Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

D-Day at Omaha Beach» Forums » Rules

Subject: Steps per unit rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Loonen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Avatar
Hi guys.

Go this game last week and started to read the rulebook. It's a pretty heavy pill, so after some pages I decided to make it a play&learn. It works pretty good, but I'm stuck about one (probably a noobish) thing.

The steps per unit. Are these actions which I can do? So a unit with 2 steps can do 2 actions? Or are these steps just to indicate something else?

I also saw this in another thread:
etagimbo, you mean after the marker is flip to it's "third" side, correct? Just flipping the infantry doesn't make it a catastrophic loss. The marker on the board has to be striped for the unit to be counted as a catastrophic loss.

Flipping it to it's 3rd side? I don't understand exacrly what is mean by this. I flip a unit when it loses a atep to it's backside. And then I remove it from the game to the critical losses box when I have to flip it again.

Thanks in advance for your replies!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Garbett
United Kingdom
Walsall
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Steps represent the strength of the unit and have no relationship to actions. Each unit can only perform 1 action per turn.

Some of the game counters have a band running through the middle of them. These are weakened versions of the full strength units - you'll notice that the unit identifiers are the same. Start with the full strength counter, when this takes two hits move the original counter into the catastrophic losses box and put the banded reduced strength counter into the hex.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Loonen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Avatar
Garbinho wrote:
Steps represent the strength of the unit and have no relationship to actions. Each unit can only perform 1 action per turn.

Some of the game counters have a band running through the middle of them. These are weakened versions of the full strength units - you'll notice that the unit identifiers are the same. Start with the full strength counter, when this takes two hits move the original counter into the catastrophic losses box and put the banded reduced strength counter into the hex.


Ah superb and thanks for your quick reply.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

If you haven't done so already, I suggest you check the "how-to play" videos. Watch a gameturn, then play one yourself and so on.
Here's a link to Ronnie Tucker's latest series:

video


3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Also note that some units start with 4 steps, and therefore have a 3 side on reverse, and then have a separate counter to track their 2 and 1 sides. Other's stsrt with only 2 steps, and therefore only have 1 counter total.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Loonen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Avatar
Thanks you guys. Makes a lot more scence now. 1 quick question still after watching that video;

I thought that the armor could only pass the tanktraps when that beachhex was cleared? Or am I not understanding the terrain rules right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Garbett
United Kingdom
Walsall
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They can cross the tank traps and get as far as the shingle. Clearing of the tank traps means mine explosions don't happen in those hexes when a card is turned with the mine symbol.

Whether you'll want to spend precious actions on moving your tanks forward is another question!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuele Falco
msg tools
mbmbmb
Loonens wrote:
Thanks you guys. Makes a lot more scence now. 1 quick question still after watching that video;

I thought that the armor could only pass the tanktraps when that beachhex was cleared? Or am I not understanding the terrain rules right?


Basically, during the fist half of the game, all the no-infantry units cannot cross shingles, anti-tack ditches, see-walls, etc and reach the pavilion hexes. During all the game turns, these units can cross beach hexes with cleared or un-cleared mines.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Garbinho wrote:
Whether you'll want to spend precious actions on moving your tanks forward is another question!
Once you plan to go beyond turn 16 you definitely do, and even before then a few well placed barrages can can be vital. All the more reason to stack tanks early; that way you get two for one barrages and movement

Reduced tank units alone in a hex have a tendency to go for a bath in my games though
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brown
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find tanks extremely valuable even before turn 16, since they are one of the few units that can generate AR or MG. A reduced tank + infantry stack is a great team to clear out those WN positions adjacent to the shingle. Then you can switch to infantry tailed by the tank for those positions 2 away from the shingle.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.