Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonas Björklund
Sweden
Lerum
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I drew Monterey Jack to be my investigator in the last game we played, but I didn't get how his ability really works.
It says on the card:

Any Phase: Whenever Monterey draws on or more cards from the Unique Item deck, he draws one extra card and then discards one of the cards.

I wonder how this works?
If he is in the Curiositie Shoppe he should normaly draw three cards, but now because of his ability draws four cards.
It says that he should return one card?
So does this mean that he can keep the other three cards if he can pay for them?

Or have I misunderstood completely

//Jonas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
When it says return one card, it means return an extra card. So usually you'll draw three and return two. He'll draw four and return 3.

He can also use his power to draw two and return one if he has an encounter that tells him to get a Unique Item.

I find it odd that you might ask about him but not about the salesman, the student, or the magician. Are you having problems with them, because they work the exact same way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Björklund
Sweden
Lerum
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:
When it says return one card, it means return an extra card. So usually you'll draw three and return two. He'll draw four and return 3.

He can also use his power to draw two and return one if he has an encounter that tells him to get a Unique Item.

I find it odd that you might ask about him but not about the salesman, the student, or the magician. Are you having problems with them, because they work the exact same way.

I thought it was enough just to ask about one specific investigator as there are more that has the same ability.
I should have asked in a more generic term

Thanks for clearing it out. When I read your response it seems obvious that it should work as you say.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But be aware! If you're participating in the Estate Fair mythos environment card (draw 2 unique items; purchase one, none, or both), he draws three instead of two cards, but can't buy more than two!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Wareing
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
But be aware! If you're participating in the Estate Fair mythos environment card (draw 2 unique items; purchase one, none, or both), he draws three instead of two cards, but can't buy more than two!

If you follow the card literally, then this is self-evident: you draw 2 unique items, then draw a bonus third one. Of the three, you discard 1, and then deal with the other two normally (buying none, one or both of them).

Similarly, when you're shopping at the Curiousity Shop, what you really do is draw three cards; draw a bonus fourth card; discard one of the four cards, and then decide which of the remaining three to buy.

Note that characters who get multiple objects in their starting kit draw them as one single draw. So the Student, for example, draws three skills and discards one, rather than drawing two and discarding one, and then drawing another two and discarding one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Björklund
Sweden
Lerum
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good explanations.
Make the situation so much clearer.

Thanks

//Jonas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.