it as "The Sport of Kings."

courtjus wrote:
dumarest123 wrote:
really interesting theme

I agree. Do you want to incorporate something around what the falcon wants/feels ?

In the brief hours I spent in the aforementioned falconry lesson, it was made abundantly clear that the relationship between Falconer and bird is one of bait-and-switch trust. The bird is kept just hungry enough to want to hunt, and the Falconer relies on the bird's base hunger to make a kill and return it, at which point the Falconer tosses out reward food to distract the bird and then pocket the kill in a game bag. Utterly fascinating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
courtjus wrote:
Do you want to incorporate something around what the falcon wants/feels ?

My original thought was to have 3 separate tracks for each falcon for their skill, health, and experience, but that would have been too cumbersome. So as the game idea stands now, each falcon will have 1 combined track for their "skill, health & experience" - I need to figure out what to call that single track, I'll just call it 'hunt points' for now.

A Peregrine will have a higher starting hunt point value than a Sparrow Hawk. Training your falcon will increase its hunt points by 1. Successful hunts will increase the falcon's hunt points. Injury or disease will reduce the hunt points.

I hadn't thought about what the falcon wants/feels. What are your ideas? And, could it fit in the mint tin along with everything else?

Here is what I am thinking for hunt types:
Duck will be the most rewarded
Pheasant next highest
Quail next
Dove lowest

There will be 5 types of falcons to choose from:
Gyr - most expensive, highest starting 'hunt points'
Peregrine
Goshawk
Merlin
Sparrow Hawk

Merlin and Sparrow Hawk are cheapest, but they can only hunt doves and quail.

I've got the first draft of the rules about 60% complete. I will try to publish them tonight since I will be out of town for the weekend.

Thanks all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marianne Waage
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Love the art piece used on the instructions. I think it'd be fun to do the art, based on that style. Though I'm not a huge solitaire gamer. If you'd like. I probably can't iterate changes very quickly though, so the placeholders might be wise until a solid baseline is figured. I'll stop waffling now, I'm a bit tired.

I gather, from the way the wings in the slots work, matching with the cubes, that the wounds are also specific to the side of the card lined up. Correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The art is from Ivan Bilibin (made famous to us geeks - or at least me - by Todd Sanders' Wanderer in the Forest of Wyr game).

Thank you very much Marianne. I certainly won't say to no to your offer, but just so you know, space will be limited.

The 36 item cards will be business card size (2" x 3.5") or maybe slightly thinner so I can fit some cubes in the tin with them too. Each item card will contain 2 items. So, each item will have 2" x 1.75" of real estate.

For the falcon items, I am thinking of wrapping the health (or 'hunt points') around the perimeter of the card half. So... like I said, space will be tight. How's that for an artistic challenge?

What may be a fun first step is card backs. I'm thinking of something feather patterned, maybe one style or color for the Item deck, and a different color for the hunt resolution deck?

If you are interested, let me know how you'd like to move forward - I could geekmail you my sketches and ideas, or whatever.

Thanks again.

As for your question about wounds, not sure I completely understand. Do you mean is the wound icon specific to that side of the hunt card? Answer is yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Annowme wrote:
Subscribed!

Scott, I recently attended a falconry overview and day trek with several hawks and falcons, as well as a Steppe Eagle, Great Horned Owl, and Eurasian Eagle Owl. It was riveting. The life-long Falconer referred to it as "The Sport of Kings."

In the brief hours I spent in the aforementioned falconry lesson, it was made abundantly clear that the relationship between Falconer and bird is one of bait-and-switch trust. The bird is kept just hungry enough to want to hunt, and the Falconer relies on the bird's base hunger to make a kill and return it, at which point the Falconer tosses out reward food to distract the bird and then pocket the kill in a game bag. Utterly fascinating.

Very cool. I read a long article that described the relationship similarly - sort of a mutually beneficial partnership. The falcon is safe and healthy in captivity (compared to life in the wild), but is free to disappear anytime it takes flight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the layout of the game, going from the 2 letter size pages that was my original idea, to mint tin size cards.

Collected item cards (falcons, mews, skills, other items) will be placed face up between the tracking cards and the player.

Item deck starts with 36 2 item cards: 24 various falcons, 24 various items, 24 various skills (5 different skills, multiples of each).

The 4 face up cards are what is available in town to buy/obtain.

The lower left card is the time/turn tracking card. right now, I am planning on 18 turns per game.

The lower center card is the falconer (player) tracking card for Gold and Reputation.

The lower right card is the hunt card - where hunts and tournaments take place.

The "Hunt Resolution Deck" is used to determine results of the hunts and tournaments.

It is all looking good "on paper", but I need to playtest it more. The details may of course change as playtests progress.

I'll be away this weekend but will try to get the cards done early next week.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Cool concept Scott! Looking forward to trying it out. Just downloaded the rules. Is 0.2 the latest version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marianne Waage
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks Scott, that answered my question.

Mint tin size is my favorite size. I'll PM you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mosbaugh
United States
san leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Brilliant mechanic for such a small game... I'm seeing a couple minor mods that would make a killer foundation for a mint tin fantasy adventure game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have any PnP components up? I didn't see any in the links you have and I am not confident enough in my reading comprehension skills to free hand them for myself. Would love to try this out though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not yet. I am hoping to have a first draft of components done by the end of tomorrow night, or at least sometime this week.

I only have hand drawn cards now. Mechanically, the game works. I'm sure I'll need to tweak the game balance some.

So, please hang in there for another night or three and hopefully components will be available soon.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Still don't have components ready, sorry. Will keep working on it. Here is a sneak peak at my first, very rough, basic attempt at some cards:

Each Item card will have 2 items for the player to choose from.

The falcon half of the cards will have a built in scoring track for the "hunt points" and indicators for when the falcon can hunt dove, Quail, Pheasant, and Duck, and the purchase cost. The double square in the hunt point track is the starting hunt points for that falcon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Got all the cards done tonight...almost.

Need to add 1 thing to the falcon cards, ans add cut lines, but here is what they look like:

EDIT: Cards and rules have been posted in the Google Drive link in the original post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.