Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall order, but are there any short, simple strategic-level games that help players chart the rough course of World War 2? If the whole war is too much of an ask, I'd prefer one weighted toward the beginning.

Daughter has started learning about it at school and she seems really enthused by it. Thought a game would be a fantastic way to learn the shape of the conflict and some of the harder historical choices. It doesn't have to be a traditional wargame so long as it's history focussed: something on the political or social aspects would do just as well as the strategy.

If there isn't something like this, there ought to be. It'd be a fantastic teaching aid. I might have to think about how to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Someone suggested Quartermaster General in here not so long ago - I think it's what you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
As far as I know there is nothing that quite matches what you are looking for. WW2 is tough to simulate without it being almost completely preprogrammed.

But as mentioned by Eddy in the above post, Quartermaster General matches a few of your criteria.

It does the whole war (including pacific) at the grand strategic level. It plays fast (2 hours, less when you know what you are doing). It has very simple rules for a WW2 game. The cards do all the work. I have taught it to 14 year olds with about 10 minutesof instructions.

On the other hand there is not much social commentary and specific events (other than the card titles). The allies don't land in Normandy as such but instead can just eliminate a German army from western Europe then later place one of their armies in Western Europe. On this scale there is no Normandy only one space for Western Europe. But the war as a whole plays out roughly historically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mycroft Stout
United States
Back and to the Left-
Up a Bit, Perfect
flag msg tools
An old, liberal optimist.
badge
Denmark. Go big or go home. We went home.
mbmbmbmbmb
Blitz! A World in Conflict might work.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/42997/blitz-world-co...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go onto Philip Sabin's website. He and his students have produced a number of games over the years, many of them aimed at illustration rather than complexity or 'strategic depth'. I saw one game of his on the German-Soviet part of the conflict which seemed marvellously illustrative and could be played in about a half hour. Can't remember just where I saw it, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bob_santafe wrote:
I would go onto Philip Sabin's website. He and his students have produced a number of games over the years, many of them aimed at illustration rather than complexity or 'strategic depth'.

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/sspp/departments/warstudies/people/prof...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonie van der Tweel
msg tools
mb
Blitzkrieg General might be suitable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Schachter
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Although not yet published, you might consider GMT's upcoming HITLER'S REICH: A CARD CONQUEST SYSTEM GAME: http://www.gmtgames.com/p-511-hitlers-reich.aspx

GMT posted a host of material regarding it. Perhaps this is what you have in mind?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MattDP wrote:
Tall order, but are there any short, simple strategic-level games that help players chart the rough course of World War 2? If the whole war is too much of an ask, I'd prefer one weighted toward the beginning.

How short and how simple? The Crisis in the West (1937-42) scenario in the to-be-published Cataclysm: A Second World War runs about 60-90 minutes with experience. I would be happy to share playtest/VASSAL materials with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hitler's War?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Nemo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
bob_santafe wrote:
I would go onto Philip Sabin's website. He and his students have produced a number of games over the years, many of them aimed at illustration rather than complexity or 'strategic depth'.

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/sspp/departments/warstudies/people/prof...

Second World War
Eastern Front 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are okay with just Europe, then Triumph and Tragedy is the game. It is easy enough to teach that you can even play it. Plus the map is clean enough that you can walk through the entire war using markers to show countries that either joined the various sides or fell during the conflict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Millar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend GMT's Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe its is an amazing game with low counter density and excellent rules that gives you most of the depth that a World at War or World in Flames provide without the overheads. Many excellent video reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theDEADareMANY wrote:
I recommend GMT's Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe its is an amazing game with low counter density and excellent rules that gives you most of the depth that a World at War or World in Flames provide without the overheads. Many excellent video reviews.

Short and simple Unconditional Surrender is not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Daquin
Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Festung Europa: The Campaign for Western Europe, 1943-1945

easy rules, covers the war on the west from 1944 to the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ricotta
Japan
Okinawa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Churchill tournament scenario would be great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ricottma wrote:
Churchill tournament scenario would be great!

Great as in terrible?

Tournament scenario starts in '44. Besides the fact that the war is almost over, the OP said he wanted something that leaned toward the beginning of the war.

Ditto Festung Europa from the post immediately above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools

rubberchicken wrote:
As far as I know there is nothing that quite matches what you are looking for. WW2 is tough to simulate without it being almost completely preprogrammed.

But as mentioned by Eddy in the above post, Quartermaster General matches a few of your criteria.

It does the whole war (including pacific) at the grand strategic level. It plays fast (2 hours, less when you know what you are doing). It has very simple rules for a WW2 game. The cards do all the work. I have taught it to 14 year olds with about 10 minutesof instructions.

On the other hand there is not much social commentary and specific events (other than the card titles). The allies don't land in Normandy as such but instead can just eliminate a German army from western Europe then later place one of their armies in Western Europe. On this scale there is no Normandy only one space for Western Europe. But the war as a whole plays out roughly historically.

Quartermaster General is indeed a fun game to play. About rough historically, it is not unusual that you see Wehrmacht reach the shore of Indian Ocean or Pacific. Or IJA occupies Australia or New Zealand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ricotta
Japan
Okinawa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Starts before D-Day which we all know is the real start of the war devilgulpshakezombie

Yup, I forgot it started so late, my bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Stone
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge

Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg!

Starts at the very very beginning of the war....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
Silenced - BGG's moderation policies have driven me completely from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
claystone wrote:

Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg!

Starts at the very very beginning of the war....

Small number of pieces on the board - but not what I'd call simple.
Nor short.

Triumph & Tragedy strikes me as the closest out of anything I'd recommend.
But, even that is probably more complex and longer than I'd aim for.

It gives an interesting view, and isn't as silly as Hitler's War.

Cataclysm: A Second World War may be what you're waiting for though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:

Triumph & Tragedy strikes me as the closest out of anything I'd recommend.
But, even that is probably more complex and longer than I'd aim for.

It gives an interesting view, and isn't as silly as Hitler's War.

Cataclysm has the advantage of including the Pacific. However, I found it to be an order of magnitude more difficult than Triumph and Tragedy. 25+ page rulebook which is significantly denser than T&T.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:
calandale wrote:

Cataclysm has the advantage of including the Pacific. However, I found it to be an order of magnitude more difficult than Triumph and Tragedy. 25+ page rulebook which is significantly denser than T&T.

I agree, but I suggested the shortest and easiest scenario, which has only four powers (omitting US, USSR, and Japan). Even so, it might be too much, but I haven't had much success underestimating other people's children

As a teaching tool, Origins of World War II might not be a bad thing. Learning about the subsequent military campaigns under a single game system will be challenging, but setting the table is important too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I've not played it but 2WW: The War in Europe is small and claims to be playable in an evening. There's a paucity of BGG commentary on the game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Europe 1940 combined with Axis & Allies Pacific 1940.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.