Gladiatoris» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Gladiatoris (English review) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
pedro tronic
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, after 4 plays to this game in LES (it's a boardgame convention organized in Madrid during the month of September) I want to thank from here to the authors to be present at the event as I had followed the game from its origin, 7 years ago: o
Will be there the expectations fulfilled? Is it worth the effort by their authors to launch it?

Gladiatoris is a confrontational boardgame up to 6 players (with expansions, that they want to launch if the base game works) which puts you in the shoes of a lanista which manages a 'ludus' with different fighters each.

In the base game, which it will launch soon on a crowdfunding campaign, we found 4 houses:

Scutarii (Great Shields, reds)

Defensive combat style.
Scutarii jump into the arena armed with heavy rectangular shields (scuta) and short swords (gladii). They protect their legs with greaves (ocreae) or leather straps (fasciae), and their right arms with metal bracers (manica).

Parmularii (Small Shields, greens)

Balanced (between offensive and defensive) combat style.
The Small Shields fight with a small shield (parmula) they only use in the arena. The Thraex fights with a curved or L-shaped dagger (sica), the Hoplomachus uses a spear (hasta), and the Provocator brandishes a long sword (spatha).

Sine Scuto(No Shield, blues)

Offensive combat style.
The Sine Scuto trade protection for speed and enter the arena almost naked. The Retiarius is the icon of this school; armed with trident and net, armoured with a bracer with shoulder pad (galerus). The Laquearius wields similar weapons, but uses a lasso instead of a net. The Dimachaerus is equipped with two swords, one in each hand.

Petauristae (Acrobats, oranges)

Bloodless combat style.
The Acrobats step in the arena during the prolusio, before the actual gladiators, and never fight to the death. They are armed with staves and whips, and make up for their poor equipment with their superb agility and hard training.

Objective of the game
Make more money than anyone else (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, other eurogame with the theme stuck ) ...but yes, in order to win, you have to have most money than anyone at the end of the game, how you get that money? you have several ways:

1 (and fundamental): Acomplish the objectives of the different arenas for the palms that give (a.k.a money, money, money...)
2nd (death and destruction): By the killing and/or knocking out the enemy miniatures you receive instant money (if they die you will get a little more)
3rd Cards: For every equipment card you have on hand at the end of the game you will gain 100 sesterces each card.

Game setup
The first of all it's to choose scenario, there is a especific book for this purpose with many scenarios created (also include one for you do it yourself) like the Adventure book of Heroquest in which it tells you how to play.
Generalizing a bit, one game is a kind of minicampaing itself: you have to play various 'arenas' each with their own specific fighters and rules (basically what recreates this it's as they were fighting at that time, which were a little on music festivals: First, in the opening, play worst band and the quality will be increase until, at night, the celebrities go out.

Typically you play two arenas, in the first usually there are slaves and beasts (cannon fodder to 'warming up') and, in the second, gladiators (although there are scenarios for all kind of tastes and you can have gladiators from the first arena)

The rules will also indicates how the palms are achieved (the palms are awards that are achieved by the objectives proposed in each of the arenas that usually are "Kills the largest number of wild beasts", "or slaves", etc.) in case of tie, the value of the palm should be divided among all affected players.

In addition, each scenario is played on a certain number of turns (you have to go as fast as you can in order to accomplish the goal because they are usually tight and there are not much time to be skulks)

Other features that may have the scenarios are 'the handicaps' (all players start with initial injury), putting more pressure on the arena.

Once mounted the scenario ... starting with the games!

Gaming Phases

1.Choose your equipment: Just choose between the 4 team
2.Choose scenario: What I have explained above.
3.Take a munera card: (You can buy 1 more per 1000 sestercios).
Munera cards are advantages you get by, before the games, you have done wheeling and dealing behind the scene to help to your fighters.
4.Improve your team. Purchase a fighter card.
I have to make a pause here. We have 4 types of miniature by ludus:

Small Wild Beasts

Big Wild Beast

Slaves

Gladiators

Depending on the ludus you have 2 to 3 levels by type of miniature, so that if the scenario tells you that you have to take slaves and big beasts you can, if you want, to invest sesterces in order to increase the level of the miniature to level 2 or level 3 as which usually means throw more dice in attack, defense and have more life (in addition to new and better skills).
In addition, spending money on 'upgrade' these minis is not needless, if these miniatures will be present at the next arena (ie in the two arenas fighting slaves, for example), IF THEY HAVE DIED in the current arena this mini (the level of the mini more specificaly) will not be available in the next battle and you waste your money: P.
5.Arena Phase
a) Arrange the arena (display the board as it's indicated by the scenario book)
b) Assign the doors: This phase is important, roll a blue 12 sided die, the colour means it's venal, you can spent 100 sestercios in order to sum one point to your roll, why is it important? Because the one with the highest roll chooses the deployment of all the players and what position will play throughout the arena (if it will be the first, second, third ..)
c) Fighters Raffle: (Only applies to gladiators) Well you already have your gladiator Level 3 that will give 'show' to the public ... wait! maybe not, you'll need to launch the blue die again to see whether or not out (with 7 or more he's out of the sand, otherwise, it means that the public is bored and not want to see him, so, you know, invest sestercios and make sure your choose goes to the arena)
d) Fighters Deployment (Each scenario has an initial miniatures settings)
e) Previous Wounds (The handicap previously mentioned, not all scenarios will have it)
f) Cronos board. It is a small board where you mark the initial number of rounds of this arena, when it reaches to zero the arena is completed and you have to deploy the next one (or the game ends if it's the last arena)
g) Draw 2 maneuver card: You also have fighter cards which can only be use by the gladiators (a priori) and this cards helps you in battle, they are like: "Make two attacks this turn", "Stop a rival attack"," Move twice ", etc. These cards have a special feature and color, like Magic manna; they can be red (offensive), green (defensive) and blue (wildcard) and each turn you can only play one of each color, so, if player 1 attacks you and you play a green card, until all players don't play their miniatures you can't use another green one (this is in order to avoid combos of typical players who buy as much cards as they can)
At the beginning of the game you get two free cards and you can buy up to 2 more (200 sesterces each).
h) Say hello to the emperor. This phase is to use certain munera cards that indicate "use it at the stage of greeting the emperor" and it's to start with certain advantages.
6.Arena resolving. Following the order of the gates
a) Starting the round. All players draw a maneuver card (except in the 1st round of the arena)
b) Beast phase.
c) Slave phase.
d) Gladiators phase.

Basically b), c) and d) means that first play all the players' beasts, then slaves and finally the gladiators.

e) End of the round.
- Moves 1 space the time token from Cronos board.
- Each player discards cards all maneuvering card that they have use this round.

7.Finishing the arena.
a) Discard maneuver card until you have only 2 (each discarded card makes you win 100 sesterces)
b) Palms present.
-------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------- ------------------
In games of more than 1 Arena, it would begin again from step 4.

Possible actions
In the various wild animals phase, slaves and gladiators you can perform the following actions:
- Move and attack
- Attack and move
- Move & Run (Run it's always a 4 squares move and it has to be the last action)

Each type of model has its own card with 4 values: (Movement, Attack dice, Defense dice and life), plus special features that have that kind of figure (which depends on the level it has more or less special abilities)

Movement: Indicates the number of hex you can move your miniature.
Attack and Defense: The number of throwing dice of each type.
Life: When it reaches to zero the miniature is ko (if it's a gladiator, ask the public whether to die or not throwing the dice blue (can invest money on it), with +7 the public yell for mercy because he has given a good show and, although from this arena it's removed, he/she can fight in the next one, if not... you're screwed

The attack and defense dice: They are d12 too and basically in its sides have successes, empty (nothing), blunder, takedowns and critical hit (it will give you a hit and a reroll)...the defense dice it is the same but for defense, ie, for every success in the defense dice you stop one attack hit and if you get a critical defense you have a defense and you reroll the dice until you stop to roll critical defense.
The miscues in the attack mean that or those dice with miscue throws the defender and, if you take hits, the attacker takes as many wounds as successes has been on the roll without the possibility of any defense.
Takedowns mean that the gladiators and/or slaves (beasts are not applied by the effect) fall to the ground so they will have one less defense dice and, in his/her turn, he/she have to spend 2 movement points to rise.

And so on the different round moving the different types of minis and attacking/defending with them until either the board Cronos comes to an end or a player/players completes the arena's goal.

Veredit
Although I leave a few details in the pipeline (as traps that can arise in the arenas or pavidus marker in order to prevent the turtling player) I think you can get an idea of ​​what the game can offer to you, a skirmish game between two or more players in an arena.
The games are quite agile and the rules are simple so any regular player will catch the rules quickly. These are based on death and destruction (what is rewarded) but this does not detract have depth (obviously without a wargame) and have different tactics to follow; in addition, each house is different enough and you have to adapt to your 'team mode'
It is a dice festival... yes, of course, but that's good, because, as you do many rolls with many dice luck just diluted and generally the player which has positioned well in the game and played better their cards usually boost with victory.
The minis whom I use to play the sessions unfortunately are not final version, watching the 3d models that they have posted on its website, seems very well and they told me they are mounted and each house in different color (open and play boardgame )

For me it is a game of 8-9, simple rules, works better with more than two players (I have played 3 and 4 and both options have seemed equally good to me), a lot of scenarios and an time length of very good (we played scenarios with 2 arenas in 2 hours or even less if the first arena is small or has just a fewer minis)

Could be considered negative for some gaming sector player elimination...it can happen but, thanks to the Cronos board, if a player was eliminated, it will usually be 2-3 turns before the end so you're talking about 10 to 15 minute of waiting (nothing serious); There is also possible 2 vs 1 but hey, that can happen in many, many games and the only solution it's not to play with such players, cause nothing you can do.

Designers told me that they want to launch the kickstarter at Christmas, I just hope they do a good campaign and the proyect will be funded because the game is quite good and well, it would be the starting gun for all the expansions they have already done (chariots race, new types of minis, new teams, new cards...more of everything: D: D)

Finally, sorry for all the gramatical mistakes, English it's not my mother tongle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
portland
OR
flag msg tools
Except Colt Express!
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
pedrotronic wrote:

Finally, sorry for all the gramatical mistakes, English it's not my mother tongle

Actually didn't find the grammar that bad, Great informative review. But I was confused by the "12d" does this mean their are 12 dice (12d6?) or the dice have 12 sides (d12)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pedro tronic
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a 12 sided dice...How should I write it? Just to be as clear as possible

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanarch
msg tools
> But I was confused by the "12d" does this mean their are 12 dice (12d6?) or the dice have 12 sides (d12)?

They are twelve-sided dice There are some different types but they all are D12.

On FB you can see them in some pics from the prototype. A couple of them:

https://www.facebook.com/Gladiatoris/photos/a.416296468822.1...
https://www.facebook.com/Gladiatoris/photos/a.10154016490628...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pedro tronic
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fixed it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the review, its nice to hear people speak of it in english so that the rules are more clear to me.

I've been waiting for this game to get released for some years now, glad to see it is finally getting there. I'd still would want to see it played in english on youtube or such though to truly know if I'd like the gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Dominguez
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
I'm ready to spend money on this game. It looks great
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Temprano
Spain
Valladolid
flag msg tools
designer
GLADIATORIS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yynderjohn wrote:
I'm ready to spend money on this game. It looks great

Thanks!

Have you seen the new components?

Gladiatoris Kickstarter, only 2 days to go!

4 Teams in the basic box: Big Shields, Small Shields, No Shield, Acrobats.
3 Extra Teams (OP): Murmillones, Thraeces, Retiariae.

More information here: http://www.escenarys.com/en/home/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanarch
msg tools
Rhalius wrote:
Thanks for the review, its nice to hear people speak of it in english so that the rules are more clear to me.

I've been waiting for this game to get released for some years now, glad to see it is finally getting there. I'd still would want to see it played in english on youtube or such though to truly know if I'd like the gameplay.

There’s been an intense debate within the design team, but we finally decided against the gameplay videos (briefly: the final components are designed, not produced [hence the KS] and showing our prototypes was not fair to the quality of our components and could create legal issues).

But we’re publishing a draft of the rules and you’ll be able to get a very precise impression about the gameplay.

In case, you can always comment or ask any question here. We’ve been 8 years non-stop with Gladiatoris and we still love to talk about our game. That is not going to end anytime soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanarch
msg tools
Rhalius wrote:
I'd still would want to see it played in english on youtube or such though to truly know if I'd like the gameplay.

After much thought and debate (and after receiving a lot of requests from friends and forums), we've decided to upload to KS an old video from some years ago, with English subtitles. It's not exactly a real game play, but a quick summary of how a typical game would play out.

Also, the rules summary is almost ready to upload. Both the video and the rules summary will give an accurate idea of how the game is played.

You can see our video on Youtube:

Please take into account that the components shown in this video are part of our old prototype.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to say but that video looks horrible.
Tings move way too fast and after watching it I still have no clue how the game actually works.
The ending with the faked game session also leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. Besides the bad acting I just don't get the ending - is it possible to win even if defeated by simply having the right card at the right time or what exactly happens in that situation?

Are we going to get at proper video explanation at some point?
I am interested in the game, but reluctant to back with the current information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pedro tronic
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andrak wrote:

is it possible to win even if defeated by simply having the right card at the right time or what exactly happens in that situation?

Yes, you can win if you have the right cards in the right time but it's extremely difficult to do that (you need to have in your hand 2 specific unique cards and be one of the two last stand gladiators (only the gladiators can use the cards) and the other must be enough injuried to be killed by your combo card attack)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Temprano
Spain
Valladolid
flag msg tools
designer
GLADIATORIS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andrak wrote:
Sorry to say but that video looks horrible.
Tings move way too fast and after watching it I still have no clue how the game actually works.
The ending with the faked game session also leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. Besides the bad acting I just don't get the ending - is it possible to win even if defeated by simply having the right card at the right time or what exactly happens in that situation?

Are we going to get at proper video explanation at some point?
I am interested in the game, but reluctant to back with the current information.

Well, that's not untrue

It's a non-commercial video made some years ago (2010) and kind of (geeky) amateurish. We were certainly reluctant to upload it, for all kind of good reasons, and only agreed to it after some friends who had watched (and taken part in it) insisted A LOT.

Maybe it was not a good idea after all. It's certainly not up to our current standards for our product.

We are currently in California, working on a proper video playthrough as required by fans. But it will still take some days.

Thank you for your interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
- -
msg tools
The game looks great and looks like a lot of fun. In Spain everyone is talking very well about this game that is now in kickstarter, I hope you have good luck with the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Temprano
Spain
Valladolid
flag msg tools
designer
GLADIATORIS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
durantula wrote:
The game looks great and looks like a lot of fun. In Spain everyone is talking very well about this game that is now in kickstarter, I hope you have good luck with the campaign.

Thank you very much. Really, we are delighted with the good reviews received.

Don't forget to vote for your favorite gladiator/beast!

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1667460/which-gladiatoris-m...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.