Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Haddon
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some advice for those of you wanting to paint any of the new high-detail resin miniatures. FFP sends a note on how to clean off the release agent with each of the new resins, recommending either a bath in either warm soapy water or vinegar.

Being too lazy to head up to the kitchen for vinegar, I opted for the warm soapy soak (at least an hour) and then a toothbrush scrub. I primed them with Army Painter rattle can primers, which are expensive and quite good. That stuff flaked right off, just with a slight touch, no scratching required. Yikes!

When I got the Void Magus resin mini, I went the vinegar route and primed with black StynlRez, which is a very tough primer. This has proved to be a vastly superior process!

I do worry about these new resins. They look great but seem very fragile. I love the Void Magus sculpt, but I doubt that staff will survive long. They also tend to have surface voids where tiny bubbles were present in the liquid resin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wrigley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
No one ever seems to mention 409. 409 will eat through oils, fats, grease, etc like pacman through a row of dots; and its super-safe n any other surface. If i have a problem with minis, I usually just spritz it, wipe it off,and give it a minuet or five to dry. Works great and is never a problem, save that it will dry out your hands if you do too many in a row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same problem with the Vallejo Primer. So used "Liquid Surface White Primer 40ml Bottle Tamiya" which I found on Amazon. This works. You can still scratch it off but it won't flake off. Just be aware its thick and dries very quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used a spray primer from the game store and they all painted up very well after. The only resin minis I had some trouble with even after that were the ones that come with AVP (Aliens vs. Predator). The aliens needed several coats of paint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robwrigley wrote:
No one ever seems to mention 409. 409 will eat through oils, fats, grease, etc like pacman through a row of dots; and its super-safe n any other surface. If i have a problem with minis, I usually just spritz it, wipe it off,and give it a minuet or five to dry. Works great and is never a problem, save that it will dry out your hands if you do too many in a row.

First I've ever heard of this. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wrigley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Its called Formula 409. I'm not sure if the sell it in Canada, but there's got to be a degreaser you can buy retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Lewis
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
If you can't find 409, see if you can find Simple Green. A dab of that with some dish soap for an overnight soak, then a hand primer with Liqutex Gesso, and I didn't have any problems with the resins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robwrigley wrote:
Its called Formula 409. I'm not sure if the sell it in Canada, but there's got to be a degreaser you can buy retail.

Well I can't find it in Canada except for amazon.ca... unfortunately it's $10 plus another $10 for shipping. Seems pretty steep to me.

I'll see if I can find a comparable product available in Canada and post back here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. C.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently purchased a resin base for my Flesh stalker along with the usual washing disclaimer it came with a recommendation I hadn't seen before.

It recommends using a car body primer as some model primers don't have the required solvent strength to adhere to resin properly.This may explain why I didn't have an issue with my 1.5 resins ( only washed them in warm soapy water ) as I do as a result of a reasonably priced supply use a car body primer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wrigley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
This thread is reminding me of why I basically hate resin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robwrigley wrote:
This thread is reminding me of why I basically hate resin.

I agree with you. They are horrid to clean up & glue. And finding a primer that sticks is annoying. But you are gaining a far more detailed miniature.

Just compare. First image is original plastic, second image is resin. After I finally got a few painted I was very impressed. I had terrible trouble figuring out what was what on the core plastic heroes since the details were so mushy. But the nice details and cuts actually made painting the resin heroes easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wrigley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Those are nice, but for the price I'd rather have metal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Blaha
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
What a Terrible Night to Have a Curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
I had the same problem with the Vallejo Primer. So used "Liquid Surface White Primer 40ml Bottle Tamiya" which I found on Amazon. This works. You can still scratch it off but it won't flake off. Just be aware its thick and dries very quickly.

What did you thin this with, if at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
razor367 wrote:
ScottE wrote:

What did you thin this with, if at all?

I didn't thin it at all. Though once it dried it seemed to not be too thick and screw up the details. The second image above of the Orphan/Drifter/Outlaw used this primer and the details were fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Taymia can be very thick as it's designed to cover up flaws in ETRL style models. Fresh out of the bottle Taymia primer is thin and great for miniatures, but over time it does get thick and will obscure miniature details. When that happens I cut the Taymia primer with a little bit of paint thinner. I've painted miniatures from Flying Frog and Eagle/Gryphon with this technique and the primer worked just fine, although it was a little smelly until the figure was painted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I used to feel the same way, but there are some exceptions to the rule:

1.) The recent run of Reaper Bones are pretty detailed and are very good compared to the same metal figures.

2.) Hasselfree Miniatures Resin prototypes are really nice and often better than the metal figures, but they do cost twice as much; plus the metal figures sometimes get tweaks post-resin prototyping.

3.) I remember the relative hardness of materials from chemistry class so metal figures jostling up against plastic or resin figures can create some gnarly scratches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Autoduelist wrote:
Taymia can be very thick as it's designed to cover up flaws in ETRL style models. Fresh out of the bottle Taymia primer is thin and great for miniatures, but over time it does get thick and will obscure miniature details. When that happens I cut the Taymia primer with a little bit of paint thinner. I've painted miniatures from Flying Frog and Eagle/Gryphon with this technique and the primer worked just fine, although it was a little smelly until the figure was painted.

Yeah, the fumes from the Tamiya primer are very strong, you must do it outside or in a garage. Not only will it make you light headed but stink up the house without proper ventilation.

I do have some paint thinner for cleaning the brush so good to know that works fine for thinning it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wrigley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Autoduelist wrote:

1.) The recent run of Reaper Bones are pretty detailed and are very good compared to the same metal figures.

2.) Hasselfree Miniatures Resin prototypes are really nice and often better than the metal figures, but they do cost twice as much; plus the metal figures sometimes get tweaks post-resin prototyping.

3.) I remember the relative hardness of materials from chemistry class so metal figures jostling up against plastic or resin figures can create some gnarly scratches.

I'm a big Reaper fanboy, and dig the Bones stuff. The material is a bit odd, but you can't beat the price, especially in large sized minis.

My biggest predjudice against resin is that it tends to cost more than metal. This strikes me as very, very odd. It's still just plastic. Maybe I'm just old. I still boxes of lead minis. I blame it, like I blame many of my failings, on Games Workshop. It was exactly the moment they switched from white metal to resin, and charged more for them, that I permanently checked out of all things Warhammer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.P. Kraul
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
robwrigley wrote:
Autoduelist wrote:

I'm a big Reaper fanboy, and dig the Bones stuff. The material is a bit odd, but you can't beat the price, especially in large sized minis.

My biggest predjudice against resin is that it tends to cost more than metal. This strikes me as very, very odd. It's still just plastic. Maybe I'm just old. I still boxes of lead minis. I blame it, like I blame many of my failings, on Games Workshop. It was exactly the moment they switched from white metal to resin, and charged more for them, that I permanently checked out of all things Warhammer.

GW are some strange birds. As I ponder some of their business decisions, I'm almost inclined to believe they're trying to self-destruct--that or they're employing George Costanza's "do the opposite" strategy. GW somewhat reminds me of the Commodore computers, who had one hell of a product, the Amiga, but no no clue how to market or sell it.

To get back on topic, though, I look forward (though with some trepidation) to building some resin minis. I've ordered a new saloon girl and rancher (both of those plastic models suck) as well as the female gunslinger, female scout, orphan, and prospector. Unfortunately, I couldn't replace my preacher or scout (neither available on the FFP store).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Haddon
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'll try 409 nxt time. I did use Simple Green, but only to help take off the weakly adhereing primer. Unfortunately, the primer stuck well to many parts, so I'm usuing a dental pick to scratch away thick areas. What a mess. Any way, I didnt know Simple Green was also good for release agent.

The new resins are fun to paint though! It's nice not having mushy details. Just finished my Void Magus, I think it turned out well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friedmutant wrote:
I'll try 409 nxt time. I did use Simple Green, but only to help take off the weakly adhereing primer. Unfortunately, the primer stuck well to many parts, so I'm usuing a dental pick to scratch away thick areas. What a mess. Any way, I didnt know Simple Green was also good for release agent.

The new resins are fun to paint though! It's nice not having mushy details. Just finished my Void Magus, I think it turned out well.

I agree, once you get them glued/primed they are a dream to paint. Please post a pic of your Void Magus, would love to see it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Llewellyn
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friedmutant wrote:

Please post some pics.....we all need pics...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Haddon
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
knightstalker30 wrote:
Friedmutant wrote:

Sorry for the bad lighting. And please forgive the boring base job I did.

I have a better pic with better lighting, but I can't upload until iCloud decides to sync my stuff (and the network at work blocks that :/ ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friedmutant wrote:
knightstalker30 wrote:
Friedmutant wrote:

Sorry for the bad lighting. And please forgive the boring base job I did.

I have a better pic with better lighting, but I can't upload until iCloud decides to sync my stuff (and the network at work blocks that :/ ).

Looks great! Thanks for posting. I think once I get the heroes done I'll do the void guys first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
robwrigley wrote:

Eight bucks apiece. Yeesh.

Here's hoping FFP will be selling the entire set at a better price, but I'm otherwise going to paint up some Western miniatures from miniature companies. Extra miniatures are fine, since I read that you can play with more than one character of the same class. I posted in another thread where you can get metal (and resin) western figures that closely match the character classes in another thread. Reaper sells Bones plastic that have better detail than the SoB plastics. The current Black Gulch KS has some metal and resin mini's that can be used in SoB. Black Scorpion will have a KS later this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.