$15.00
$20.00
$5.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Flash Point: Fire Rescue» Forums » Rules

Subject: Placing smoke next to fire? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hi everyone,

while playing both family and advance rules, during "spread fire" phase - if target square is empty but adjacent to fire square - should I put there fire or smoke token? I believe it should be FIRE cause that's what is written in family rules about it and nothing new is added in advanced rules, but in this thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1577014/why-even-place-smoke... I seemed to be in minority with such point of view - others believe you should put SMOKE, and change it into fire only as flashovers AFTER resolving explosions

Can someone with more expierience and knowledge please clarify that for me ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Johnson
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It can make a difference if there's a hotspot there: if you roll the same spot again while resolving the hotspot, you'll just turn the smoke to fire. If you had placed fire straight away, you'd get an explosion.

If you didn't roll a hotspot, the flashovers happen immediately after you place the smoke, so you may as well just place fire.


EDIT: This seems to be wrong, sorry!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
robinjohnson wrote:
It can make a difference if there's a hotspot there: if you roll the same spot again while resolving the hotspot, you'll just turn the smoke to fire. If you had placed fire straight away, you'd get an explosion.

If you didn't roll a hotspot, the flashovers happen immediately after you place the smoke, so you may as well just place fire.


yes I know that hotspots make all the difference
that's why I'm asking how to play it properly - so what's your opinion? should you place fire or smoke (when it matters)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoke. It's more consistent.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Haviland
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the English rules, page 5, it clearly says to place smoke markers in the Target Space first and then to check for one of three situations, which are:

1. If the smoke is placed on existing smoke (Result = Fire)
2. If the smoke is placed adjacent to fire (Result = Fire)
3. If the smoke is placed on fire (Result = Explosion)

The situation you mention, a new smoke marker adjacent to an existing fire marker, is the second of three situations you're checking for. In that case, the smoke marker is flipped to a fire marker.

The rules say: "Remember: Smoke Adjacent to Fire = Fire"

To speed play and prevent confusion, we check those situations as we go.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Firedrake wrote:
Smoke. It's more consistent.

wouldn't putting always fire be consistent as well?

mhaviland2 wrote:
In the English rules, page 5, it clearly says to place smoke markers in the Target Space first and then to check for one of three situations, which are:

1. If the smoke is placed on existing smoke (Result = Fire)
2. If the smoke is placed adjacent to fire (Result = Fire)
3. If the smoke is placed on fire (Result = Explosion)

The situation you mention, a new smoke marker adjacent to an existing fire marker, is the second of three situations you're checking for. In that case, the smoke marker is flipped to a fire marker.

The rules say: "Remember: Smoke Adjacent to Fire = Fire"

To speed play and prevent confusion, we check those situations as we go.


exactly. which means you check all those three points before moving forward to explosions, flashovers, etc. right?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Herring
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donatello23 wrote:
mhaviland2 wrote:
In the English rules, page 5, it clearly says to place smoke markers in the Target Space first and then to check for one of three situations, which are:

1. If the smoke is placed on existing smoke (Result = Fire)
2. If the smoke is placed adjacent to fire (Result = Fire)
3. If the smoke is placed on fire (Result = Explosion)

The situation you mention, a new smoke marker adjacent to an existing fire marker, is the second of three situations you're checking for. In that case, the smoke marker is flipped to a fire marker.

The rules say: "Remember: Smoke Adjacent to Fire = Fire"

To speed play and prevent confusion, we check those situations as we go.


exactly. which means you check all those three points before moving forward to explosions, flashovers, etc. right?


Agreed. So, rolling an empty space with a hotspot wouldn't prevent an explosion if you happen to roll the exact same space.

Order of Resolution
The Advance Fire phase has a number of different steps. The order in which the steps should be completed is:
1. Roll for and resolve the Advance Fire.
2. Resolve any Explosions if needed.
3. Resolve any Flashovers if needed.
4. Resolve any Hazmat explosions if needed.
• Add a Hot Spot marker to the Hazmat space if there was a Hazmat Explosion
5. Resolve Flare Ups if needed. (repeat this process from step 1).
• Add a Hot Spot marker to the Advance Fire Target space if there was a Flare Up.
6. Resolve Knock Downs, Lost POI or Victims
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmbmb
aleuhe wrote:
Order of Resolution
The Advance Fire phase has a number of different steps. The order in which the steps should be completed is:
1. Roll for and resolve the Advance Fire.
2. Resolve any Explosions if needed.
3. Resolve any Flashovers if needed.
4. Resolve any Hazmat explosions if needed.
• Add a Hot Spot marker to the Hazmat space if there was a Hazmat Explosion
5. Resolve Flare Ups if needed. (repeat this process from step 1).
• Add a Hot Spot marker to the Advance Fire Target space if there was a Flare Up.
6. Resolve Knock Downs, Lost POI or Victims


I play that step 1 includes rerolling if you rolled a hotspot. Before step 3, resolving flashovers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Haviland
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aleuhe wrote:
donatello23 wrote:
mhaviland2 wrote:
In the English rules, page 5, it clearly says to place smoke markers in the Target Space first and then to check for one of three situations, which are:

1. If the smoke is placed on existing smoke (Result = Fire)
2. If the smoke is placed adjacent to fire (Result = Fire)
3. If the smoke is placed on fire (Result = Explosion)

The situation you mention, a new smoke marker adjacent to an existing fire marker, is the second of three situations you're checking for. In that case, the smoke marker is flipped to a fire marker.

The rules say: "Remember: Smoke Adjacent to Fire = Fire"

To speed play and prevent confusion, we check those situations as we go.


exactly. which means you check all those three points before moving forward to explosions, flashovers, etc. right?


Agreed. So, rolling an empty space with a hotspot wouldn't prevent an explosion if you happen to roll the exact same space.

Order of Resolution
The Advance Fire phase has a number of different steps. The order in which the steps should be completed is:
1. Roll for and resolve the Advance Fire.
2. Resolve any Explosions if needed.
3. Resolve any Flashovers if needed.
4. Resolve any Hazmat explosions if needed.
• Add a Hot Spot marker to the Hazmat space if there was a Hazmat Explosion
5. Resolve Flare Ups if needed. (repeat this process from step 1).
• Add a Hot Spot marker to the Advance Fire Target space if there was a Flare Up.
6. Resolve Knock Downs, Lost POI or Victims



That's it exactly. Just like the OP suggests, we resolve as we go as there's the potential to forget what was what and where.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterHendee wrote:
aleuhe wrote:
Order of Resolution
The Advance Fire phase has a number of different steps. The order in which the steps should be completed is:
1. Roll for and resolve the Advance Fire.
2. Resolve any Explosions if needed.
3. Resolve any Flashovers if needed.
4. Resolve any Hazmat explosions if needed.
• Add a Hot Spot marker to the Hazmat space if there was a Hazmat Explosion
5. Resolve Flare Ups if needed. (repeat this process from step 1).
• Add a Hot Spot marker to the Advance Fire Target space if there was a Flare Up.
6. Resolve Knock Downs, Lost POI or Victims


I play that step 1 includes rerolling if you rolled a hotspot. Before step 3, resolving flashovers.
Step 5 is rerolling for hot spots, so should come after flashovers and explosions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Taber
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my RPG blog at http://www.usandacat.com/thelair!
badge
Work hard, play hard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark is correct.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Johnson
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh. Thanks. In that case I don't understand why you'd place smoke next to fire either, since in all circumstances it will immediately turn to fire. Am I missing something?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robinjohnson wrote:
Huh. Thanks. In that case I don't understand why you'd place smoke next to fire either, since in all circumstances it will immediately turn to fire. Am I missing something?


Nope, I think you're right.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
robinjohnson wrote:
Huh. Thanks. In that case I don't understand why you'd place smoke next to fire either, since in all circumstances it will immediately turn to fire. Am I missing something?


as I see it: you may put smoke and then immediately change it into fire if you like to play 100% "by the book" - but for some it's unnecessary fidlliness cause it's the same as putting fire right away
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.