Subject: Update #53 is out rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete Wyse
United Kingdom
Farnborough
Hampshire
flag msg tools
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1744629938/the-walking-...

So there's a couple of things I want to say about the unboxing video. First and foremost, I CAN NOT WAIT!! This game looks freaking awesome and I am all kinds of excited.

Also... sidenote... Dungeon Saga IN SPACE (look in the top right of the video).

So this brings me to my biggest concern. The game mats. Now whilst I maxed out on budget for this game, the one thing I didn't get was the neoprene mats. They were very expensive for what they were. That said, now I'm a little worried. When I first backed this game and saw the gaming mats were paper, I was worried. Then I thought "nah, they'll be fine". Seems my first instinct was correct.

Not that the mats "look" bad, but I can see the wear and tear just from being folded in the box. My initial idea was to cut out some 52cm x 52cm MDF and then stick the mats to those (with a nice coating for protection), and I still might. I just wish they'd done them as 4 boards rather than a folded mat. Costs I guess.

I'm also tempted to simply rebuild the mats as gaming "tiles" I guess you could say, using the mats as a guide and replicating them onto 52cm x 52cm boards. Detail wise it's a road and some grass, nothing there to worry about. Problem is, I worked for GW for a long time and my role in the store was board building. I kind of lost the passion for creating terrain, and if I build a proper board for this game I'll have to follow suit and make some buildings.

Really don't have the time for that.

My last option is to get 26cm x 26cm boards and cut the mats up before mounting them. This gives me the play area, protected and mounted, but also gives me more options when creating boards to play on. I also won't need to get out the flock and paint! Just some good ol' fashioned glue and varnish.

With a couple more mats coming in Wave 2, this might be the best option for me. I wonder if B&Q will cut up sixteen 26cm x 26cm MDF boards for me? Shame I'll lose the miniature check list by doing this - would've been handy to keep track of all those survivors.

Anyway, what is everyone else's thoughts on the mats?

- Pete

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
Nice! I like the mounting idea and since I don't want 52cm x 52cm mounted boards all over, I think I prefer the smaller cut "tiled" approach. My main thing is I want to capture the B/W comic nature of everything so my plan is to actually copy the mats (likely a large scale scanner from a printing store), convert to B/W and reprint for me to mount. I've also been wanting to try out monochromatic minis painting so I think this will be the perfect project for it.

I'll be doing terrain in B/W as well but it'll be cardstock buildings that can fold back down for storage (with some extra small terrain bits like the KS cars/barricades but also Mantics Brick line of benches, signs, and other items). I'm super excited about this and pumped that it is going to be here late October/early November.

I had a chance to check out all the bits in the KS box at GenCon and was very pleased about the quality. They didn't have the neoprene mats that I saw (though they might have been using them in the demos) nor did I see the Altanta rulebook but everything else was great. I've been planning for this game for a while now :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Messerly
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I'm happy to wait and buy the mats at retail after I've had a chance to see what they look like. I got the Kickstarter mats set from their Mars Attacks game and was disappointed to find all 4 were exactly the same!
I will never buy another mat from them on faith.

Very excited to see all the final character and gear cards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.