12 Posts

Mint Works» Forums » Reviews

Subject: The one small game I always keep within reach rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexis Gutierrez
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mint Works is an excellent, little, worker placement game that's very easy to pick up both figuratively and literally. The rules are simple, yet really scratch that gamer itch unlike some other pocket sized games which lack enough gameplay to feel like a full fledged game. I've played this with many different non-gamers, and they all caught on quickly and loved it. It is now my go-to game when teaching worker placement to noobs.... ahem... I mean, non-gamers.

The only thing I would have liked to see different is for the theme to gel more throughout the locations. I get what they were trying to achieve here, but I would have liked to see the locations be more 'mint' themed... They are definitely more "worker" themed, as the locations are things like a factory, mine, workshop... It just all comes in a mint tin, and I sort of expected it to be more mint/candy themed... but that's a really small detail.

Other games, like the stick-o-game series, try to do what Mint Works actually achieves - and that's to give you a big box game feel in a pocket sized container. In magician terms: Mint Works packs small and plays big. This is a game I tend to bring with me all the time, ready to bring to the table when having coffee with friends or waiting for dinner to arrive at a restaurant. Most of my small sized games go into a large bin, out of sight, until I feel like digging through it. Mint Works stays on the table or always within reach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent C
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Great review, I am counting down the days till it ships over!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan
Russia
Ekaterinburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review!

I plan to translate Mint Works in Russian and craft it to play with my family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agltbialik wrote:
Mint Works is an excellent, little, worker placement game that's very easy to pick up both figuratively and literally.

Now that my KS copies have arrived, I would add "...but dumping it out of the tin is another matter."

Poor design led to contents too large for the tin. Booklets are smashed in there, and I have yet to get my cards out of the tin. They are wedged solidly under the tin edge. Not the relaxing, quick-to-play experience I was anticipating...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blackwell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shake

Bummer. Less excited to receive mine now.

Is this everyone's experience?

M B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mudshark_baby wrote:
shake

Bummer. Less excited to receive mine now.

M B

It is a tight fit, but I didn't have any issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Wisconsin Rapids
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
japester1 wrote:

Now that my KS copies have arrived, I would add "...but dumping it out of the tin is another matter."

Poor design led to contents too large for the tin. Booklets are smashed in there, and I have yet to get my cards out of the tin. They are wedged solidly under the tin edge. Not the relaxing, quick-to-play experience I was anticipating...

Round your corners with a scissors, or if you've got one, use a corner rounder like the ones wargamers use to round their cardboard chits.

It doesn't take much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fastattaq wrote:

It doesn't take much.

Unless simply getting them out of the tin in the first place is a major project, which it was in my case. I agree, cutting the corners on both the instructions and the reference card are a must. I'll have to use scissors since I don't own a rounding tool. But I must've had one of the worse ones because it was touch and go not ripping them getting out on the first place.

mudshark_baby wrote:

Judging by the KS comments, the majority of people are reporting on the tight fit and booklet corners being crunched at the factory. My experience with the card deck may be unique. With some effort, I eventually got them out. One corner of the top few were dinged from being wedged in there, but those cards aren't part of the draw deck, so it's acceptable. Once I sliced the shrinkwrap, the cards came out. It's still too tight, but at least I won't have to bend them to remove them in the future. Basically, if there were no curled lip to the bottom tin, the cards would fit just fine. But that lip must have some variance, and on some it extends over the cards. One might be able to carefully squeeze the wider sections, but that will likely deface the outside and might prevent the tin from closing properly.

I mainly mention it in case anyone else bought extras to give to non-gamer friends. I'm always trying to lure in new players. But I know most of them would destroy the booklet and probably damage the cards if the other two are like the first one I opened. So now I'll open them all and prep them ahead of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AG Palmer
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
japester1 wrote:
agltbialik wrote:
Mint Works is an excellent, little, worker placement game that's very easy to pick up both figuratively and literally.

Am I the only one who loves this? It only requires a two-second jiggle to get it out, but it makes me feel so comfortable and relaxed about bringing this game places, knowing that if the lid gets flicked open, it won't result in mints flying everywhere, me losing one, and Rachael becoming a broken AI. It'll just result in the rulebook comfily holding it all in and me calmly closing it again.
The components being tightly packed also means it doesn't slam the components around when you walk and dent all the cards, like some game boxes do.
I love this design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blackwell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, my copy arrived in good nick.

I don't mind if the rule booklet is a little curled on the corners.

One of my mints were a little crooked, but hey, they are just counters so no big deal.

M B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My mints all look slightly dinged, like REAL mints!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delith Malistar
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
japester1 wrote:
agltbialik wrote:

I made a simple video showing how I get the cards out. Takes seconds. I too was frustrated with how tight everything was but once I did this, well heck, I think I found a life hack! The video is still under review and should be up shortly in the instructional video section of Mint Works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.