GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,434 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Warhammer 40,000: Conquest» Forums » General

Subject: How "complete" is this game with 3 cycles? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there, Warhammer 40K Conquest had always been a game I was thinking about to get in. The fact that it won't be continued doesn't bother me. Can anybody tell me whether the game is complete/balanced with the available cards? Or are there many design choices not fully explored or any grave balancing issues among the factions? For example I know that deep strike is something only newly introduced and therefore somewhat unrefined (?). I think I either pick up a used complete collection now or there won't be any chance in the future as hunting down single packs will be harder and harder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keeping in mind that the last two Deathworld packs aren't out yet.

As of the end of the Planetfall Cycle, with the Great Devourer and Legions of Death, the game was in a pretty good state. There were a lot of things that could have been explored more, such as the warlords that fundamentally alter deck construction (there's only two of these). Last month's pack added a new Ethereal for the Tau, so clearly that concept could have been explored more.

In short, there was a lot of room for the game to keep growing. I think one of the last two packs includes a Slaanesh warlord for Chaos, that's the one really big gap in the current warlord options.

As for balance, I'm not 100% sure. Again, before Deathworld it was fairly balanced (though there may have been some hideous combo I haven't seen or heard of.)

Also, I'm not sure how well fleshed out the deep striking mechanic will end up being, when Deathworlds is over, or how balanced the factions will be. (Deathworlds does not include a warlord for every faction. The intent was probably to spread the warlord balance out over three cycles, but that's not going to happen, now.) Necrons did get their third warlord. Marines and Imperial Guard, have gotten a fourth, and as I mentioned earlier, Chaos is slated to get a fourth. This isn't really a balance issue, so much as those factions have more deck building options.

That said, there's a lot of stuff we'll never see. If you were wanting an Imperial Fists warlord, or a Traitor Guard Warlord (which I was kinda hoping for), then, those aren't coming, rather obviously.

I don't think that means Chaos or the AM are going to dominate, and I'm honestly kinda underwhelmed by the Dark Angels warlord.

But, at the same time, I haven't spent a lot of time with the Deathworld packs, so there could be something hilariously imbalanced in there that I've simply missed.

EDIT: D'oh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I appreciate the answer. I never got into Conquest because after LotR LCG I was fed up with never ending/ever expanding game (even though that was the initial charm). I guess I'll try to pick up a complete collection and treat it like a finished deck building game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless the last two packs change things up, Deathworld hasn't done all that much to upset the existing state of balance in Planetfall + Legions of Death. As mentioned, four factions will be one warlord shy. Orks, Tau, and Tyranids are arguably the lowest-power factions, but you can play competitive games with any of them (no auto-losses; they're just a little harder to deck-build and play).

Ideally, we would have gotten one more cycle after Deathworld (since then we would have had four warlords for every faction, and possibly more Deep Strike cards and power boosters for Orks, Tau, and/or Tyranids). But even lacking that, the game is in an excellent state.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even then, the Tau have gotten some really interesting cards in the last couple packs. (I'm less sure of the Orks and 'nids new cards.) So there really are still reasons to play those factions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Before Deathworld the game was very well balanced. Some factions were easier to play than others, but I believe that all factions had a competitive build available. That is evidenced by the fact that all factions had a Store Champ win this year.

Deathworld is still going on so it's hard to evaluate how it truly effected the game state. Unless something is obviously strong (like Worr when he came out) Conquest's meta actually is a little slower to change than some other games so we could still see quite a bit of change in the meta before the end of the game even though we only have two packs left.

The big things Deathworld introduced was the Deep Strike mechanic, which so far hasn't been overpowered. It just offered a new interesting card type. Also Deathworld tried to reinforce the support started in LoD for running elite units and elite heavy decks. That made the meta more diverse now since previously weenie swarm and mid range decks almost always outpaced elite focused decks. Now elite focused decks have swarm answers to compliment the elite answers the swarm decks already had available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the answers. I pulled the trigger and bought a complete set (incl. 3x core sets) for 60% of the retail price. Still, not cheap for a single game. I'll put together decks for all factions and play with friends casually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.