Hide
13 Posts

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game – Exodus Expansion» Forums » Variants

Subject: Playing without executions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter F
msg tools
I Just bought Exodus.after Reading the rulebook i found that executions dont sound that Great.especially that there is a chance that only One cylone is in the game (5 player).
Are those fears baseless? How much hassle is it to remove it and would you recomend it?
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends very much on the group whether you even will have any executions or not.

The extra loyalty card is working against rampant executions, because it can make a player a cylon.

So your fears may be baseless or they may be real. You need to play to see.

In our group executions happen quite seldom, even with Cally in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
The extra loyalty card is working against rampant executions, because it can make a player a cylon.

Also the extra loyalty card is intended to be used in conjunction with Final Five and Personal Goals, which theoretically adds to the intrigue, and the danger of examining Loyalty cards.

Pegasus Executions are more of a Loyalty Detector that usually costs 1 Morale. But Exodus attempted to fix that problem, so they are a rarer occurrence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter F
msg tools
i dont mind executions per se but more the possibility that there is just one cylon the whole game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
headput1 wrote:
i dont mind executions per se but more the possibility that there is just one cylon the whole game.

It is a tradeoff for sure. Exodus didn't fix the issue perfectly, and its extra-loyalty-card rule actually *encourages* more executions if the Cylon suspects that his buddy is the bottom card.

My suggestion if this concerns you:
Try using Exodus, but do *not* add the extra card to the Loyalty Deck. Still use Final Five and Personal Goals though.
Then there is still a guarantee of 2 Cylon cards in circulation by the Sleeper phase, and a risk of execution because the human's replacement might be forced to play suboptimally.

Alternatively, some people use a house rule that if the bottom card turns out to be the second You Are A Cylon card at the end of the game, then automatically subtract 1 from each dial and the Cylon still wins if any of those go down to 0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter F
msg tools
but with this change, an executed player is guaranteed to come back as human. i will try it the normal way and see how it plans out.
how much efford does it take to remove execution completly?
afaik there is just cally and 2 final five cards. but what about the crisis deck and the other cards?

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
headput1 wrote:
but with this change, an executed player is guaranteed to come back as human.

Right, which is why Personal Goals and Final Five loyalties ostensibly help. Because you're not sure if the replacement card will be pure "You Are Not A Cylon", or "You Are Not A Cylon with a twist", and it is to the Cylon's advantage to encourage this confusion, and (when the extra card is there) to encourage the Cylons to hide out awhile so the Humans don't know if the other card is still in the deck or not.
It's part of the metagame at that point.

Quote:
how much efford does it take to remove execution completly?
afaik there is just cally and 2 final five cards. but what about the crisis deck and the other cards?

It sounds like you're not using the Pegasus expansion, so you don't need to worry about the Airlock, Dee, or Admiral Cain..

You pretty much can't play Ionian Nebula without executions. But I recommend sticking with Kobol anyway.

There are a few crises that talk about Executions, though, (I don't know them by heart) that you can either remove or come up with a house rule for (like "go to sickbay and discard all your cards" or something).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter F
msg tools
no, i just own daybreak and now exodus.

havent thought about the meta game, that the last cylon might be on the bottom. but i dont think its that relevant compared to the possibility that there is just one.
its kinda like the base game where there might be a cylon pre sleeper, or after sleeper both cylon cards in the hand of one player or not.
thanks for your input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:

Alternatively, some people use a house rule that if the bottom card turns out to be the second You Are A Cylon card at the end of the game, then automatically subtract 1 from each dial and the Cylon still wins if any of those go down to 0.
Accounts also say to damage Galactica twice (cannot divert to Peggy for those that still have her around), and advance each centurion +1. That covers the 3 main loss conditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cally's OPG could be something like:
"Action: Choose a player in the same in the same location as you. That player discards all their skill cards, and loses all titles to the player other than themselves highest in the line of succession. Reveal one random loyalty card belonging to that player; if it is a Cylon card, they move to the Brig, if it is a human card, they move to Sickbay."

So you get a slightly weaker Cylon execution (they're still a legal target for XO and if they reveal, they'll get a super crisis) and a slightly different human execution (no morale penalty, no loss of miracle ability [daybreak only], but the character goes to sickbay instead of coming back on a useful location). And you importantly don't get a guaranteed Cylon result even if they are Cylon, which keeps some of the mystery.

Remove all the execution crises (don't forget super crises) and the 2 "Final Five" cards that deal with it... I'd also check the Quorum deck... all that should be OK. If you're playing Exodus without Cylon Fleet board, you should remove all Exodus crises and the CAG chooses super crisis anyway, which solves that problem nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
"Action: Choose a player in the same in the same location as you. That player discards all their skill cards, and loses all titles to the player other than themselves highest in the line of succession. Reveal one random loyalty card belonging to that player; if it is a Cylon card, they move to the Brig, if it is a human card, they move to Sickbay."

So you get a slightly weaker Cylon execution (they're still a legal target for XO and if they reveal, they'll get a super crisis) and a slightly different human execution (no morale penalty, no loss of miracle ability [daybreak only], but the character goes to sickbay instead of coming back on a useful location). And you importantly don't get a guaranteed Cylon result even if they are Cylon, which keeps some of the mystery.

Remove all the execution crises (don't forget super crises) and the 2 "Final Five" cards that deal with it... I'd also check the Quorum deck... all that should be OK. If you're playing Exodus without Cylon Fleet board, you should remove all Exodus crises and the CAG chooses super crisis anyway, which solves that problem nicely.
Why not just brig a human player too then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
InfoCynic wrote:

Why not just brig a human player too then?

Eh, I guess. Just thought it made more thematic sense. Cally thinks you're a Cylon, she shoots you, somehow while you're passed out, Doc figures out whether you're a Cylon or not. If you're human, Doc keeps you in sickbay to tend your wounds better (you still lose your titles because you were obviously so critically injured that the stress of doing your job would be too much); if you're a Cylon, they throw you in the Brig so they can interrogate you more later.

There's a reason I don't normally post in variants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last game I played in person, Cally actually did execute someone - by playing the Execute Prisoner Quorum card on former-Admiral Mutineer Adama. It didn't actually make much difference to the game - his replacement was one of only two characters out of the Brig when the Jump to 8 distance used up the last Fuel, with Morale still at 6 or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.