16 Posts

Formula D» Forums » General

Subject: Best maps? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CJ Roy
Canada
flag msg tools
I was looking into buying some more maps (own the base game and New Jersey/Sotchi) and was curious as to what the best maps are? Anyone have some input (maybe with an explanation why)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manu
China
flag msg tools
mbmb
My favorite happens to be an unofficial map: Rouen-Les Essart. It is available in the files section. lots of variety in that map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Whitpan
United States
Schwenksville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for current maps I really like India. Fast, some long straights to get some d30 rolls and some tough sequences.

For older, I love Portugal... Brutal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I like the Austin track. But then I might be a little biased! whistle
Here: Formula D: Circuits 6 – Austin & Nevada Ride

Cool Stuff has a few copies in stock.

Being from Canada, you might be interested in: Formula Dé Circuits 13 & 14: Montreal & Long Beach
That chicane just before the finish straight may help to slow down a runway leader. But I have no clue how easy/hard it may be to find!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like The Docks (expansion 3)... it's unique, fast, and with several different ways to run it.

I also like Nevada (expansion 6) just because I think it is the best looking map by far... it's a fun course too, but I think it looks so good that it's more fun to play and seems to attract the most on-lookers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Depends on the kind of race you are looking for and what you mean by "best"... as each circuit plays out a little different.

Out of the current crop of circuits available from Asmodée I really like : Baltimore is a fun street circuit. Austin is a very nice recreation (if a bit compact) of the Circuit of Americas! Nevada is a pretty unique and fun fantasy track.

Of the older circuit expansions:

Spa de-Francorchamps, Zeltweg(RedBull Ring), Long Beach and Magny-Cours are my favorites.

You can't go too wrong on picking up one of the 2 old USA Map Packs because they came with 4 tracks in each pack. And usually covere the gamut of circuit types from Ovals to arena style to windy road courses.

~Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
#2 HockenheimRing and Valencia seems to be on eof the most popular packs out there for the new game. Sadly, because of that, it is also one of the hardest ones to find most of the time. I think itis because it has two solid road courses on it where most (if not all) of the other tracks have one street and one circuit on them. there are a lot of Formula De purists who aren't fans of the street racing maps and mechanics, so having a map that has dual circuits on it has always been a big deal.

there are a ton of the old maps from the classic game that are good. Most of them require you to go through all the trouble of print and play though as actually buying them these days can cost some crazy amounts of money. Hopefully those tracks will eventually all get cycled into the new version (or at least the majority of them). I'd love a modern version of Watkins Glen, being a local) and still shocked that we haven't gotten a new Laguna Seca.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Haas
United States
Lenexa
KS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I like the rocky shores test track because it is so small but still detailed. A handful of players can actually play 3 laps in under an hour.

I love this game but it is so time consuming. Definitely would benefit from some kind of simultaneous play rules.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/45260/rocky-shores-track-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Spas
United States
Rescue
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO (You mileage may vary):
Current Track Packs: Expansion 3: Singapore & The Docks

Formula De Track Packs:
For New Players: № 9 – PORTUGAL – Estoril& № 10 – BRASIL – Interlagos -- Good straights, and not too hard. Really great for new players!
For Experienced Players: Pack FD-11 № 23 – MONTERREY – California, № 24 – PORTLAND – Oregon, № 25 – ELKHART-LAKE – Wisconsin, № 26 – INDIANAPOLIS – Indiana. I found that Monterrey is a really technical track. I love it. Plus this is a four track pack, so there is a ton of variety there.

For fan made tracks: I cannot get enough of either Sparrow Island (Fake track but an INSANE amount of fun, and a pit half way through the short track -- you are going to need it!), or the Top Gear track.

As I said, your mileage may vary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
leifericson wrote:

I love this game but it is so time consuming. Definitely would benefit from some kind of simultaneous play rules.

We play it as close to simultaneous as possible. Each player gets a d20 and a d20 speed chart, players simultaneously declare their gear, roll simultaneously, and then as quickly as possible move their cars in turn from front to back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kosak
Croatia
Petrinja
Sisacko moslavacka zupanija
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
leifericson wrote:

We play it as close to simultaneous as possible. Each player gets a d20 and a d20 speed chart, players simultaneously declare their gear, roll simultaneously, and then as quickly as possible move their cars in turn from front to back.

Is there somewhere rules for this version of play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sadistiko wrote:
Ryan Keane wrote:
leifericson wrote:

Is there somewhere rules for this version of play?

Here's the file for the d20 charts, although you can make your own.
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/60530/naugils-d20-gearlis...

The changes to the standard rules are simply what I summarized above:
1. All players simultaneously select their gear at the same time, following the normal rules for gear selection, and track it on their player board.

2. All players simultaneously roll their own d20, and reference the d20 chart for their selected gear to determine the number of spaces they move.

(Here is where you can follow the standard rules for car damage when players roll too high in the high gears. The d20 chart has more than just the max 20 triggering a damage roll. We play a simplified version of this where only the player that rolled in the red zone takes damage but it is automatic. No additional rolls required.)

3. As normal, starting with the player in the front, each player moves their car the full number of spaces per the d20 chart, unless blocked, requiring brakes for the spaces not able to move.

4. Choose to apply slipstreaming if applicable, roll for collision if applicable, take damage for overshooting, etc. etc.

In addition to speeding up the game, one big benefit is that players can easily see the range and relative probability of numbers for each gear. Also, you can easily tweak the d20 charts as you want, depending on whether you want the game more or less luck-dependent or how much overlap, if any, you want in the gear ranges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f homess

Portland
Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best tracks depend on what you want to get out of them. Some tracks allow you to play a lot in the higher gears, while other make it just about impossible to ever hit 6th gear.

Personally, I find Singapore/The Docks to be too long to hit the table regularly and so it's my least favorite of the current expansions. I like Sochi a lot because there are some interesting gambles you can take to catch up from a long way back. Valencia is a great track for keeping things close, as the large number of multiple stop corners prevent the front runners from easily taking off ahead of others. Even if they're a turn or two ahead, it doesn't feel like it. Sebring has some areas where if you hit the 1 stop corners just right, you can run right through them in 5th and 6th gear. If you miss, you're down to 4th or even 3rd, so that can either be fun or frustrating. Generally speaking, I'd say to look at what interests you and pick from there. They all have things to recommend them.

On a side note, I have been using Portland (#24) as my track of choice for teaching the game. It's a short track with 1, 2, and 3 stop corners. In addition, you can almost certainly get into 6th gear on the back straight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sebastien ferey
France
flag msg tools
Glad to see you appreciate my work Manu
maybe if see many comments like this one I will start drawing again
I was thinking about creating various pieces for a modular FD track

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manu
China
flag msg tools
mbmb
Je suis normand alors forcement c'est un avis tres subjectif.

If you do a modular FD track, it would be so awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manu
China
flag msg tools
mbmb
Je suis normand donc c'est tres subjectif bien sur ahahah

If you do a modular track, it will be awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.